Saddam Hussein verdict

The Project Man

Liquer'd Up & Lash'n Out!
Aug 22, 2006
Pennsylvania
100%

They should have summarily convicted him & exectuted him immediately instead of putting on the circus of a trial, that way they would have avoided lawyers & judges getting killed.. him being found guilty was guaranteed regardless.

The trial is to out another feather in their caps. "See all the good we are doing!"

Behind the woodshed is where they should have taken him. Both barrels.

BorealRock

Dec 7, 2005
North
Perhaps the Hague would have been a better venue for this trial. I fear no matter what though, this will not end well.
Thats what should have happened.

If Saddam gets the DP for his crimes should not a foreign invader (Bushco) get at least the same for the deaths of innocent folk? 'Negligence causing death' perhaps? 'Gross theft of crude oil' ?

I don't shed a tear for Saddam. The whole things just another crooked aspect of the whole Iraq war.
"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr
http://www.quotedb.com/authors/martin-luther-king-jr

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Thats what should have happened.

If Saddam gets the DP for his crimes should not a foreign invader (Bushco) get at least the same for the deaths of innocent folk? 'Negligence causing death' perhaps? 'Gross theft of crude oil' ?

I don't shed a tear for Saddam. The whole things just another crooked aspect of the whole Iraq war.
"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Martin Luther King Jr

I agree, if crimes have been committed by anyone, they must be held accountable.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Of all the people to find justification of the sentence, I never thought I would see you on the capital punishment band wagon. Wow. I still think highly of you though,lol.

I really am against the death penalty in general, but when a man like this comes along... I can't imagine letting him live out his life in comfort like some other monsters have (like Idi Amin). I just don't see how his continued existence could be anything but a source of pain for the survivors of his crimes or something which his supporters would use to rally others to join their cause. Iraq will never be able to move on with him alive.

That said, I don't believe in the death penalty in Canada or the US. We're fortunate enough not to have men like SH.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I really am against the death penalty in general, but when a man like this comes along... I can't imagine letting him live out his life in comfort like some other monsters have (like Idi Amin). I just don't see how his continued existence could be anything but a source of pain for the survivors of his crimes or something which his supporters would use to rally others to join their cause.

That said, I don't believe in the death penalty in Canada or the US. We're fortunate enough not to have men like SH.
I figured as much, I didn't think you would come to that position lightly or easily. Not many of our mediacl heros do. There is no sarcasm in that btw.

I do think the death penalty has some merit, but it far to oft, used without restraint.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Perhaps the Hague would have been a better venue for this trial. I fear no matter what though, this will not end well.
Agreed, it would of gone much mroe smoothly. It alsow ouldnt be a bunch of his enemys basicly Judgeing him, it was a Genocide issue, it should be taken to a world court for the world to judge his actions.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We must stay and finish the job

By AMIR TAHERI
an Iraqi-born journalist

November 06, 2006

Help ... British soldier in Basra

THE United Nations mandate under which British troops serve in Iraq will end in eight weeks.

Should Britain and other members of the multinational force led by the US use the occasion to leave?

On both sides of the Atlantic the cut-and-run chorus is urging quick withdrawal.

This may resonate with some because of the picture painted of Iraq by the media: a country in chaos, rocked by daily gruesome killings.

Iraq, we are told, is a failure. Is it? The truth is that the coalition has achieved all its objectives. It has toppled Saddam’s regime, broken his machinery of repression and war and brought him to justice.

It has restored power to the people and helped them write their constitution, hold free elections and choose their government for the first time. One is either with the Iraqi people or with their enemies.

Iraq is a battlefield between freedom and the jihadists. The jihadists know they can’t win.

But they hope to terrorise Western opinion and force the Coalition to dump Iraq.

The Coalition cannot abandon its moral contract with the Iraqis to help them until their democracy is secure.

Iraq has been an historic victory for freedom. We should not allow faint-heartedness or petty politics to transform it into defeat.

thesun.co.uk

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
HE GOT JUSTICE DENIED BY HIM

The Sun
George Pascoe-Watson

Political Editor

Humiliating: The famous photo of Saddam in his underwear - taken by a Sun photographer - whilst washing in jail

Justice must not only be done. It must be seen to be done.

Saddam's death sentence was delivered by an Iraqi judge, sitting in an Iraqi court under the legal framework of a democratically elected Iraqi government.

None of these things would have happened under Saddam's barbaric rule.

But thanks to the Iraq War, millions of ordinary Iraqis have at least a hope of justice and freedon, albeit a long way off.

Yet how quckly the liberal wing of the West forgets the brutal reality of Saddam's crimes against humanity.

Women repeatedly raped and men fed alive to dogs on the whim of the Butcher of Baghdad. Tens, perhaps hundreds, of thousands murdered in cold blood on the orders of the dictator.

No one should harbour any sympathy for his plight.

Don't kid yourself that he even once pondered about the violence he brought to other human beings. Saddam planend to rule the Middle East by force - take on the world armed with weapons of mass destruction.

No wonder millions of Shi'ites were dancing in the streets at the news of yesterday's verdict.

The whole world needs a sharp reminder that Britain and America will not bow to the will of mad despots any longer.

They will be stopped from committing genocide and making the world a dangerous place.

Those who question the power of the court or the integrity of the trial have a cheek.

I don't remember them taking to the streets to defend the poor Iraqis being slaughtered by their own leader.

The death sentence may seem hideous to many of us in 2006.

But to many cultures around the globe it will symbolise freedom from the chains of a monster. Saddam Hussein lived by the sword and deserves all that's coming to him.

THE SUN SAYS

A criminal's end

SPARE us the liberal hand-wringing over Saddam Hussein.

The "unfairness" of his trial and the "barbarity" of his death sentence.

There can be no more fitting end than a hangman’s noose for this gangster-turned-President.

His life has been one of unremitting evil. A murderer at 12 who, emboldened by power, evolved grotesquely into a genocidal butcher.

The death penalty may no longer be the British way. But it IS Iraqi justice — and we have given them the power to dispense it.

And let’s hear no more about Saddam having greater influence as a dead martyr than a live prisoner. Locked up, he would be a potent figurehead for Iraq’s insurgents.

Besides, his credentials as a martyr are laughable to Muslims.

There he stood yesterday, clutching the Koran as he defied “the agents” of the Christian West. But this is a man who ignored Islam throughout his rule and personally ordered the massacre of countless Muslims.

Iran says execution is the “minimum” Saddam deserves.

That’s the most sensible utterance from those parts in years.

thesun.co.uk

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The Sun is owned by warmonger Rupert Murdoch who gloats over the Saddam trial but has never called for a trial for the Turkish criminals who killed even more Kurds than did Saddam.

In the interest of fairness, let's put those genocidal murderers on trial as well.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
The Sun is owned by warmonger Rupert Murdoch who gloats over the Saddam trial but has never called for a trial for the Turkish criminals who killed even more Kurds than did Saddam.

In the interest of fairness, let's put those genocidal murderers on trial as well.

Of course you are right. The turkish offensive against the Kurds was far more brutal and it was fully backed by the US--Clinton Specifically. And what hypocrisy-as Turkey was and remains a member of NATO.

---Chomsky talks about this in " Another generation draws the line"

Namdrib

Nov 6, 2006

Hmmm.. I guess the point is that that picture makes Rumsfeld guilty of something, right?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
fully backed by the US--Clinton Specifically.

This brutally genocidal campaign has gone on both before and after Clinton.

``` Hague ```

One reason why the trial was not held in the Hague was because the defense would have claimed that others (like the Turkish government or like Reagan's support of the genocide of the Ixils) merited the same type of trial. In fact legal experts such as Judge Ben Ferencz specifically called for such a tribunal for Bush for having violated the Nuremburg Doctrine -- a doctrine invented by Professor Ferencz!

With Saddam's conviction in a national court the defense cannot use the trial as precedent for convicting or for demanding a trial for others by claiming selective enforcement of the law.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Saddam urges Iraqis to forgive each other

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/http://forums.canadiancontent.net/http://ads.aol.co.uk/adlink|3.0|517|1047280|0|154|KEY=+Gold+BL3+Bolton+gb;grp=1;loc=300;

Saddam was in a much less combative mood at the start of his genocide trial than seen recently

http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/web?quer...&restrict=countryUK&invocationType=dayuk_news

Two days after being sentenced to hang, a sombre and subdued Saddam Hussein called on Iraqis to "forgive, reconcile and shake hands'' as he returned to court for his Kurdish genocide trial.

The startling call came after Saddam rose during the afternoon session to question the testimony of the witnesses, who told of a mass killing of Iraqi Kurds in the 1987-88 Operation Anfal crackdown on Kurdish guerrillas.

Saddam then calmly spoke about how the Prophet Mohammed and Jesus had asked for forgiveness for those who had opposed them.

"I call on all Iraqis, Arabs and Kurds, to forgive, reconcile and shake hands,'' Saddam said before resuming his seat.

The former president's demeanour was far different than his combative performance on Sunday, when another court sentenced him to die for the deaths of around 150 Shiite Muslims following an assassination attempt against him in Dujail in 1982.

Saddam and two others were sentenced to death by hanging. Four co-defendants received lesser sentences and one was acquitted.

On hearing his sentence, Saddam thundered "Long live the people and death to their enemies.''

At the start of his genocide trial, however, Saddam, dressed in a dark suit and white shirt, sat quietly along with the other six defendants, calmly taking notes as four Kurdish witnesses gave their testimony.

Saddam and his cousin "Chemical Ali'' al-Majid are charged with genocide in the Anfal case. The other defendants are accused of crimes against humanity and war crimes. All could be sentenced to death by hanging if convicted.

A nine-judge appeals panel is expected to rule on Saddam's guilty verdict and death sentence in the Dujail case by the middle of January, the chief prosecutor said. That could set in motion a possible execution by mid-February.

news.aol.co.uk

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
With a name like "Chemical Ali" he's better off to mail in his guilty please and head straight for the gallows. No passing go, no collecting $200.

abcd

Nov 7, 2006
What the verdict means for Iraqi people

Really, the most important thing here is what the verdict means for those who had to live under the tyrannical Saddam. This verdict is so important for the Iraqi people because they are finally replacing the rule of a dictator with the rule of law. Good for them