Quebec's parlement say no to the Charia

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
RE: Quebec's parlement sa

And btw, I worked for l'Office de la Langue Francaise for 5 years before I was transfered to the Justice Departement last year. I know the laws, and the loopholes.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Re: RE: Quebec's parlement sa

bluealberta said:
A question on 101, though, and maybe somebody can confirm or refute this. There was a news report a couple of weeks ago about a family who moved from Winnipeg to Quebec. They were an English family, but had their kids in French Immersion in Manitoba. However, when they moved to Quebec and wanted to put their kids in an English school, they were told they couldn't because the kids were considered "French" due to the French Immersion. If this was the case, it makes support of french immersion in English Canada harder to support and promote. I did not have the opportunity to have French Immersion, but I did take French during my high school years, and have found it has been beneficial at times.

If both parents received instruction in english for the major part of their elementry and secondary, then the child of of been eligible for english public school. Either the family and news programed hyped it, without showing all the facts (This happens very often in english media), or the personne assigned to the dossier made a mistake.

The laws are very transparent, and few loopholes exist. They are applied to the lettre, mistakes happen. But can be corrected. The aspect of ''Language police'' is just another part of the Federal Liberals fear campaign against the seperatists (By the way, federalist approve and enforced 101 more then the seperatists did).

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec

Said1 said:
Numure said:
http://www.olf.gouv.qc.ca/english/charter/index.html

Everything you wish to know;

http://www.olf.gouv.qc.ca/english/charter/title1chapter8.html

Thanks, I was serious in requesting that link. There is lots of rumours with regard to bill 101, I'm very intersted in knowing what is fact and what is myth. :)

The hole charter is on the first link. The second link is specific to llanguage of education.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

Numure said:
Said1 said:
Numure said:
http://www.olf.gouv.qc.ca/english/charter/index.html

Everything you wish to know;

http://www.olf.gouv.qc.ca/english/charter/title1chapter8.html

Thanks, I was serious in requesting that link. There is lots of rumours with regard to bill 101, I'm very intersted in knowing what is fact and what is myth. :)

The hole charter is on the first link. The second link is specific to llanguage of education.

Thanks again, I bookmarked them!

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Re: RE: Quebec's parlement say no to the Charia

Cathou said:
Machjo said:
Said1 said:
Alright, I take that back. Maybe it is a little assimilationist. What I don't get, though, is why would the Quebec government want to create a threat to the French language in the first place (i.e., make it mandatory for all students in Quebec to learn English as their second language, with no other alternative) and then try to protect the French language (i.e., Bill 101) from a threat created by the Quebec government itself. Would it not make more sense to give students, let's say, four or so language options to choose from, so that not all of them need to learn English if they don't want to? That way the threat to the English language would drop at least a little. Granted, most would probably still choose English, but at least the law wouldn't be so contradictory. Let's say, for instance, that, besides English, students could also choose between Esperanto (an easy langauge for the lazy students, those who just don't really see any point in putting too much effort in learning a second language, or those who are not so lazy but just interested, curious, or agree with the philosophy behind Esperanto), Arabic (for the 100,000+ Muslim students in Quebec, most of whom live in Montreal), and Persian (for the large Persian community in Montreal). That would mean that fewer students would be learning English, thus reducing the need for English teachers, thus reducing the need for professors of English in universities to teach English teachers, thus resulting in an overall reduction of jobs requiring English language skills, thus resulting in a reduced threat to the French language in Qebec, thus resulting in the potential for reducing the strength of Bill 101 in the future, or if not that, then at least ensure that they won't need to strengthen it in future. Your thoughts on that one?

it's off topic but i want to try an explanation. quebec have two official language. english and french. you can go in almost every buisness you want and you can get services in both language. Second, english is important too. we are surrounded by english. someone that cant speak english cannot go far in north america... and people can latter learn a third language. in high school you have that option. i've learn deutch in cegep for exemple.

and maybe that your solution indeed create less demand for english teacher, but every school will need 20 different langage teacher ?

You're right, it's off topic, so after this responce, I'll create a separate thread for it. As for every school needing 20 teachers, that's not true. It would just mean that the school principal would have the option of choosing what second language his school would teach, according to the students' interest. So the number of second language teachers in each school would remain the same. Only the language spoken might vary from school to school. And as for Quebec giving English all kinds of sepcial privileges and then restricting it just seems contradictory. At least this solution would naturally make French the only common language in the province, and thus naturally reduce the threat to English, thus not needing to rely on artificial controls such as bill 101 quite as much. I acknowledge that the power of English is so great that most students would probably still choose Enlgish, and so some artificial control such as bill 101 would still be needed to some extent, but perhaps the force of the Bill wouldn't need to be so great anymore. This would therefore give more freedom tothe Quebecois in terms of what language they could choose to learn, and also to the anglophones in perhaps ensuring that Quebec won't need to strengthen Bill 101 at any time inthe future.

Now as for English being crucial in Quebec, from my experience having lived in Montreal, La Malbaie-Pointe-au-Pic, Roberval, and Gatineau, along with my visits to Quebec City, Tadoussac, and otherparts of Charlevoix, I can say that English is not necessarily useful for everyone. I'd even met a native English speaker in Charlevoix whose English was dropping because she had no use for it in her daily life as a medical professional in a homogenously monolingual community. In Montreal, on the other hand, English seemed to be crucial for maybe not everyone, but certainly a large proportion of the population there. So I do believe that giving students language options in school could allow them to build relatins with other cvountries outside just North America (which could be of benefit to Quebec both culturally and economically), while at the same time eliminating an artificial cause of the threat of english to the French language in Quebec. So instead of forcing English on the people while at the same time restricting their use of it, would it not make more sense to give them the choice of what language to learn and then give English speakers a little more freedom (considering that they'd then naturally need French anyway, sinse not all French speakers would know English!

Just my thoughts, though.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Quebec's parlement say no to the Charia

Machjo said:
Now as for English being crucial in Quebec, from my experience having lived in Montreal, La Malbaie-Pointe-au-Pic, Roberval, and Gatineau, along with my visits to Quebec City, Tadoussac, and otherparts of Charlevoix, I can say that English is not necessarily useful for everyone. I'd even met a native English speaker in Charlevoix whose English was dropping because she had no use for it in her daily life as a medical professional in a homogenously monolingual community. In Montreal, on the other hand, English seemed to be crucial for maybe not everyone, but certainly a large proportion of the population there. So I do believe that giving students language options in school could allow them to build relatins with other cvountries outside just North America (which could be of benefit to Quebec both culturally and economically), while at the same time eliminating an artificial cause of the threat of english to the French language in Quebec. So instead of forcing English on the people while at the same time restricting their use of it, would it not make more sense to give them the choice of what language to learn and then give English speakers a little more freedom (considering that they'd then naturally need French anyway, sinse not all French speakers would know English!

Just my thoughts, though.

Were you partially replying to me?

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

Numure said:
bluealberta said:
A question on 101, though, and maybe somebody can confirm or refute this. There was a news report a couple of weeks ago about a family who moved from Winnipeg to Quebec. They were an English family, but had their kids in French Immersion in Manitoba. However, when they moved to Quebec and wanted to put their kids in an English school, they were told they couldn't because the kids were considered "French" due to the French Immersion. If this was the case, it makes support of french immersion in English Canada harder to support and promote. I did not have the opportunity to have French Immersion, but I did take French during my high school years, and have found it has been beneficial at times.

If both parents received instruction in english for the major part of their elementry and secondary, then the child of of been eligible for english public school. Either the family and news programed hyped it, without showing all the facts (This happens very often in english media), or the personne assigned to the dossier made a mistake.

The laws are very transparent, and few loopholes exist. They are applied to the lettre, mistakes happen. But can be corrected. The aspect of ''Language police'' is just another part of the Federal Liberals fear campaign against the seperatists (By the way, federalist approve and enforced 101 more then the seperatists did).

Thanks, I never did hear a follow up on the story, so it may have been hyped,as you suggest. In that area, Quebec and Alberta are very much alike, in that the media loves to hype anything remotely negative about Alberta, so I can certainly understand your point.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec

bluealberta said:
Numure said:
bluealberta said:

Thanks, I never did hear a follow up on the story, so it may have been hyped,as you suggest. In that area, Quebec and Alberta are very much alike, in that the media loves to hype anything remotely negative about Alberta, so I can certainly understand your point.

It seems media today, let it be canadian, american or even european, loves to hype things. Its the ''in'' thing to do. Though even I must admit, only the CBC (SRC and RDI are their french counter parts) and the BBC are least inclined to hype. Its a sad but true reality.

shamus11

Electoral Member

Goodbye Quebec

By

James Bredin

Goodbye Quebec; now we can get on with the rest of our lives,
In any new rearrangement, I hope everyone survives,
Was the equalization ransom not enough money?
Was Ottawa not Santa Clause enough or the Easter Bunny?

Did you not read all those Adscam advertisement jewels?
Were you not trained to think that Ottawa forever rules?
And you didn’t give Trudeau’s Charter your provincial John Doe,
Written for “everyone” in the world in case you didn’t know.

I never learned French, I’m sad to say -- I’d have to pay and pay,
Never heard it either except on TV – night and day,
Maybe I should be more subservient to the federal cause,
Learn French and no need for instant translation in Adscam flaws.

I knew for years your referendum would get fifty percent plus,
I’m not a bought party politician forbidden to discuss,
Tied to their pompous policies or bent by Adscam lies,
As I watch displeased and transfixed at the country maybe dies.

We could “Fix Canada” but Ottawa would have to change,
They wouldn’t like that one little bit – isn’t that strange?
They’d have to turn honest and back to the community,
Where’s the leadership to rock the boat with this opportunity?

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

http://jamesbredin.proboards46.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&num=1108006957