Moving To The Maritimes

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Just to spur some discussion ... If I would consider moving to Canada, what do the Maritimes have to offer for me? What reasons can you give me to choose for the Maritimes? What do cities like Halifax or St. John's have to offer me more than - lets say - Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, Ottowa, Winnipeg, Calgary or Vancouver? What do you think makes the Maritimes so special compared to the rest (or not, in case you think the Maritimes is not the best place to move to)?

I would like to hear your opinions about this.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
Just to spur some discussion ... If I would consider moving to Canada, what do the Maritimes have to offer for me? What reasons can you give me to choose for the Maritimes? What do cities like Halifax or St. John's have to offer me more than - lets say - Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, Ottowa, Winnipeg, Calgary or Vancouver? What do you think makes the Maritimes so special compared to the rest (or not, in case you think the Maritimes is not the best place to move to)?

Well, for starters the maritimes may not offer much for jobs unless you're starting your own business. There are farms (large and small), the fisheries, and tourism. However these are usually seasonal and you're always looking for something new to work in. There's a Tim hortons on every other block so they're always hireing. :? Then there's the Call centres (of which I am currently enslaved in) which are starting to spring up here and there. Jobs in Halifax are tough though. You're competing with thousands of University students for things as menial as dishwashing. You get maritime wages ( :x ) and you're paying Ft.McMurray prices. PEI is pretty cheap though when it comes to rent and such.

The big thing about the maritimes is that it is very rural. If you're not fond of Urbanites and their ilk, you'll find a different mentality over here, it's more friendly and personal. Halifax is the closest thing you'd get to urbanites if you want to compare with Torrana and other large cities.

Also the area is older. Many of the other cities in Canada have been developed only over the last century and a half so most architecture and layout is modern. Out east there's about 400-500 years of communities, and even the cities have a old architectural feel to them. You can be living in a Victorian household for pretty cheap here in most cases.

jamie

Electoral Member
Oct 22, 2004
the wang
Ah. If I ever go to Canada for an extended amount of time ( a few months- a year or so) you'd soooooo find me in the Maritimes. PEI to be specific, maybe N.S. for a bit. There is a website for PEI that has an info packet you can send away for. It has photos, event that happen around the island, etc. I've wanted to go there for years...the scenery is gorgeous there. I hear the people are generally pleasant ( the snowbirds that come to the States from that area seem to be); it's close to the water (after living on the coast most of my life, I don't know how long I could tolerate being away from the water). All I have to do is save all that moolah and I'm there.

Also, I just read a magazine article where it focused on the growth of Maritimes cities. Halifax is really growing, as well as St. John and some other city. I'll re-read the article and if it says anything I think you'd be interested in, I'll let you know.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
A lot of Dutchmen in the Maritimes, Rick! Came here for the cheap farmland years ago... I grew up in New Brunswick, it really is a more relaxed way of life down there. Economic opportunities are obviously not as great as some of the larger cities, but everywhere has its tradeoffs. Maritimers are very friendly (except they hate Torontonians!). Old cities like Halifax and Saint John are really nice, and have lots of history, historic building etc...

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
MMMike said:
A lot of Dutchmen in the Maritimes, Rick! Came here for the cheap farmland years ago... I grew up in New Brunswick, it really is a more relaxed way of life down there. Economic opportunities are obviously not as great as some of the larger cities, but everywhere has its tradeoffs. Maritimers are very friendly (except they hate Torontonians!). Old cities like Halifax and Saint John are really nice, and have lots of history, historic building etc...
Really? Are there a lot of Dutchmen in the Maritimes? I didn't know that - I thought most emigrated to BC and the Prairies, but then again, there are some 900,000 Canadians of Dutch descent, so I guess they are everywhere :wink: ... But to all in this thread: I do not have plans to emigrate to Canada (at least, not in the near future), but I have the feeling I only hear about BC, Ontario, occasionally Quebec and the Prairies and Alberta, but never much about the Maritimes; that's why I wished to know what you are attracted to in the Maritimes. Thanks so far for the reactions :)