Plumcots?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
A cross between plums and apricots, pluots (aka plumcots) feature the best of both fruits: intense flavour, meaty texture, delicious sweetness. They are not genetically engineered, but are the product of cross-breeding. (The makeup is typically 70 per cent plum and 30 per cent apricot.) As a capper to this end-of-summer menu, I have made clafouti with them, but they are also exceptional in fruit salads and make a mouth-watering ice cream.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have a chum bush in my yard, so a plumcot doesn't surprise me, even though I'd never heard of one either.

jenn

Electoral Member
Jan 13, 2008
I tried them but didn't really care for them.. there is another new one out that I had never seen/heard of.. now I can't remember what it was called.. lol

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We just got them in a couple of days ago Juan. Lots of people buying them. I haven't bought any yet but they sure look good. Bought some last year and they were good so I expect the same.
Apple pears, aka Ya Pears, aka Asian Pears were in today as well. Another popular item.

Mixing an apricot with a plum was obviously a good idea. Sweeter, more flavour, and a smaller pit. Let's face it. Neither the plum nor the apricot dazzle anyone with their flavour. I picked up a half dozen a couple hours ago. We'll need some more.