Massive Rape In Congo

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Amnesty: 40,000 rapes in Congo
Tuesday, October 26, 2004 Posted: 9:25 AM EDT (1325 GMT)

Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo (Reuters) - Fighters in Congo have raped at least 40,000 women and girls over the past six years yet the health system in the central African country can offer the victims little help, Amnesty International said on Tuesday.

Although war in the Democratic Republic of Congo was declared over in 2003, fighting has continued sporadically in the east with some horrific rape cases occurring in June this year, according to the human rights group.

Amnesty called for an expert team to assess the needs of the health sector, urged Congolese authorities to take a much tougher line against sexual violence and demanded a national and international effort to improve security in the east. All of the more than 20 groups involved in Congo's conflict had committed rape and sexual violence, it said in a statement.

As one example of many crimes, Amnesty cited testimony from the youngest of three sisters raped by up to 20 members of a faction which seized the eastern town of Bukavu in June. "Jeanette was raped by seven soldiers in the storeroom, Francine by eight soldiers in the shop," 16-year-old Edith said. "They put me in the bathroom. I fought with five of the soldiers when they tried to make my brothers watch me being raped. But they beat me so hard."

Only two eastern hospitals can treat survivors of sexual violence, Amnesty said, and hospitals often have no water or electricity and lack doors, windows and beds because of looting. "The government and the international community must act now to ensure access to medical care for thousands of rape survivors and ensure that the rehabilitation of the health care system is a priority," Amnesty campaign director Stephen Bowen said.
Source: www.cnn.com

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Stories like this are so sad to hear about. What do these people think they are going to accomplish by raping women and children?

I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around, and man they better look out.

I hope the international community steps in, regardless of any foreign policy.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Well, the AIDS that gets passed on through these rapes has a lot to do with Bush's lack of cooperation with the UN, as do the lack of resources available to send in aid and peacekeepers. There is an indirect link there.

The problems that plague Africa are really the result of imperialism by European countries though...the US is a relative newcomer to the scene. The legacy of the interference that really began with the slave trade is tribal warfare, including mass rape as a weapon of terror.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Not all problems in Africa are solely related to European imperialism. On the part of slavery, we should also take in consideration that slavery already existed on quite a large scale in Africa before the arrival of Europeans. 'Slaves were employed as domestic servants, they acted as carriers, they maintained oases and cut rock salt from the desert, they laboured to build towns, construct roads and clear paths, they were drafted as front line troops, and they were common in all types of agricultural work' (Hopkins, 1973). The first slaves to be deported from Africa by Europeans were mostly "traded" by local African leaders, with the slaves being predominantely members of hostile nations. On the other hand, we should also take in consideration that it were the Europeans who really triggered it off (the slavetrade), which lead to the deportation of more than 11 million black slaves from Africa to the Americas.

But to come back on the original subject: the conflict described in Congo is often called "the lost World War", or "the World War of Africa"; in this conflict - which started in 1998, and officially ended in 2003, though fighting still continues in some parts of the country (Congo), as well as in neighbouring countries like Rwanda - an astonishing 3,5 million people have died (in Eastern Congo alone that is, I don't have all figures). But I can assure you, if you go ask people about whether they have heard about this war, few - very few - will say yes.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
That's because we don't pay any attention to Africa. I know a man who writes about Africa a lot and he feels that there's an underlying racial component to that...it's easy to ignore black people in a far-away place, so our media and governments don't talk about African issues. I think he's got a point.

That's going to change in the next few years. Africa has a lot of natural resources, including oil, and the AIDS pandemic could well produce the terrorists of the future...80 million orphans pissed off at the western/northern countries is a lively hotbed for terrorist organisations, especially when our corporations start showing up and trying to exploit their resources.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
I do think you have a good point in your first paragraph Rev. When we Europeans first encountered other cultures (on purpose) in the 15th, 16th centuries, we saw them as exotic; they were humans but yet so different. They made us curious.

That changed.

During the Age of Enlightement, we saw them as 'representatives of innocence and noble savagery' (Robert B. Potter); after that, the general view became even more negative: they were uncivilised savages (19th century), and eventually, underdeveloped (20th century). I think a lot of Western people, governments, will protest to the idea that we still see Africa as some underdevelopment continent, full of savages. But it was actually a white South-African, a supporter of the Apartheid, who said it best: 'our ideas [about Africans] do not differ much from those of the Western, white (wo)man'. Maybe that is too extreme, but I do think there is still an underlying superiority in the West towards not only Africa, but also other regions in this world.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
This is why the UN needs a full time Military. To help guard and protect villages, hospitals, schools and what not in War zones. To avoid such situations. Armed forces, in countries like Congo, would avoid an encounter with UN forces (they would have to be alot) knowning what the UN is there for.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
A standing UN force would be a very positive thing, not just for Africa, but for any nation/area that finds itself in trouble.

It's also why Canada needs to come up with a civilian adjunct to our peacekeeping force. We could greatly benefit developing nations with our knowledge and technology and sending our people over there to work with the people would go a long way towards solving any inherent racism in our policies.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian
Re: RE: Massive Rape In Congo

Numure said:
This is why the UN needs a full time Military. To help guard and protect villages, hospitals, schools and what not in War zones. To avoid such situations. Armed forces, in countries like Congo, would avoid an encounter with UN forces (they would have to be alot) knowning what the UN is there for.

Comment payons-nous ceci ?
L'Amerique?
Le Canadien?
Europe Unis?

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian
Re: RE: Massive Rape In Congo

Reverend Blair said:
A standing UN force would be a very positive thing, not just for Africa, but for any nation/area that finds itself in trouble.

It's also why Canada needs to come up with a civilian adjunct to our peacekeeping force. We could greatly benefit developing nations with our knowledge and technology and sending our people over there to work with the people would go a long way towards solving any inherent racism in our policies.

Rev,
Been there with the oilfield! Too many different tribal groups to deal with! Most Africans think of themselves as belonging to a Tribal Center, not a country! My Nigerian friends pointed out there are over 20 groups in Nigeria alone and most don't like each other much less having any feeling of patriotism or feeling of working for the comon good of the Country! The International Boundaries in Afirca were drawn by European Powers who ignored the demographics of Africa and seperated whole families or tribal groups either by country or province!

This could take a century or more to work out, difficult to just start over, will need a lot of work since the colonial Powers left it in such a mess in a hurry to give independence without training or education!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Martin, I never said it would be easy or that it could be done quickly. That is no reason not to do it though. Canada, because of its cultural diversity and history of multilateralism, is in a good position to begin the work.

A standing UN force could work with the relatively new African force to keep the peace while civilian forces working under the auspices of the UN work with the African people.