School Board Approves Birth Control Prescriptions at Maine Middle School

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Karrie, from what I've read of your posts you may be sitting on the fence now, but i don't believe you're planted there firmly. It's good to be open minded like you are. Sitting on the fence until all the facts are in is a good place to be. But I don't think you'd stay there once the facts were in.

I think condom would be a better choice over birth control pills. I wonder why that wasn't advicated? Pharmecuetical company got their hands out to donate to the school budgets?

Curio, what is this STD shots thing you mentioned?

I believe this is what she is talking about:

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2006/07/18/cervical-cancer.html

This "vaccine" is against HPV which causes approxamatley 70% of cervical cancers. The reasonong for this vaccine is to have the girls immunized well before they become sexually active thereby helping to prevent HPV from being contracted when they are sexually active in their 20's and 30's.

I believe it's somewhere around 90% of the population becomes infected with some form of HPV by the time the are 50 years old. HPV is not only spread through intercourse but that IS the most common way.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Curio, what is this STD shots thing you mentioned?

I think she's referring to the Human Papilloma Virus vaccine, Gardasil. It's raised a lot of controversy, because some school districts feel that allowing girls to get it (it prevents contraction of the STD responsible for most cervical cancer), will bring about a false sense of security, and lead to more promiscuity.

I intend for my daughter to get it, because frankly, unless she is 100% monogamous with a boy who was 100% monogamous with her, there's no way to protect against HPV. Thankfully, by the time she's old enough, it should be fairly proven as to side effects.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie, from what I've read of your posts you may be sitting on the fence now, but i don't believe you're planted there firmly. It's good to be open minded like you are. Sitting on the fence until all the facts are in is a good place to be. But I don't think you'd stay there once the facts were in.

You're probably right there Twila... like I said... I'd probably be voicing an opinion against in my own school district.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
How about this. If you get a B+ or better on a math test you earn a pack of condoms. If you don't, you get a Playboy magazine and get sent to the washroom.

flutterby

Time Out
Oct 3, 2007
I think the handing out of prescription drugs to children should be illegal, even if it IS birth control.

Condoms and education ought to do the job just fine, and if they don't, well it's still wrong to go allowing young people to take drugs the side-effects of which are so varied and unknown
good point. kids in middle school aren't old enough to understand the possible longterm effects of birth control pills.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
UPDATE: I found this VERY interesting:

Rev. Debra Haffner 1 hour, 45 minutes ago

The articles and TV news stories on the Portland school board's 7 - 2 decision to provide prescription contraceptives at school based health clinics in middle school have featured alarming headlines like "Kiddie Birth Control," "Birth Control for Kids?" and "Birth Control Pills for 11-Year-Old Girls." What most have failed to mention is that only five students seen in the middle school clinic reported that they were having sexual intercourse, and they were all 14 and 15. They also don't mention that parents have to give permission for their children to be seen in the clinics.

The debates rant about the sexualization of the culture, but they have also ignored the fact that 94 percent of middle school adolescents have not had sexual intercourse [PDF, page 20], and that fewer young teens are having sex today than did 15 years ago. This is good news about young adolescent sexual behavior that never seems to make the headlines.

No one thinks that 11- and 12-year-olds should be having sex of any kind, not even 11-and 12-year-olds. As a minister, as a public health professional, and as a parent of two teenagers, I strongly believe that middle schoolers are not physically, emotionally, or spiritually ready for mature sexual relationships. I also know from the research that when young teens are having sex it's often with people who are much older than they are and that these teenagers are most often not doing well in other parts of their lives. Sexually involved early adolescents are often disconnected from their parents, doing poorly in school, and engaging in other high risk behaviors like drinking and drugs. In other words, they are troubled young people and they need our help.

And our support. I'm hoping the protocol in those middle school clinics requires offering these young teenagers extensive counseling about the risks of sexual behaviors and encouragement for involving parents and other adults in their decisions. Based on my own 30 years experience counseling teens, I know that most young teens will involve their parents if they are encouraged to do so and many can be helped to rethink their decisions about sex.

But, not all of them. And that's where the Portland school board got it right. For surely if we don't think young teens should be having sex, we also know that those who are, should be protected from pregnancy and STDs. We agree as a society to say to our young people, we don't want you to drink, but if you are going to drink, don't risk your lives by driving under the influence. Scary headlines aside, can we agree to say, we don't want you to have sex, but if you do, don't risk your health and your future?

source: huffington post