Poll : Migrating to Vista ? What version and Why ?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Bitlocker is overkill for a home user in my opinion. I don't see any reason for a home user to have his whole drive encrypted. Microsoft should offer a feature reduced version of bitlocker which would allow the user to encrypt there user profile though.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You don't have to know how to code anything to install and run linux. Knowledge of scripting never hurts though, if you want to do things with bash.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Only thing I am going to say is: Your stupid to get Vista on your current computer or laptop!

I am stuck with XP forever on my current laptop as its uncapable and not worth the upgrade for Vista.

That being said I am not that smart when it comes to in-depth computer stuff, but this summer when I visit my tech-savy brother in Van City, I am going to buy a new desktop computer with Vista Premium.

My old desktop died a few months ago.... motherboard fried.

Only really makes sense to me to get Vista on new retail computers.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Fella in FutureShop said that RAM, lots of Hard Drive, and dual-processors are what you need to run Vista well.

allen_p

Nominee Member
Feb 4, 2007
@eh1eh

knowing code ? presumably no - that too for normal users - I have yet to home user running fedora doing real thing.

@Westmanguy

Thats perception :) But We all know - more ram you throw at windows - better it runs.

@durkadurka

Bitlocker for home users will not be overkill (duh). What about People who work from home - or budding enterprises - does that mean their information is less important , I doubt . Information Context and value is more important.
Some Corporate executive loosing laptop and Some Common Joe loosing Laptop - Of course Corporate has more to loose - But what about common joe who did his entire project and dreams of making big in software/web designing do ? dunno

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Allen,

If you work from home or you do any work considered critical or valuable, chances are you will be using Vista Ultimate or Vista Business, both of which have bitlocker and proper support for VPN's.

At most, a home user should have they C:\Users\UserName encrypted. Most home users do not have anything worth encrypting inside of C:\program files or whatever is in their temp folder.

allen_p

Nominee Member
Feb 4, 2007
@DurkaDurka

one of my friends uses Vista Business - Its not premium - It didnt had Bitlocker - Probably Vista Ultimate andd businesss premium editions have bitlocker in em. as far as normal business goes - probably no - I can do google - But would love to stand corrected on this forum.

allen_p

Nominee Member
Feb 4, 2007
@toro - any specific incidence /reason for shifting to macintosh ?

Because Windows/Mac/Unix/liux all have some issues - one or other ?