Ontario Liberal MP to sit as Independent

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: Ontario Liberal MP to

Good for him. But being a back bencher he would not of been forced to vote for it anyways, so it is childish for him to leave, he is just hurting himself especially if he intends to run again.

With the NDP and Bloc there is more than enough support for this bill to pass. SSM is constitutional and if he don't like it he would of been better off joining the tories.

What the hell is he talking about "the rush to pass the bill"? Everyone knew (and most people in Canada knew) this was on the agenda and that it was coming.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
As someone who has had to endure Mr O'Brien throughout his political career (more or less) I just wanted to add that the man has a poor reputation here in his home town, one of an unabashed opportunist who will always act in his own interest first.

This is nothing more than a power play on his part.

As stereotypically WASP as London may be, his particular riding has a sizeable homosexual community in it (or used to) so while he may represent the majority view in the city with this move, he sure as hell isn't making friends in his own riding.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario

So whatever happened to MP's leaving (or being kicked out) for real reasons like visiting strip clubs or paying for abortions for the lady with whom he had an affair? This "leaving a party because of one misguided belief" business is for the dogs.

Seriously though, it's only a matter of time before gay + lesbians are no longer considered a minority...but just part of the world population...just like every other so called "minority" in the world. I don't know why there is such fear behind accepting someone or something that is different than yourself. Especially you conservative and republican right-ists out there. Come out from under your rock and realize that life is not what you make it, but a compilation of many little things that happen in tandem.

ooOOOoo fear change and happiness they're out to get you!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Canucklehead said:
As someone who has had to endure Mr O'Brien throughout his political career (more or less) I just wanted to add that the man has a poor reputation here in his home town, one of an unabashed opportunist who will always act in his own interest first.

This is nothing more than a power play on his part.

As stereotypically WASP as London may be, his particular riding has a sizeable homosexual community in it (or used to) so while he may represent the majority view in the city with this move, he sure as hell isn't making friends in his own riding.

Hey...I live in London too!!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Ontario Liberal MP to

Sy said:
So whatever happened to MP's leaving (or being kicked out) for real reasons like visiting strip clubs or paying for abortions for the lady with whom he had an affair? This "leaving a party because of one misguided belief" business is for the dogs.

Seriously though, it's only a matter of time before gay + lesbians are no longer considered a minority...but just part of the world population...just like every other so called "minority" in the world. I don't know why there is such fear behind accepting someone or something that is different than yourself. Especially from you conservative and republican right-ists out there.
ooOOOoo fear change and happiness. it's out to get you!

Let’s set the record straight. It is about the definition of marriage...not whether or not gay people can have a union.

Sy

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Kingston, Ontario

Well under a CONSERVATIVE definition it does not states that a person may be married to a person...no, just man and woman. So yes it does concern wether or not gays and lesbians can have a union.

Hell even Oxford's Dictionary changed it's definition of marriage to "A legal union between two persons"

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Ontario Liberal MP to

Sy said:
Well under a CONSERVATIVE definition it does not states that a person may be married to a person...no, just man and woman. So yes it does concern wether or not gays and lesbians can have a union.

Hell even Oxford's Dictionary changed it's definition of marriage to "A legal union between two persons"

Your right...I looked it up. I will email them.

I found it interesting that the conservatives have a 52 page Policy declaration....I went to the NDP site to find theirs..... I could not find one at all....did I miss something?

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Jay said:
Hey...I live in London too!!

Hey Neighbour! 8)

I should also offer my condolences :p :lol On second thought, London isn't that bad :wink: We do have the Knights after all :D :D

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I like London.....nice quiet place. Not too much happening here, but a short drive away there is a bunch of stuff.

We have the JLC now too. I saw Sting there a few weeks ago...great place.

Never been a hockey fan, but hey....go Knights go!!

You live east side eh? I live North East...in Northridge.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario

What some seem to forget is that Marriage is a hijacked word. It is a religious term for the bonding of a man and women under god..it is part of a belief system. A civil union is not based in church. You shouldn't take words amd meanings and twist them too suit someother activity.

I couldn't care less what gay people do or how they live...But why must my terms (Marriage) be stretched to suit. Equal rights means equal not the SAME!!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
What some seem to forget is that Marriage is a hijacked word. It is a religious term for the bonding of a man and women under god..it is part of a belief system.

No it is not. If anything religions have hijacked the word from non-relgious sources.

The NDP were second in his riding if I remember correctly. Is this going to help the NDP next time around? I got the impression that O'Brien might run as an independent when he was on Politics...

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"The NDP were second in his riding if I remember correctly"

Yes they did.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I wish my MP would follow this guys example. He's a lieberal, but very socially conservative & against ssm. Just for leaving the lieberal party I would vote for him come election time.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Jay said:
You live east side eh? I live North East...in Northridge.

I'm down in Old South now, near the Wortley, but once lived in his riding. I have been a Londoner all my life (minus a 5 year absence) so his ways and reputation are no mystery to me.

Reverend Blair said:
The NDP were second in his riding if I remember correctly. Is this going to help the NDP next time around? I got the impression that O'Brien might run as an independent when he was on Politics...

I'm not sure he'd do well as an independant here but who knows...it's just a gut instinct. It would be nice to see Mathyssen(NDP) take the seat next time though

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I'm not terribly concerned if he does well or not, if he can split the Liberal vote, it would improve NDP chances. Since Jay is going to be voting NDP next time ;-), I think we could win that riding.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
As tempting as it is....I'm just outside that riding...

I have Fontana (sp)...and I doubt he wil ever loose his seat...

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

With the Conservatives so low in the polls I can't see them trying to bring down the government anytime soon. It would be political suicide. But yet we are not talking about a party with a bright leader either.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

With the polls the way they are, the Liberals are likely to try to lose a money bill. They are approaching approaching majority numbers. Even a minority would give them the excuse not to have an election after the Gomery results are in.

They can't be seen to do that though, they have taken too strong a stand against an election and will be punished if they call one now. The Liberals need to get the Conservatives to bring them down...not an easy job when the Conservative numbers are in the toilet.