ShareReactor domino effect

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto
ShareReactor Domino Effect Continues
March 16, 2004
Thomas Mennecke

The fall of the ShareReactor Empire is having far reaching effects in the file-sharing world. The impact of its collapse is just beginning to take effect, as the well-respected eDonkey2000 statistical site Jigle.com has gone off-line.

The administrator of the site, Melange, has closed the site, at least temporary. For now, the explanation is vague, and refers to not wanting to cause further harm to Simon Moon. We have contacted Melange and hope to update this story soon. The following is from Jigle.com:

Sorry, this service is closed until further notice.

Reason: The ShareReactor has been shut down due to legal issues (if you speak German read here) and it is unclear whether and when it will return. I'm not aware that anything is going on against my person, but I do not want to cause further costs to Simon Moon and therefore have decided to shut my services down.

So long and thanks to all the people that helped me through the previous two years with this project,

Melange.

Jigle Update:

Sorry, this service is closed.

The ShareReactor has been shut down due to legal issues (if you speak german read here) and it is unclear whether and when it will return. Since my servers are hosted there I've decided to shut my services down even though it seems it was decided to kindly leave them running. How could I cause SimonMoon any additional financial costs in the situation he is in now?

I had (and still have) several principles in this project: make a neutral statistical service, be legal, no ads, no filename tagging, try to cause least possible load on the ed2k network. I say that to to give two answers to some of the questions I got from your e-Mails: No, I will not sell it and I will also not open-source it. I simply fear I would hate to see the results of either of these options. Also, moving the service is not easy because it involves moving a 30G file in order to put the filename history back up.

Finally, I've really grown tired of all this in the recent time, please forgive me, but it's a good time to stop for a while. I will donate my hardware to SimonMoon so he can sell it or do whathever he thinks is the right thing to do, if he wants. I'm so sorry about all this.

So long, thanks to all the people that helped me through the previous two years with this project, THANK YOU for your wonderfull e-mails you've sent me recently,

Christian (melange@jigle.com).

Update: ACFmovies.com (Asia Cinema Forum), in response to the latest ShareReactor developments has taken its release page off line. It will no longer offer its wide variety of Asian movie links to the eDonkey2000 community. Here is the official word from the site administrator:

"Due to the latest developments, ACF will no longer provide ed2k links. You can still get/post releases in other forums, but not here please.

We hope that many of you will stay here anyway and discuss about Asian cinema, music, games etc. New sections will follow shortly.

Maybe the situation will calm down so we can start anew"