Manning possibly going to run for Alberta Tory leadership

Prairie_Ally

Mar 29, 2006
Saskatchewan
Here's an excerpt from an article taken from canoe.ca:

A few hours later another well-known Alberta politician said he's "leaving the door open" for a bid to replace Klein if he should resign.

Preston Manning, founder and former leader of the federal Reform party, said he'd need to be persuaded that entering a Progressive Conservative leadership race would be best for the party, the province and him.

Manning also said he would have to be convinced there would be enough people willing to do the "heavy lifting" required to sell enough memberships for him to win.

Alberta's political scene was already in flux Saturday after Klein, who led the Tories to four straight majority governments and made the province the only debt-free one in the country, received 55 per cent support in a vote Friday night at the party's annual convention.

I was wondering who could possibly make a good replacement for Raplph, and I gotta say I was glad to hear Preston Manning is considering it. Alberta may be doing good and have all the resources, but I think Ralph Klein's leadership should be credited with keeping Alberta such a strong province. Other provinces, though having the same potential for massive resource revenues and provincial prosperity (i.e. Saskatchewan and BC) are not doing so great because of poor leadership. Hopefully Ralph Kelin's successor will do a good job, and I think Manning could do it.

Even though I am not an Albertan, as a Saskatchewaner, I feel almost like Alberta is our voice nationally. Usually, what's good for Alberta is good for Saskatchewan. Alberta is almost like a more assertive, more popular twin brother who fights mom and dad to lessen the rules or get higher allowances or something.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
RE: Manning possibly going to run for Alberta Tory leadershi

Yea I was also pleased to hear that Preston Manning is considering a bid to lead the Alberta PC's. He remains a popular figure and if the PC's do not want to loose too many seats in this next election they are going to have to find someone popular like Manning. On the other hand I hope we will see a strong Alliance movement in rural Alberta to give the real conservatives some power next time around.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Re: Manning possibly going to run for Alberta Tory leadershi

I will then look forward to Preston Manning being parodied on the Royal Canadian Air Farce. :D

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

Johnny Utah said:
I will then look forward to Preston Manning being parodied on the Royal Canadian Air Farce. :D

damnitt...havent they parodied the poor man enough :wink:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

From an Ontario perspective I think it would be a good idea.

We know who Preston is and it would probably help out our willingness to work with Alberta. I think it would be a great way for Alberta to increase it's political standing in Canada.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta

My initial hopes were that Morton would become the next leader because of his knowledge of the constitution and its issues. I also like Dinning, because his budgets were what started Alberta on the road to recovery.

Then I hear Norris, and right now, I like him. He is one who claims to be somewhat of a separatist (if you see my nickname you know why I like him), and thinks that Alberta has now grown up, with an economy that does not need to be continually siphoned by the rest of Canada.

Manning is an intersting option, though, due to his name recognition in the rest of Canada. Not really sure where he stands on the issue of transfer payments vis-a-vis Albertas money and the rest of Canadas demands.

Whover takes over has got to more a bit more to the right, though, because there is a perception that Klein moved, if not to the left, at least more to the center than most Albertans liked.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB

I think Jim Dinning is probably the favorite, but he is an old guy....I don't know if the PCs would be smart to go with him, although he is the popular finance minister. Manning is known across Canada, but I am not sure about him either.

I really think the PCs are going to loose alot of seats but not enough to loose power. The Alberta Alliance may start flexing muscle in rural Alberta and could possibly have some pull in this next govt.

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
Re: RE: Manning possibly going to run for Alberta Tory leade

Hank C said:
I think Jim Dinning is probably the favorite, but he is an old guy....I don't know if the PCs would be smart to go with him, although he is the popular finance minister. Manning is known across Canada, but I am not sure about him either.

I really think the PCs are going to loose alot of seats but not enough to loose power. The Alberta Alliance may start flexing muscle in rural Alberta and could possibly have some pull in this next govt.

I think you are right, which is why I said that the new leader of the PC's must move more to the right, in order to stop the leaking to the Alliance, or whatever right wing party is in existence when the next election rolls around. Interesting times in the most interesting province in Canada.

Hank C

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2006
Calgary, AB
Re: RE: Manning possibly going to run for Alberta Tory leade

bluealberta said:
I think you are right, which is why I said that the new leader of the PC's must move more to the right, in order to stop the leaking to the Alliance, or whatever right wing party is in existence when the next election rolls around. Interesting times in the most interesting province in Canada.

Yea that would be the logical way to look at it, seeing as how there is going to be a lot of right-wing voters leaving for the Alliance. What I would like to know is would someone as popular as Preston Manning be able to stop the bleeding of the right vote.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006

Hank C said:
Johnny Utah said:

damnitt...havent they parodied the poor man enough :wink:
Hell No. :lol:

The Gunslinger

Electoral Member
May 12, 2005
Wetaskiwin, AB

I think that the Allicance and the Liberals will gain a few more seats, but we'll still end up with the PC's. I thought Manning would be decent, and Denning proved to be a capable finance minister. But I'm hoping for more of a sabre rattler. Someone willing to go toe-to-toe with Ottawa, and the way McGuinty is getting, Toronto.