Obama's Drones Target First Responders In Pakistan

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
The tactic is called "Double Tap" and involves an initial drone strike against a target in Pakistan. When first responders and other rescuers attempt to pull people out of the wreckage a second drone attacks them. This is a war crime and falls within the definition of international terrorism. It is the preferred approach of President Barack Obama. We can thank the British newspapers for publishing the truth that American journalists fear to utter. All Americans should be deeply ashamed by the actions of President Obama. Read this and weep.

US drone strikes target rescuers in Pakistan – and the west stays silent
by Glenn Greenwald

"The US government has long maintained, reasonably enough, that a defining tactic of terrorism is to launch a follow-up attack aimed at those who go to the scene of the original attack to rescue the wounded and remove the dead. Morally, such methods have also been widely condemned by the west as a hallmark of savagery. Yet, as was demonstrated yet again this weekend in Pakistan, this has become one of the favorite tactics of the very same US government...

...But attacking rescuers (and arguably worse, bombing funerals of America's drone victims) is now a tactic routinely used by the US in Pakistan. In February, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism documented that "the CIA's drone campaign in Pakistan has killed dozens of civilians who had gone to help rescue victims or were attending funerals." Specifically: "at least 50 civilians were killed in follow-up strikes when they had gone to help victims." That initial TBIJ report detailed numerous civilians killed by such follow-up strikes on rescuers, and established precisely the terror effect which the US government has long warned are sown by such attacks:

"Yusufzai, who reported on the attack, says those killed in the follow-up strike 'were trying to pull out the bodies, to help clear the rubble, and take people to hospital.' The impact of drone attacks on rescuers has been to scare people off, he says: 'They've learnt that something will happen. No one wants to go close to these damaged building anymore.'"

Since that first bureau report, there have been numerous other documented cases of the use by the US of this tactic: "On [4 June], US drones attacked rescuers in Waziristan in western Pakistan minutes after an initial strike, killing 16 people in total according to the BBC. On 28 May, drones were also reported to have returned to the attack in Khassokhel near Mir Ali." Moreover, "between May 2009 and June 2011, at least 15 attacks on rescuers were reported by credible news media, including the New York Times, CNN, ABC News and Al Jazeera."

In June, the UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial killings, summary or arbitrary executions, Christof Heyns, said that if "there have been secondary drone strikes on rescuers who are helping (the injured) after an initial drone attack, those further attacks are a war crime." There is no doubt that there have been.

(A different UN official, the UN special rapporteur on human rights and counterterrorism, Ben Emmerson, this weekend demanded that the US "must open itself to an independent investigation into its use of drone strikes or the United Nations will be forced to step in", and warned that the demand "will remain at the top of the UN political agenda until some consensus and transparency has been achieved". For many American progressives, caring about what the UN thinks is so very 2003.)

The frequency with which the US uses this tactic is reflected by this December 2011 report from ABC News on the drone killing of 16-year-old Tariq Khan and his 12-year-old cousin Waheed, just days after the older boy attended a meeting to protest US drones:

"Asked for documentation of Tariq and Waheed's deaths, Akbar did not provide pictures of the missile strike scene. Virtually none exist, since drones often target people who show up at the scene of an attack."

Not only does that tactic intimidate rescuers from helping the wounded and removing the dead, but it also ensures that journalists will be unwilling to go to the scene of a drone attack out of fear of a follow-up attack.."

Read more:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...cuers-pakistan

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
A drone is non partisan it will kill who ever it comes in contact with. Do I like Drones?
Not really I much prefer just calling a war a war and use WWII total war from the air.
It is definitive when there are no more targets you send in the mop up crew and
finish the job. Can;t really call it a war crime both Germany and the west engaged in
it. That way there is no pussy footing around. Without a total war concept drones will
have to do.
The people being attacked are not regarded as soldiers they are terrorists also known
as international criminals, so if first responders don't help them they won't get killed.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
A drone is non partisan it will kill who ever it comes in contact with. Do I like Drones?
Not really I much prefer just calling a war a war and use WWII total war from the air.
It is definitive when there are no more targets you send in the mop up crew and
finish the job. Can;t really call it a war crime both Germany and the west engaged in
it. That way there is no pussy footing around. Without a total war concept drones will
have to do.
The people being attacked are not regarded as soldiers they are terrorists also known
as international criminals, so if first responders don't help them they won't get killed.
I am really surprised to see this coming from you of all people. The concept of morality does apply. The requirements of legality do apply.

This is not WWII and America is not engaged in a vast existential struggle in this conflict. This is a war of choice being pursued by illegal and immoral means. America has complained about the use of "Double Tap" tactics by terrorists. Now it has adopted those same tactics.

Grump, you are flat out wrong on this particular issue. This is not a Just War and it isn't Total War. America is not fighting for its life. I urge to think about what I've posted and take it to heart. Thanks.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
I am really surprised to see this coming from you of all people. The concept of morality does apply. The requirements of legality do apply.

This is not WWII and America is not engaged in a vast existential struggle in this conflict. This is a war of choice being pursued by illegal and immoral means. America has complained about the use of "Double Tap" tactics by terrorists. Now it has adopted those same tactics.

Grump, you are flat out wrong on this particular issue. This is not a Just War and it isn't Total War. America is not fighting for its life. I urge to think about what I've posted and take it to heart. Thanks.
Exactly now we do not know if these wars are justify,is it to really stop a bad guy,or save the oil for billionaires?

"Always good for zombies too"