Saddam's Killing Field

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
But if you want to discuss this fair and balanced, then where are Western-European powers in the picture, or the UN?

You forgot the former USSR...they are in this neck-deep too.

The UN was basically rendered ineffective in the Middle East (still is, really) because the US, Britain, France, and Russia (and now China, but they are a relative newcomer) all had interest in the oil. The western nations divvied the place up after WWI, they installed and controlled governments, they treated the people like garbage, they discouraged modernization of anything but the oil fields.

The US was and still is the biggest player when it comes to that. They have been the most involved, especially since WWII, and have arguably been the most brutal.

Does Europe deserve to shoulder some of the blame? Most definitely. The lion's share of responsibility really goes to Exxon...the Rockefeller family really...and the US government though. The historical facts all point to that.

There is a similar pattern still playing out in South America. There are the beginnings of it in Africa. It is a different kind of colonialism, but it is still colonialism and the brutal results are still the same, and just as predictable.

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto
Re: RE: Saddam's Killing Field

Twila said:
Fox news......we report you decide. And now a word from Bill O'Reilly...."SHUT UP" yes, that's right they report and you decide (so long as you decide in their favour or at least keep your mouth shut)\

Bill O'Reilly does not report the news. He has an opinion talk show that discusses current events. He and much of the opinion shows on Fox News lean right. The reporting on Fox News is straight down the middle.

Fox News broke the story on George Bush's DUI arrest 3 or 4 days before the 2000 election. Before Fox News broke that story, Bush had a 6 or 7 point lead over Gore. A couple of days later it turned out to be one of the closest elections in American presidential history. The reporting is indeed fair and balanced.

One must be able to distinguish the difference between news and opinion.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
Reverend Blair said:
[The UN was basically rendered ineffective in the Middle East (still is, really) because the US, Britain, France, and Russia (and now China, but they are a relative newcomer) all had interest in the oil. The western nations divvied the place up after WWI, they installed and controlled governments, they treated the people like garbage, they discouraged modernization of anything but the oil fields.
The US was and still is the biggest player when it comes to that. They have been the most involved, especially since WWII, and have arguably been the most brutal.

I love the truth. Thanks Reverend for putting it clearly. Now we should ask ourselves: Why the people of the ME have such animosity towards the West? The answer is in Bold above.

Paco

Electoral Member
Jul 6, 2004
7000 ft. asl and on full auto

moghrabi said:
BTW and FYI Rick, The Kurds were not gassed by Saddam. The poisonous gas used at that time was from Iran. Iraq did not have this type of gas.

As for the invasion of Kuwait, Saddam got full invitation to do so from the US ambassador to Iraq or representative. The US wanted him to invade first to scare the people who have the oil fields and provide them protection after kicking Saddam out (insuring solid Oil flow). And second, to put Saddam on the black list and go after him as they did, so they have his oil.

While American Soldiers Are Showering in Saddam's Bathroom Nearby Presidential Palace:

"We have killed most of the [coalition] infidels, and I think we will finish off the rest soon." --Moham-med Saeed al-Sahaf

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Yeah, I've seen some of their fair and balanced reporting. What they call straight news looks like an Uncle Sam recruiting poster. One of the first things you learn in photography is what to leave out of a picture. Fox leaves an awful lot out...and not just in the pictures they show.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada

Paco said:
moghrabi said:
BTW and FYI Rick, The Kurds were not gassed by Saddam. The poisonous gas used at that time was from Iran. Iraq did not have this type of gas.

As for the invasion of Kuwait, Saddam got full invitation to do so from the US ambassador to Iraq or representative. The US wanted him to invade first to scare the people who have the oil fields and provide them protection after kicking Saddam out (insuring solid Oil flow). And second, to put Saddam on the black list and go after him as they did, so they have his oil.

While American Soldiers Are Showering in Saddam's Bathroom Nearby Presidential Palace:

"We have killed most of the [coalition] infidels, and I think we will finish off the rest soon." --Moham-med Saeed al-Sahaf

I would appreciate not calling me any other name but mine. As for the information I posted above, you should be aware that just before the invasion of Iraq in 1990, Saddam met with a lady ambassador and he got the green light. She told him that this is an internal matter between Arabs and the US does not see any reason for involvement.