Pope set to bring back Latin Mass that divided the Church

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i'm not debating that she doesnt understand it. if she says she does i have no reason to disbelieve her at this stage. i'm saying she couldnt have got the meanings purely from repetition

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
i'm not debating that she doesnt understand it. if she says she does i have no reason to disbelieve her at this stage. i'm saying she couldnt have got the meanings purely from repetition

that dosent make sense, if she understands it she obviously knows what it meanss..duhhh. i like you, but i noticed that you just like to disagree with what anyone says:)

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i am saying she probably got the meanings either through intelligent guesswork, talking with people who DID know, or written translations.

in any of the above cases it would have been more sensible to just say it in english first.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
i am saying she probably got the meanings either through intelligent guesswork, talking with people who DID know, or written translations.

in any of the above cases it would have been more sensible to just say it in english first.

hah hah hah you just like to disagree. my brothers like that, kind of dude that if you say black hell automatically say white...thats what you remind me of herman!heh heh heh

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
did you undersatnd them when you were going though, cos i think that was her point..that if you went you knew the prayers kind of thing.

Saying the prayers didn't mean a whole to me honestly... it was a ritual practised every day at school and sundays. Having teachers in public school that would punish you by having you write scripture on recess and lunch turned me off on the whole religion thing.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
well most of us here like a good debate, and you do need someone on the opposite side. But i really do think i have a valid point here. you cannot glean information from a foreign phrase by repeating it. You CAN however have it translated or partially translated by others and understand it that way. my only debate was that it's logically impossible for someone to understand something by repeating it.

the same is true of words we don't know in english. do you know the meaning of zootypic? this is a real word, but you will not understand it without asking someone or looking it up in a dictionary.

do you see?

i'm really not trying to wind anyone up i just want you to see the logic in my thinking

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
Saying the prayers didn't mean a whole to me honestly... it was a ritual practised every day at school and sundays. Having teachers in public school that would punish you by having you write scripture on recess and lunch turned me off on the whole religion thing.

From nuns? When I was in grade school in the 1960's those ladies could instill a fear of God into the Pope! (God bless their pointy little heads)

My grade five teacher, Sr. Mary Paul, was great at whacking your hands for any indiscretion:-(

the old bat.....:)

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I think it is silly to bring Latin back to mass...for the Vatican to even consider this is ridiculous. Let's alienate a large majority of our followers. The Catholic church wonders why is has become so irrelevant....

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
From nuns? When I was in grade school in the 1960's those ladies could instill a fear of God into the Pope! (God bless their pointy little heads)

My grade five teacher, Sr. Mary Paul, was great at whacking your hands for any indiscretion:-(

the old bat.....:)

The Catholic school I went to was horid, instead of smacking you or giving you detention, they (teachers) made us write out passages from the bible... great way to ruin one's taste for religion.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
i remember my first school was a protestant christian school of some kind. They never explained even the lord's prayer in english. I never really understood what i was saying, i just said it because everyone else did. trespasses? when did i trespass? why do i never see any of this daily bread?

As for the hymns... i used to think hosannah was a person and exelsis was a city.

I wasnt stupid i was 5. If you don't explain these things there's no point making someone repeat them for years.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
i remember my first school was a protestant christian school of some kind. They never explained even the lord's prayer in english. I never really understood what i was saying, i just said it because everyone else did. trespasses? when did i trespass? why do i never see any of this daily bread?

As for the hymns... i used to think hosannah was a person and exelsis was a city.

I wasnt stupid i was 5. If you don't explain these things there's no point making someone repeat them for years.

I think that is what the church wants, for you not to question or understand... just obey what they say like a mindless robot.

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
The Catholic school I went to was horid, instead of smacking you or giving you detention, they (teachers) made us write out passages from the bible... great way to ruin one's taste for religion.

that sounds evil. but my mom says they used to strap kids in public schools. i mean, think about it, you could get spanked by a teacher! id like to see a teacher try that now!

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
I think it is silly to bring Latin back to mass...for the Vatican to even consider this is ridiculous. Let's alienate a large majority of our followers. The Catholic church wonders why is has become so irrelevant....

my priest says that when they stopped using the latin mass, it made allot of catholics stop going to church. so maybe going back to the tradition will make people come back. i think its cool cos that means, if they did this, the whole world would have the same mass.

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec

According to Britain's Catholic Herald, the pope was doing a bit of old-fashioned arm-twisting in response to these bishops' very public opposition to Benedict's intention to grant Catholics more access to the pre-Vatican II rite of the Mass.

On October 30, 2006, ten French bishops, including the archbishop of Strasbourg, released a letter expressing their fear that "the extension of the use of the Roman Missal of 1962 makes the direction of the Second Vatican Council relative... [and] would also risk harming unity among priests as well as among the faithful." One of the signers of the statement, Bishop Andre Lacrampe of Besancon, has been quoted as saying, "One cannot erase Vatican II with a stroke of the pen."

Is Pope Benedict about to abolish Vatican II? Not quite. What he is doing, in fact, is implementing one of the council's guarantees, spelled out in its document on the Mass, Sacrosanctum Consilium, "In faithful obedience to tradition, the sacred Council declares that holy Mother Church holds all lawfully acknowledged rites to be of equal right and dignity; that she wishes to preserve them in the future and to foster them in every way." Of course, it didn't pan out that way. In 1969 Pope Paul VI virtually banned the traditional Mass and imposed on the Church the Novus Ordo Missae, the New Order of the Mass that has been the norm in Catholic parishes around the globe ever since.

Paul VI's Mass was no simple vernacular translation of the traditional text; this was a major edit-and-rewrite job that recast the role of the priest, the people, and even God's place in the liturgical life of the Catholic Church. It was, in short, a revolution. And as Robespierre could tell you, once a revolution gets rolling, it's hard to tell exactly where it will end up.

Once the new Mass was put in place, the progressives went on a rampage the likes of which the Church had not seen since the Reformation. On Sunday mornings, while the parish clergy hung out in the rectory, members of the laity distributed Communion to congregations who were instructed to stand, not kneel, to receive the Body and Blood of Christ, and urged to take the Sacred Host, the consecrated bread, in their hands rather than receive it on their tongue. Then came the church "wreckovations" -- altars were smashed, communion rails ripped out, statues hauled away to the dumpster or banished to obscure corners of the church, and elaborately decorated interiors whitewashed. The documents of Vatican II did not call for any of these soul-and-gut wrenching innovations, but when confronted the progressives claimed that their actions were in keeping with "the spirit of Vatican II."

The-not-too-subtle message of this revolution was, if the Mass, the thing the Church held most sacred, could be monkeyed with, then it was open season on doctrine, discipline, religious authority, religious vows, church music, education, sexuality, marriage, and life itself. As the Catholic Church sank into chaos, many Catholics jumped ship. A 1958 Gallup poll found that in the United States 75 percent of Catholics went to Mass every Sunday; today the number has dropped to 25 percent. By the way, on any given Sunday in France, the bishops can count on seeing about five percent of the population.

MASS ATTENDANCE WAS NOT the only thing that suffered in the upheavals that followed Vatican II. Today 53 percent of American Catholics believe that one can have an abortion and still be a good Catholic. And 70 percent of American Catholics in the 18-44 age group say they do not believe that the Eucharist is truly the Body and Blood of Christ, that it is only a symbol of Jesus.