Rugby - Six Nations Championship 2006.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Rugby - a game like American Football (Gridiron) except played by real men - unlike American Footballers (we call it American Football cos "soccer" is "football" on Britain) who wear 10 tonnes of Kevlar body armour, stupid helmets and play a game that stops every 30 seconds.

The Six Nations Championship is held every year between England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France and Italy. England are the World Champions and Wales are the Six Nations Champions.

This year's Championship started on Saturday and here are the results -

England 47 - 13 Wales
Ireland 26 - 16 Italy
Scotland 20 - 16 France

Scotland did World Champs England a massive favour by pulling of a SHOCK victory against France, England's nearest challengers. Scotland, along wth Italy, are usually the Tournament's annual whipping boys.

The table after 1 round of games -

...............P........W.......D.........L........F.......A.....Points........P/D
England....1.........1.......0.........0.......47......13.....2..............34
Ireland.....1.........1.......0.........0.......26......16.....2..............10
Scotland...1.........1........0.........0......20......16.....2...............4
France......1.........0........0........1......16......20.....0..............-4
Italy.........1.........0........0.......1.......16......26.....0..............-10
Wales.......1........0.........0........1......13......47.....0..............-34

England's Mark Cueto scores a try (a touchdown) against Wales at Twickenham, England's home ground. Wales haven't won at Twickenham since 1988. Also, notice the lack of huge amounts of body armour and helmets.

Wales scrum-half Dwayne Peel carved a huge hole through England's defence and feeds open-side flanker Martyn Williams for the score. The sides go in 15-10 to England at half-time.
© PA

Mark Cueto was a constant threat...
© Reuters

...but it was Mike Tindall's score with 19 minutes left that was the killer blow.© PA

Lawrence Dallaglio scored on his return to England duty after 17 months in retirement, Matt Dawson scampered over and Tom Voyce completed the rout.
© Reuters

Ireland VS Italy. Ireland welcomed back Brian O'Driscoll as they began their 2006 RBS Six Nations campaign against Italy.
© Reuters

Ireland's Marcus Horan battled hard throughout but it was Jerry Flannery, making his full debut, who ran in Ireland's opening try. Italy hit back immediately with a sharp try from Mirco Bergamasco.
© PA

A surprising decision by the referee not ask the fourth referee to rule on Tommy Bowe's break saw a key try given to Ireland despite Mauro Bergamasco holding the Irishman up.
© PA

Paul O'Connell gave a man-of-the-match performance as rusty Ireland triumphed over battling Italy by 26 points to 16.
© PA

Scotland VS France - Sean Lamont shocked France with a try (touchdown) after 12 minutes as Scotland impressed early on at Murrayfield. Scotland went in 13-3 ahead at half-time.

The Scots conceded a try but ran out deserved 20-16 winners over the pre-tournament favourites courtesy of two tries from Lamont and the boot of Chris Paterson.

At the weekend, England play Italy, Wales play Scotland and Ireland play France.

After France's shock defeat by lowly Scotland (previously, Scotland had only won ONE Six Nations game in about 4 years) World Champions England are the new favourites for the Six Nations title and, after their demolition of Wales, look like the tournaments form team.

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia
RE: Rugby - Six Nations C

I will observe with interest... and hope there are some massive squad changes in our 06 lineup, because 05 was nothing but utter crap.

and Eddie Jones knew it.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't know what's happened to Australia.

But it doesn't bother me to much. As an Englishman, it always feels good to be reminded of the time we beat you in the 2003 Rugby World Cup Final and then slaughtered your cricketers in the Ashes.

We beat beat your rugby team again about two or three months ago and SHOULD have beaten New Zealand. New Zealand were very lucky in that game. And it's about time that England started playing like the World Champions that they are.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Italy VS England, Today, 3.30pm

England feel the force is back with them

Andy Robinson has insisted his side is "growing" ahead of their clash with Italy in Rome.

Robert Kitson in Rome
Saturday February 11, 2006
The Guardian

There is about as much chance of Italy beating England this afternoon as there is of a Winter Olympics gold medal for Britain in today's biathlon. When one side is quoted at 16-1 in a two-chariot race, the bookmakers do not scent an upset and Andy Robinson's demand for a "ruthless" performance from the visiting side sounded even more ominous.

Maybe it would be different if the Italian public did not have roughly the same passion for rugby as their English counterparts have for the skeleton bob. Six years after their Six Nations' debut victory against Scotland the azzurri are still waiting for the momentous win which would distract modern-day Romans away from their football obsession. For that to unfold this weekend, England will have to produce a display worthy of Eddie the Eagle.

This does not appear likely, judging by the quiet confidence of Martin Corry and his squad. It is true England have not won an away Test since beating Scotland 35-13 at Murrayfield two years ago. Italy also showed enough skill and character to run Ireland close in Dublin last week and might have won with a more sympathetic referee. But England's 47-13 thrashing of Wales, flattering margin or not, was the weekend's most significant result, more so even than France's defeat in Edinburgh. Corry and co needed confirmation that they were on the right track and, in the majority of areas, they sense the force is now back with them.

As a consequence sunken chests are once more being puffed out and the feelgood mood is unmistakable. "We know we're not in any way the finished article but there's a lovely atmosphere and team spirit," said Robinson at the squad's luxurious hilltop eyrie above the Vatican City. "We've also got guys who want to work hard and improve." A short training session on a nearby military pitch yesterday strengthened the coach's belief that his players are happier than they have been for a while. "I've really seen a sharp focus since we've come to Rome . . . that's when you know the side is growing."

Robinson was even moved to dispute the received wisdom that the only way to build a successful World Cup squad is to develop two interchangeable teams of equal ability, as the All Blacks successfully did in the autumn. He prefers the more traditional route of individuals fighting tooth and nail to retain their jersey. "I don't want people to be given it. I want it to be special and for people to earn it." Apart from A games, therefore, the only option for forwards such as Alex Brown, Tom Palmer, Louis Deacon and Nick Kennedy - all singled out as "international class" locks by Robinson yesterday - is to redouble their efforts and wait for the summer tour when certain senior players will be rested.

Much the same applies to England's high-profile replacements today. Four years ago at the Stadio Flaminio one could almost feel the ground shaking as four England captains - Martin Johnson, Lawrence Dallaglio, Jason Leonard and Matt Dawson - rumbled on simultaneously. Something similar looks set to occur this evening with Dallaglio, Dawson, Simon Shaw and Julian White all champing at the bit; the only difference this time is that, because of the slightly delayed kick-off, their grand second-half entrance will be floodlit.

Assuming England stick to their pre-dusk game plan, which is to hit Italy hard in the first quarter and get points ahead on the scoreboard, thus putting the onus on the home side to respond, there can be only one winner. In three previous visits here English sides have averaged more than 50 points and they will fancy racking up another half-century. Among the beneficiaries could be the wing Ben Cohen, who wins his 50th cap today.

Italy v England

Venue Stadio Flaminio, kick-off 4pm GMT today Referee K Deaker (New Zealand) TV BBC1, 3.30pm

15 C Stoica (Montpellier)

14 P Canavosio (Calvisano)

13 G Canale (Clermont)

12 Mirco Bergamasco (Stade Français)

11 L Nitoglia (Calvisano)

10 R Pez (Perpignan)

9 P Griffen (Calvisano)

1 S Perugini (Calvisano)

2 F Ongaro (Treviso)

3 C Nieto (Viadana)

4 S Dellape (Agen)

5 M Bortolami (Narbonne, capt)

6 J Sole (Viadana)

7 Mauro Bergamasco (Stade Français)

8 S Parisse (Stade)

Replacements C Festuccia (Parma), Lo Cicero (L'Aquila), M Castrogiovanni (Calvisano), C Del Fava (Bourgoin), S Orlando (Treviso), S Picone (Treviso), R Wakarua (Parma)

15 T Voyce (Wasps)

14 M Cueto (Sale)

13 J Noon (Newcastle)

12 M Tindall (Gloucester)

11 B Cohen (Northampton)

10 C Hodgson (Bath)

9 H Ellis (Leicester)

1 A Sheridan (Sale)

2 S Thompson (Northampton)

3 M Stevens (Bath)

4 S Borthwick (Bath)

5 D Grewcock (Bath)

6 J Worsley (Wasps)

7 L Moody (Leicester)

8 M Corry (Leicester, capt)

Replacements L Mears (Bath), J White (Leicester), S Shaw (Wasps), L Dallaglio (Wasps), M Dawson (Wasps), A Goode (Leicester), J Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester)

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Today's results -

Italy 16 - 31 England
France 43 - 31 Ireland

The table.
.................P.....W....D....L......F....A....Pts.....P/D
England.......2......2....0.....0.....78...29.....4.......49
France........2......1....0......1....59...51.....2........8
Scotland.....1.......1....0......0....20..16......2........4
Ireland.......2.......1....0......1....57...59.....2........-2
Italy..........2.......0....0......2....32...57.....0........-25
Wales........1........0...0......1....13....47....0........-34

Tomorrow: Wales VS Scotland.

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
Blackleaf said:
Rugby - a game like American Football (Gridiron) except played by real men - unlike American Footballers (we call it American Football cos "soccer" is "football" on Britain) who wear 10 tonnes of Kevlar body armour, stupid helmets and play a game that stops every 30 seconds.

Interesting stuff !

It seems from most of the photos that many of the players also wear a fair bit of padding like helmets, shoulder and shin pads! Having tried a bit of rugby, I can safely say that there are harder hits and more strategy needed for Canadian Football.

Our aussie rules footy games are also very fast, free flowing and hard hitting. All our guys wear is a mouthguard, and full body contact is allowed. Players come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and there is more diverse skills and finess involved than rugby. The field is larger, so there is more room to evade would be tacklers and hits if you're good enough that is !

The international scene at the moment is still only about 10 years old and still amateur, but it is growing fast and really going guns in countries like New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and the US.

Team Canada vs South Africa 2005 (Melbourne, Australia)

Even though the event was fairly low key by international standards, support at our games even at that level was great in 2005.
http://www.worldfootynews.com/media/Canada_support.mov

In the 3 year event the Northwind donned the maple leaf to finish a respectable 7th out of 10 countries in 2005 and should only build on that in 2008 ... at least we can hope :)

Tom Green Fan

Electoral Member
Feb 28, 2006
Brisbane
tomgreen.forumer.com
I just have to let all the Canadians know this, don't be fooled by blackleaf and razorgrade :D

All around the world, rugby union is nickname rugby YAWNion and AFL is nicknamed gAyFL (well across Victoria, only place it's played :D )

RUGBY LEAGUE is the greatest game of all!

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com
why do you call the game "AFL" ? It is not called AFL.

I assume you're talking about Victoria, Canada ? My friend, Australian Football is played in many nations around the world. Where are your eyes. It is played right here amongst us !

As for "YAWNion", I don't know where you get your facts from but last time I checked it was quite a fast and exciting game compared to rugby league.

Anyway apologies for getting off topic. This thread is supposed to be about the great game of Rugby Union !

Tom Green Fan

Electoral Member
Feb 28, 2006
Brisbane
tomgreen.forumer.com
Re: RE: Rugby - Six Nations Championship 2006.

razorgrade said:

I assume you're talking about Victoria, Canada ? My friend, Australian Football is played in many nations around the world. Where are your eyes. It is played right here amongst us !

As for "YAWNion", I don't know where you get your facts from but last time I checked it was quite a fast and exciting game compared to rugby league.

Anyway apologies for getting off topic. This thread is supposed to be about the great game of Rugby Union !
:lol: - don't kid yourself buddy. just because a bunch of aussie tourists can start up a team in canada doesn't mean it's a global sport.

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com

Tom Green Fan said:
razorgrade said:

:lol: - don't kid yourself buddy. just because a bunch of aussie tourists can start up a team in canada doesn't mean it's a global sport.

Have you actually been to Canada ? You do not know what you are talking about :roll: Try not to pass comment about something you know nothing of.

Rugby is not the product of aussie tourists.

I am not an aussie tourist. Sure there are some Aussies playing Australian Football but more than half our players are locals born and bred, many who play for our national team - Northwind.

razorgrade

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2006
Toronto
www.eaglesafc.com

Tom Green Fan said:
more than half your players are canadian? so two of em are canadian then hey?

Do they breed morons in Australia ?

There are over 450 amateur players of Australian Rules Football in our country in 3 leagues, Ontaria, Alberta and North West Pacific.

My league, the OAFL has over 330 players.

Our team has a total of around 40 players on our roster, including 26 Canadians.

If you don't believe me, read the league's annual report, player numbers have grown by over 25% in the last year alone.
http://www.ontariofooty.com/Docs/OAFL%202005%20ANNUAL%20REPORT%20(2).pdf

Go suck on a drop-bear stupid redneck Aussie !