Saskatchewan cuisine?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
That's a Ukrainian thing.

I grew up in Saskatchewan and have never heard about it until I had Christmas with my wife's family where its a tradition.

It is boiled in honey with walnuts scattered on top (at least the way my mom makes it). Its actually quite tasty.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen

I grew up in Saskatchewan and have never heard about it until I had Christmas with my wife's family where its a tradition.
Yup had 5 of those christmas diners...best part of my marriage next to easter morning horseradish on everything fun....actually skip easter mornings...trust me.....She called it Kasha, the first dish followed by eleven fish dishes...mmmmmm her mom and her cooked awesome...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Section 29

Was a dish named after one of the sections on the family farm in Saskatchewan that was almost too hilly to plow. Section 29 was basically a rich beef stew in a big pan with biscuits baked on the top. Somebody commented that it looked like that hilly section and the name stuck. (circa 1910)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

I think we are talking about "buckwheat kasha", Either whole grain or cracked buckwheat cooked like rice. Has more flavour than rice.