Leaving Germany for World Cup

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I'm seriously considering leaving Berlin for some kind of get away during the world cup of soccer.. Anybody have any ideas? I'm kind of scared to goto any soccer hooligan country, so that might cross off most of Europe.. Argh, what to do, what to do.

Toro

Senate Member
RE: Leaving Germany for W

Andem

Your fears are overblown. Hooliganism is a minor problem.

I've been to two World Cups, Mexico 86 and Italia 90. I saw no problems. In fact, in Italia 90, tourism was down during the tournament since all the non-footballers stayed away until the tournament was over.

And it was a huge, fun party too. I was in Turin for Brazil v. Scotland, where there were 15,000 Brazillians and 20,000 Scotsman. Everyone was outside, mingling, drinking and having a good time. It was a highlight of my trip.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well, it's definately going to be a big thing here. I expect loudness and wild parties.. Last night I was at a bar talking with a friend and there was a table of 20 italians behind us.. You can only imagine how loud they were compared to Germans.

No, I think I like the peace and quiet of Germany without a world cup. You know they actually have signs put up now in the metros teaching fans how to behave? And the British fans are being taught how not to sign anti-German WWII songs during matches.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Andem

Boy have I read you wrong! I thought you would be in the middle of any bruhaha going on - regardless of the sporting event!

So....if you want peace and quiet ... go to the nearest country which has a team playing in the World Cup. Maybe they will be quiet and peaceful while the games are being played elsewhere.
You can always stay out of the bars which promote sports.

Come back to Canada and rest. Watch the snow melt :wink:

Come visit Big Sur - where the waves make loudest noise! There is still snow in the Rockies...it's nice and quiet.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan - had to skim the morning paper....

I forgot we moved forward an hour today and I am trying to catch up.... before getting started!

I have to admit I still think winter has to have some snow. If I get desperate I can always go to the mountains here but the roads are awful (now that is an area in which Canadians could teach the Americans something.....road building in mountains)...

Growing up in Winnipeg as a young kid was fun.... and the snow was just another change in activities for me.

Is Baden Baden the hot bath and spa place? Is it where Agatha Christie disappeared from her husband once when she was angry with him?

God I have so much stuffed into my head....I'm gonna have to delete some of it soon...

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Besides....I WISH I was in germany to see the Boys from England walk all over Germany and whoever gets in our way to the world cup

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I worked in Winnipeg for two years

We lived out in Charleswood and my office was accross the street from Polo Park. We loved the place, and the people. I once suggested that Winnipeg should be moved to central Vancouver Island but then it wouldn't be Winnipeg. The little places you visit from Winnipeg like Steinback(sp), Portage, Lower Fort Gary, are all part of that city.

Now, I just have to figure out how to reset my watch. :p

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
Juan I lived in Portage La Prarie for three years and loved it. I'd go back to the Praries in a second.

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
Go to Goa.
Take in the cricket match between the Indian and English teams.
Naw not a good idea. Way more exciting than soccer but quieter.

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah Zoofer's right....I've just come bck from Goa.......it's a great place, but please, if you do wanna watch the cricket, take gallons of water, it's soooo hot there.

But as an englishman this might sound sacriligous but cricket is increadibly boring

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Sassy wrote:
Juan I lived in Portage La Prarie for three years and loved it. I'd go back to the Praries in a second.

Didn't Portage used to be a training base? God, we've lost eighty percent of the bases we had when I was in the airforce.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan

It has been daylight saving for over twelve hours hahaha...

My brother married a girl from Charleswood. We lived in a district called River Heights on Waverley Ave. between Kingsway and Academy Road and what I liked about it was a movie theater was within walking distance. Don't know if it is still there but who would tear down a movie theater??? Cretins that's who. I spent my kid-hood there throwing gum off the balcony.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
WC wow what a wild child you were.

Juan, yes Portage La Prarie was the training base for helos and planks/tutors. It you passed your training you received your wings. It is now privately run and the contract has been award to CHC, Canadian Helicopters, they provide the training and the military provides the helos.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Wednesday's Child, while I do love partying... sports fans are just not my cup of tea. Especially football/soccer. On the other side, I might get to meet some interesting people from elsewhere in Europe and possibly South America.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
OK For You Andem!!!

I was gonna show you Big Sur....ho hum.....Have a nice couple of days doing something you enjoy more than getting beer splashed on you and avoiding riots.