Richard Dawkins: Telling children the myth of Santa Claus could damage them

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
What's damaging children is they're raised in such a altered reality from our natural existence that they no longer can build a strong foundation of facts they can depend on to help them make good decisions. Santa Claus is only the tip of the iceberg. Our children's ability to make good decisions has been compromised by our unrealistic distorted reality.

It can be argued that Santa out of everything, could have more beneficial effects then negative in total. There are far worse damaging things in our lives like television.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What's damaging children is they're raised in such a altered reality from our natural existence that they no longer can build a strong foundation of facts they can depend on to help them make good decisions. Santa Claus is only the tip of the iceberg. Our children's ability to make good decisions has been compromised.

What a load of codswallop. I wouldn't like to be any of your kids at Christmas.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Children are doing just fine in our society the reason we don't see that is the adults
don't have a clue and in many cases they are the problem. We condemn the kids
playing these games drives me nuts but it teaches things as well
Speed and reflex, concentration and critical thinking skills now if we could put the
subjects they need to know into a series of games and make it interesting they
would be proficient in almost everything.
We as I've said have a lot of grand kids the older ones all have jobs in trades or at
entry level in the profession they chose. None have been to jail or seen the inside
of a courtroom except there to observe how justice works.
Out of the five older ones three have their own home and two are getting there.
The teens are doing well and we are proud of them.
Every single one of them is into Christmas and for the younger ones Santa is still a
big deal and the few who have little wee ones the rest of us join that state of altered
reality too Santa is our friend Hasn't harmed me yet and it brings family together
People have to put some joy in their lives for Pete's sake

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
ho, ho, ho

soon gonna start my Christmas wish list, hope Santa is in a generous mood this year

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
ho, ho, ho

soon gonna start my Christmas wish list, hope Santa is in a generous mood this year
How did that work out for you last year? He seems to take more out of my sock for others than he puts back. Not that big of a deal as it explains why my one sock has two holes in it.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
How did that work out for you last year? He seems to take more out of my sock for others than he puts back. Not that big of a deal as it explains why my one sock has two holes in it.

Santa is generous, well in my mind....truth be told, it doesn't take much to either get me drunk or keep me happy....:lol:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Knowledge lasts longer also, easier to pack and carry but it is also the hardest to accept. The bad wisdom is always being passed onto others as being 'good' when the only good part is the 'good riddance' part. First Santa bites the dust and then Puff the Dragon goes up in smole, it's a landslide I tell you and bad news always travels in 3's

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Knowledge lasts longer also, easier to pack and carry but it is also the hardest to accept. The bad wisdom is always being passed onto others as being 'good' when the only good part is the 'good riddance' part. First Santa bites the dust and then Puff the Dragon goes up in smole, it's a landslide I tell you and bad news always travels in 3's

Um. . . MHz? I gotta tell you something about the Tooth Fairy.