National Voting Day

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
When I was mulling over the reasons for why Canadians are going to the polls to vote their concious for a speach I am writing I thought of this: National Voting Day

What I am proposing is a day, what would be a national holiday set for the middle of the week say wednesday, that would be a paid holiday like Christmas that would be enacted every time a Federal Election is called. I picked wednesday so people would be less inclined to just take off from their riding for some deserved R & R.

I propose this for some very obvious reasons. If we are to set aside a national day where all Canadians have the day off we could see a rise in voter turnout just because many will have easier access to getting out to vote. Beyond that though would be more of a sense of pride and duty to fullfill our civic duty.

Feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance my fellow Canadians. :p
edited for bad grammer :eek:

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Thats a good point no1important. We'd see a much higher voter turnout if elections for different levels of government were held at the same time at the same place.

Unfortunately, our government likes to be difficult lol.

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
no1important said:
A national voting day every 4 years would be good. but have provincial and local elections at the same time as the federal one. Then you would get a larger turnout.

Might be a bit of overload for the first time but I really like that idea. thank you very much for sharing.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Putting it lightly, yes. The possibility of spelling it speaking it in words, impossible :?