Linux -: The Future Power

Daemoen

Mar 6, 2007
Not certified, but I am very familiar with both windows and linux.

Im curious though, I havent been able to find any real reason behind this topic other than your desire to push "Oracle Enterprise Linux" Which is hillarious since its a REPACK of RHEL SRPMs, just like CentOS. ;) (I run Cent on my own servers).

For those of you who say that linux is not ready to be a desktop operating system, I am working on a distro based on ubuntu. Once I'm finished and I release it, I want you guys to test it out, and then make that statement. I get so tired of that ****.

Linux is more ready as a desktop operating system than windows is. The only thing it lacks is support from major companies due to time and monetary investment into microsoft's licensing bull.

Good thing wine is coming around. Its now pretty easy to get most mmo's and games to run under wine, so long as you know how to read and type.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
When major game publishers start supporting directx emulation of their games via Wine, then you might see some people consider gaming on linux. Until that point though gaming on Linx is more of a "hey, I got it to work exercise".

Daemoen

Mar 6, 2007
Thats not going to be as much of a problem in the (near?) future. Many of the leading game companies are working on ports to use GL instead of DX. OpenGL allows them to seamlessly flow between systems as far as the graphics is concerned. Now the kernel, thats another story.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
DaemoenNot certified, but I am very familiar with both windows and linux.

Good to see you here , you are more then welcome , Please let me know more about ubuntu, as I have heard about it a lot and I have the dvd for this also and any Idea about Free BSD

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Of course IBM is switching to Linux..

It donates something like what? A billion a year into building Linux. IBM is not a fan of its products being at the whim of Microsoft and donates heavily into Linux in code.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Of course IBM is switching to Linux..

It donates something like what? A billion a year into building Linux. IBM is not a fan of its products being at the whim of Microsoft and donates heavily into Linux in code.

Is this the reason that IBM is not making any money out of windows so switching over to linux

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Are they going to use thier own source code or they are going to come up with new brand of linux may like IBM-linux or Lin-IBM-UX or what ever.......:angryfire:

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Uhm.... IBM never made money of Windows (windows is an MS program, a rival). It tried to make a competing OS for along time but couldn't compete, so it donated most of its Code to open source projects. The logic being if it can't make money on an O/S to cut the knees out of any competitors. If the O/S is free, people could also thus afford to buy more expensive hardware for the same money (which is money to IBM, selling windows is not).

Apache is chalk full of IBM code they donated. Much of the changes to Linux in recent years have been IBM changes donated to the open source project. They don't give a damn about selling linux or making money off it.

They are keen to ensure no one makes money of an O/S since they kept failing at it. If you can't beat your competition, whipe out the industry and focus what you can do better than anyone else.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Uhm.... IBM never made money of Windows (windows is an MS program, a rival). It tried to make a competing OS for along time but couldn't compete, so it donated most of its Code to open source projects. The logic being if it can't make money on an O/S to cut the knees out of any competitors. If the O/S is free, people could also thus afford to buy more expensive hardware for the same money (which is money to IBM, selling windows is not).

Apache is chalk full of IBM code they donated. Much of the changes to Linux in recent years have been IBM changes donated to the open source project. They don't give a damn about selling linux or making money off it.

They are keen to ensure no one makes money of an O/S since they kept failing at it. If you can't beat your competition, whipe out the industry and focus what you can do better than anyone else.

Love to read your posts and your answers......:lol: , you are a good man with good knowledge