olympics men hockey canada

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
"Eke" as in "eke out" is one of the most misunderstood terms in English. As you say, people generally think it means "to achieve by a narrow margin, due only to luck or arduous effort," as in "The Canadian Hockey team eked out a gold medal."

Actually, the term means "to supplement" or "to fill out," as in "I eked out my income by driving 10 hours a week for Uber" or "she eked out her bustline with some crumpled-up tissues."

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
"Eke" as in "eke out" is one of the most misunderstood terms in English. As you say, people generally think it means "to achieve by a narrow margin, due only to luck or arduous effort," as in "The Canadian Hockey team eked out a gold medal."

Actually, the term means "to supplement" or "to fill out," as in "I eked out my income by driving 10 hours a week for Uber" or "she eked out her bustline with some crumpled-up tissues."
i see. 😊 just pray that we win the damn thing. ;)

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
I watched and played hockey my whole life.

But today's game is like this boring algorithm...dump and chase...cycling. Until the puck goes back to the pointman and you get a lucky bounce goal or a screen goal. Then you're up one...you clog up the neutral zone...hook, hold, interfere and the game ends 2-1.

And when is the last time a Ref called a penalty for charging? The players are all bigger, stronger and faster but the entertainment product really does blow. I've stopped watching it all together.

The owners also blew it when they built all of the new venues. They should have made the ice bigger...somewhere in between Olympic size and NHL size ice. The stars would have more time to dazzle/ take you out of your seat...etc. And players would have more time to react, equaling less injuries.

RIP NHL. Not for this fan anymore.