Rogers help

SumOfAllFears

Jun 9, 2002
I have rogers hi-speed internet, and im pondering uncapping it or making it just a bit faster. Speeds get VERY slow sometimes and i really need a bit faster, seeing as im paying for it at $45.00 per month. Please, help!

Bob Carrick

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2002
If the speeds get very slow, that will not be fixed by uncapping the modem. By uncapping the modem you will do nothing but break your terms of service and allow Rogers to cancel your service.

Bob Carrick

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2002
I don't know if it can be done, let alone by software you have to log in to your router and change something in there. Either way we are not going to promote that as we can be held responsible.

frubsen

Electoral Member
Jun 17, 2002
I agree with Bob, very risky to do and if you get caught they will probably ban your internet.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cable Modem Uncapping

Cable Modem Uncapping only increase the speed and bandwidth your modem can achieve but this doesnt mean you will be able to, because cable access is shared you it depends on how many people are in your area and how much bandwidth they consume, If it gets so bad that it isnt worth paying 45 bucks a month switch to dsl if its in your area and you'll have a steady downstream. I would recommend 2.5mb downstream and 640 kbps upstream with telus if they are a DSL ISP in your area for about 54 bucks a month a bit more than what your paying but 250 kbps downloads.

Keep in mind though it may be the sites you download off and not your connection, try a download off a fast site like microsoft.com

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Re: Cable Modem Uncapping

Anonymous said:
Cable Modem Uncapping only increase the speed and bandwidth your modem can achieve but this doesnt mean you will be able to, because cable access is shared you it depends on how many people are in your area and how much bandwidth they consume, If it gets so bad that it isnt worth paying 45 bucks a month switch to dsl if its in your area and you'll have a steady downstream. I would recommend 2.5mb downstream and 640 kbps upstream with telus if they are a DSL ISP in your area for about 54 bucks a month a bit more than what your paying but 250 kbps downloads.

First of all, I get 2.5mb downstream already with Shaw cable, I have a lot of people on my node, with another node we are adding shortly to this area.

Second, most people do not pay $45 a month. If anyone has Cable Television service, based on what package they have they can pay as little as $25 a month for their Cable Internet line in the bundled packages. I used to use telus DSL, and its not that great of a service, the caps are extremely low, and the speed is never anywhere near your forementioned speed. Customer service sucks totally and completely.

Keep in mind though it may be the sites you download off and not your connection, try a download off a fast site like microsoft.com

As with anything you will get slower speeds from no matter where you download from. Speed vary over the internet quite a bit, and microsoft.com probably wouldnt be the only place you'd test your speed. If you really want to test the speed you are getting out of your broadband provider, try http://www.dslreports.com/stest It is pretty accurate. There are a few different servers you can test on.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well, with Rogers, they overcrowd the nodes. They really have no plans to do major upgrades to any network resources. They want to make as much money as possible and customer satisfaction is really near the bottom of the list. Sad isnt it.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Yes, Rogers is a pretty horrible provider for Cable service of any kind. In the area here that Shaw has had control of for a few years now... we're still finding horrible bloody Rogers cabling into peoples homes. This one guy called me to his place and his cable was 2 inches under his lawn, and guess what he was adding a walkway, and cut it in two. :) Regulations must have it burried at least 2 ft under the ground, so I dont know what Rogers was thinking, sure its mostly clay around his place, but still... a very lazy installer from Rogers did that.

So after a full day of having our installers up there digging out the clay he's getting very good quality service now and is very happy.

We're always on the move upgrading our systems, I cant really speak for Rogers, but from their services constantly deteriorating, it doesnt look like they do much of any upgrades at all.

SumOfAllFears

Jun 9, 2002
Thanks for the info. I guess I will not uncap any modem anytime! hehehe. Also, another question. Do people uncap adsl modems? Or is it a stupid idea to begin with because of the telephone line capacity?

Thanks in advance for the info.

tekwarp

Aug 24, 2004
Well, of course uncapping is illegal, but that's not the point.

The point is Rogers is capping the modems to speeds below those published in the service agreement. Before uncapping the modem make sure you save your modems config file from the TFTS, then if you are caught, you can argue that what you did is as illegal as what they are doing :twisted:

Uncapping the modem is not easy. Motorola surf boards can be uncapped. With minor changes in the hardware configuration and a serial cable you can use the ethernet port on the modem to upload the config file and make the modem believe that it is still connected to the Rogers TFTP Server at the CMTS.

If what i've said so far is close to chinese, then go to :

http://www.tcniso.net/index.php

You can dowload a free video that shows you how to physically modify your modem. Read all the FAQs and Tutorials before you go through with it.

If 75% of Rogers cable customer knew how to uncap their modems, then Rogers would probabably stop illegally capping them.

So please feel free to contribute useful info, that's what forums are for. 8)