Peoples Republic of Kalifornia...

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Sues six of the world’s largest automakers over global warming on Wednesday, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have caused billions of dollars in damages.

This coming from the state with, probably, the largest concentrations of motor vehicles on the planet. What makes it even more sweet is that I'm sure there are all kinds of celebrities supporting the lawsuit. Supporting it, while they are being cheauferred around in their streched Hummer H3's.

The sooner that state sinks into the pacific, and makes some Arizona prime beach front property, the better. Apologies to the 10 or 11 normal people in Kaliforniastan, you are of course excluded from my musings.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
The State is the leader in odd and frivilous lawsuits..the first to sue the tobacco companies and even attempted to sue the fast food industry :) There's something in the air on the West coast that affects everyone and this includes our BC too.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thomaska/Missile

Watch it you two! Californians have just eaten too much over-ripe fruit and had too much wine. Some of them have Birkenstock disease which does turn the intellect into rubber. But most are good folk even if their passion for personal transportation is off the wall but freeways are a mode of life (it's a big state). Some folk commute two and three hours to work every day to live in a special area they prefer.

But...generally speaking..most of the people are regular - and you never hear stories about them because they continue their lives in real ways, which could be the same in any state of the union.

I love California - truly do because you have five different climates in which to live here - don't like one? Move a few miles and set up shop in another climate. Got an new idea? You hear: "Great let's try it out and see if it works"....risktakers, creative people, positive people and fun.

There are opportunities here, a whole microcosm of global tongues and lifestyles, peoples from all over the world and because the size of the state is a country in itself.... we can all grizzle along together an amazing cohabitation...for all of our differences.

And we have problems too - but most government are proactive and definitely available to their constituents.

But the same is true of much of the west coast, right on up to B.C.
Californian people are healthy, enjoy life, don't get all neurotic over things, sort problems out in recreation pastimes.... and pay their dues into their country in terms of monetary contribution, they could probably be more thrifty with their money but prefer not to hoard in favor of exploration of "new", they export, establish great laid back and even uptight universities, humanitariansm is fruitful, acceptance and open-ness are
expected, and the people are good - inside. Or I wouldn't live here.

The original missionaries and their mustard plant trails up the coast were right on! They had a vision and it continues.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
ITN

New York is incomparable - it is a nation unto itself and has the "best" of many many things.

The modern giant of lifestyle, concept of the future, trend setter and dreamer, offering so much to all who are fortunate to live there or even visit.... and again a microcosm of our world living successfully within the collective title of "New Yorker".

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I was just teasing you. I like California (not too fond of LA), San Francisco, San Diego, Redwood National Park up North, Yosemite. Haven't been out west in a few years. But I'll be back!

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
And maybe we should sue California in return for being the backbone of a movie industry that has committed cultural genocide across the continent.
There are more screwed up kids and adults in Canada due to California's warped media sensibilities than the state could possibly pay for. Let's sue them anyway.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Back at Ya Tamarin

Gonna start another competitive "my stick is bigger than yours" argument which goes absolutely nowhere???

Canadian movies shown by the gross down here are contemptible in their nasty attempt to demean the male of the species in his role as father and husband.

The basic concept of these movies created above the 49th run along the same dialogue and same themae without change - only the talking heads and number of children being harmed by daddy are different.

The women's message (the angry modern unhappy woman) is the prime motivator and I would love to see the cable networks cease showing them in the U.S. as they give a sucky message to families.

A family unit is a strong father and a strong mother.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
No argument. Canadian filmmakers suck the big one. I just thought the garbage produced here wouldn't permeate the crowded market there. Canadian wannabes are just trying to push the envelope their American (mainly Californian cousins natch) counterparts created. Series like Trailer Park Boys, designed to appeal to hillbillies and half-wits, are popular up here because of the dumbing down of our culture due to values fatigue, a condition introduced by Hollywood.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Lets sue California for allowing--------- Canadian snow birds to wear Speedos-yyyyyyyyyyyyuky. Shiver.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Oh I suppose there are some parts of Cali that I like. I was stationed in Twentynine Palms, which while hot, miserable and totally devoid of entertainment, is pretty in a desert kind of way.

I also like the San Diego area. I guess its anything north of there that really bugs me. L.A. fun place, but peoples priorities are a little out of whack, to say the least. And I won't even talk about north of L.A.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
thomaska said:
Oh I suppose there are some parts of Cali that I like. I was stationed in Twentynine Palms, which while hot, miserable and totally devoid of entertainment, is pretty in a desert kind of way.

I also like the San Diego area. I guess its anything north of there that really bugs me. L.A. fun place, but peoples priorities are a little out of whack, to say the least. And I won't even talk about north of L.A.

I did some geology work in the Twentynine Palms area in the 1980's. I'm the other way and love that type of laid back culture and terrain.

L.A. ..a cesspool of just about everything I don't like about modern culture. My favorite part of California is at the top between the Oregon border and Eureka. I also like the eastern desert parts of southern California. Never been to San Diego.

Liking or not liking California is too broad of a stretch. Too much diversity and different ecologies, cultures, etc.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
thomaska said:

Ahem Thomaska

I think 29 Palms is boring for a specific reason....the Marines don't want to plop their trainees in the middle of a rocking scene. The biggest thing my stepson got when at 29 Palms was a tattoo... he brought six buddies to our house one weekend on leave for some R&R nursing their tattoos and they went through two water heaters taking the longest darn showers...
(privacy I guess)....

Funny those guys all signed up in Maryland and Connecticut and were shipped to California for their training. My husband signed up in San Diego and was shipped to Virginia..... go figure.

I live north of L.A. Ventura/Santa Barbara area - kinda rural and pleasant. Only go to L.A. when injected with a tranquilizer. My favorite places are in Napa, Sonoma, Esalen and Carmel though - beautiful and serene.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Anyone who says they don't like California is a fool. The state has so much variety, you can't help but like at least part of it.

I live south of LA and love it. Fun people, lots to do, great weather... what else could I possibly need?

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Wednesday's Child said:
thomaska said:

Ahem Thomaska

I think 29 Palms is boring for a specific reason....the Marines don't want to plop their trainees in the middle of a rocking scene. The biggest thing my stepson got when at 29 Palms was a tattoo... he brought six buddies to our house one weekend on leave for some R&R nursing their tattoos and they went through two water heaters taking the longest darn showers...
(privacy I guess)....

I live north of L.A. Ventura/Santa Barbara area - kinda rural and pleasant. Only go to L.A. when injected with a tranquilizer. My favorite places are in Napa, Sonoma, Esalen and Carmel though - beautiful and serene

Funny those guys all signed up in Maryland and Connecticut and were shipped to California for their training. My husband signed up in San Diego and was shipped to Virginia..... go figure.

29 sucks, absolutely has to be the buttcrack of the planet 'cept maybe for Djibouti..but ...ya know I don't even know what to say about the place, I never want to go back though, I know that.

My inlaws live in Ramona, dad-in-law worked for Lockheed Martin for 30 years so they're doing ok if you know what I mean... Its a pretty state all in all, if they could just get the Sarandons, Penns, Baldwins, et al to stay away it would be so much better. :lol:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Thomaska

Ya California has its share of natural nuts not grown on the trees, because the film industry has attracted so many people who get the god complex when they are speaking others' words and moving as directed by others. I guess they have to believe they are important....

I don't feel touched by the industry at all because it is such a huge place one can find a spot which feels like a "home" just a few miles up the road.

The only thing mildly famous where I live was the Reagan funeral and his Presidential Library. Never forget the missing man flyover that day. Takes your breath away when you stand under it.

Basic Californians are generally "from somewhere" and know how to welcome newcomers - at least the ones I have met and become friends with and worked with - are genuine and could be people in any part of the nation - because most of them have come "from there" - or another country far away. All trying to catch the dream and enjoy life too.

I'll give you: 29 Palms is not the place to "know California" hahaha...

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: Peoples Republic of Kalifornia...

tracy said:
I live south of LA and love it. Fun people, lots to do, great weather... what else could I possibly need?

Start spreading the news, Im leaving today
I want to be a part of it - new york, new york....... :p

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
On the one hand its stupid, on the other hand I think companies (and people) should have to pay for the emissions they produce.

While I don't think you should charge the company for cars people use, I do think you should charge people for the damage they cause to the property of others.

Example, my grandmother doesn't drive..but every couple of years she has to paint her house because the exhaust from the nearby highway stains it.

If people were driving by throwing eggs on her house they wouldn't get away with damaging it..but they drive around throwing toxic fumes on her house and she is expected to pay for the damage.

If it wasn't so dangerous I'd suggest you have to store all your emissions and then dispose of them like any other garbage, hook your exaust up to a gas compressor and a gas tank, empty it to a storage facility every so often.

Just my gripe about people not wanting to take responsibility for their own actions.