Proposed Green Tax In Alberta

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I am surprised that no one has anything to say on the topic of this tax on high end electronics etc. supposedly to pay for the disposal of such devices we toss away when we purchase newer models. I am aware the landfills are overly used with old computors[and a lot of the parts are harmful to the environment],and most of this can be recycled. Still,it is just another tax,isn't it?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I am surprised that no one has anything to say on the topic of this tax on high end electronics etc. supposedly to pay for the disposal of such devices we toss away when we purchase newer models. I am aware the landfills are overly used with old computors[and a lot of the parts are harmful to the environment],and most of this can be recycled. Still,it is just another tax,isn't it?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
I'm all for a recycling tax when people buy products. Just like anything else, if people buy something ahead of time they are more likely to use it.

When I buy a computer and it costs me $20 extra so that I can recycle it when I'm finished, I'll probably use the service. However, if I'm throwing out a computer and it cost me $20 to dispose of it, I'm probably not going to do it.

There are many people who "think green", however unfortunately there are many others who could gives a hoot what happens after their gone. If it costs them extra money they aren't interested. For these people unfortunately we need to take steps to ensure that as many people as possible keep our planet stable for the future generations.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005
I'm all for a recycling tax when people buy products. Just like anything else, if people buy something ahead of time they are more likely to use it.

When I buy a computer and it costs me $20 extra so that I can recycle it when I'm finished, I'll probably use the service. However, if I'm throwing out a computer and it cost me $20 to dispose of it, I'm probably not going to do it.

There are many people who "think green", however unfortunately there are many others who could gives a hoot what happens after their gone. If it costs them extra money they aren't interested. For these people unfortunately we need to take steps to ensure that as many people as possible keep our planet stable for the future generations.

tibear

Electoral Member
Jan 25, 2005

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Proposed Green Tax In

Green taxes are a good idea, but my impression was that it was only on a few it items and was more to pacify quasi-environmentalists than bring about any real change. it is a start though, and hopefully it will encourage other provinces to bring similar legislation.

I haven't followed this one very closely at all since I have about intention of going to King Ralph's Fiefdom as I do of moving to Arkansas, but that is the impression I got.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Green taxes are a good idea, but my impression was that it was only on a few it items and was more to pacify quasi-environmentalists than bring about any real change. it is a start though, and hopefully it will encourage other provinces to bring similar legislation.

I haven't followed this one very closely at all since I have about intention of going to King Ralph's Fiefdom as I do of moving to Arkansas, but that is the impression I got.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg