leafs

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
i would like to see regular season and playoff format changes:
4 15 minute periods (regulation), 15 minute sudden death periods after regulation. (all rounds)
games 1,2,3 (away) games 4,5,6,7 (home) all rounds
round 1: 1 vs. 16, 2 vs. 15, etc.
round 2: 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc.
round 3: 1 vs. 4, 2 vs. 3
round 4: 1 vs. 2
🏒 💡 :cool:

Last edited:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Maple Leafs star Mitch Marner victim of Etobicoke carjacking
Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Publishing date:May 16, 2022 • 6 hours ago • 2 minute read • 175 Comments

While Maple Leafs superstar Mitch Marner has been on the receiving end of some rough play on the ice, this is a whole new level of disgusting.

The all-star playmaker, who wears No. 16 with the blue and white, was the victim of a carjacking at gunpoint on Monday night.

“It happened at the Cineplex theatre on The Queensway,” said a police source.

Toronto Police tweeted about a carjacking at The Queensway and Islington Ave. at 7:46 p.m., saying a man was robbed of a Black Range Rover by three suspects with the use of two handguns as well as a knife.

Const. David Hopkinson said “the suspects have fled in the Range Rover.”

According to a source, Marner was going to a movie with a friend when “the guys approached wearing masks and said they wanted the vehicle. Mitch said, ‘go ahead and take it.”’

The source said while weapons were involved, Marner and his friend did not have a gun pointed directly at their heads.

“The suspects did not know it was Marner,” said the source. “They were only interested in the Range Rover, which they can quickly sell out of country.”

Toronto Police sources say all eyes are on the road looking for these armed and dangerous suspects.

Meanwhile, there was great concern about the wellbeing and safety of Marner.

“He’s doing all right,” said a source who was on the scene.

Police sources say Marner was shaken up but not physically hurt in the disturbing incident, just 48 hours after the team was eliminated from the NHL playoffs.

Carjackings and muggings have been on the rise in recent times, as have car thefts. And the thieves have become extremely violent in their fleecing of the vehicles.

Just last month, I wrote of a 17-year-old girl who had a gun placed to her neck in Lytton Park in which the carjacker said, “give me the keys” as he forced her to the ground.

Like with Marner, the suspects fled — in that instance in a 2021 white Mercedes Benz GLC 300.

“It’s horrifying and terrifying,” said Insp. Rich Harris of the Toronto Police hold-up squad.

Reached by the Toronto Sun late Monday night, Toronto Mayor John Tory said there is no place for such incidents in his city.

“My initial reaction is how dare someone do that to anyone in our city. Violence against any resident is unacceptable and I know Toronto Police work incredibly hard to bring those responsible to justice,” Tory told the Sun.

“I’m thankful no one was physically injured in this incident, according to police,” he added. “I know police are working right now to arrest the suspects in this case and have been working non-stop to crack down on carjackings — a number of arrests were announced last week.”

“I’m sure our great police service will get to the bottom of this incident and make sure those responsible face justice.”

Just last month, two men were convicted in the shooting murder of up-and-coming TSN personality Jonny Gayle, who was shot after the suspects attempted to take control of his car.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Car thieves get unwanted attention after hockey star, city councillor targeted
Publishing date:May 17, 2022 • 17 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation

Stealing high-end cars is easy money for criminals.

Since car thieves move in such a stealthy way, these criminals rarely seem to get caught, and the cars they steal are usually never seen again.

But their easy ride may become bumpier following the gunpoint theft of Maple Leafs star Mitch Marner’s Range Rover.

Nor is Marner the first high-profile person in the GTA to be victimized, as Toronto City Councillor Mark Grimes will attest.

Grimes’ Range Rover was not in his driveway one morning a couple of weeks ago. The good news is he has a special app to tracks his vehicle.

“It showed up as being near King Rd. and Hwy. 400,” said the councillor, who represents the Mimico area.

While distressed that someone stole his car, the politician was relieved he had tracked its location.

But hopes for a happy ending were dashed when police tracked the signal to an “abandoned dirt road with nothing around,” recalled Grimes.

Certainly no Range Rover. Police found the locating devices had been discarded there to create a wild goose chase.

“I was told my car was likely already on a ship container headed to somewhere else in the world,” said Grimes.

Soon, someone on another continent will be driving Grimes beloved 2018 Range Rover.

“It shocks you,” he said of being violated.

Targeting a city councillor may prove to be a mistake on the part of car thieves. Grimes has put forward a motion to encourage industry and police action designed to shut down organized car theft rings.

“This was the second such motion,” said Grimes. “Councillor Michael Colle put forward one in 2021, as well.”

In a nutshell, these councillors want to “re-establish” the Toronto Police car theft unit, ensure police forces share information, and request resources from senior levels of government to pay for more officers.

They also want to create a “Provincial/Municipal Auto Theft Task Force” to combat this epidemic of auto theft.

This is not going to be easy.

“It’s organized crime,” said Grimes.

Sophisticated, too.

They have computer equipment to clone keys and start a car electronically, and they can easily find and remove security and tracking equipment.

“Sometimes they will steal a car and park it in a mall parking lot for a couple of days to make sure it’s not being tracked and then move it,” said Grimes.

Recently, a new band of thugs have gotten into this racket, and they don’t bother with the planning, technology and patience.

They just take out their guns and steal a vehicle from an owner while the car is still running, leaving the traumatized driver behind with no ride.

“We have seen people stage accidents, as well,” said Grimes. “They hit your bumper and then take off with your car.”

That’s the bad news in May 2022.

But there’s also bad news for the robbers behind all of this.

Now that Marner’s Range Rover has been targeted, the cat is out of the bag and law enforcement is now being encouraged by politicians to shut this scourge down.

Call it the Marner effect!

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Cops working 'feverishly' on Marner carjacking amid major spike
Spree this year hits 60 compared to 59 for all of last year. “Thankfully the victims were unharmed": Insp. Rich Harris

Author of the article:Scott Laurie
Publishing date:May 17, 2022 • 13 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation

Without identifying Maple Leafs star Mitch Marner by name, Toronto Police say officers are “feverishly” working to solve Monday night’s carjacking of the hockey player.

“The victims were a man and a woman in their 20s who were robbed at gunpoint for their vehicle. That was a Land Rover that was stolen,” said Insp. Rich Harris said outside police headquarters.

“Thankfully, the victims were unharmed. And we’re actively working to establish any links with dedicated investigators — trust me when I tell you — dedicated investigators are working on this feverishly and continue to review any and all evidence.”

The intense search for suspects began after police were called around 7:45 p.m. to the parking lot of a cinema, near Islington Ave. and the Gardiner Expressway.

Harris said he believes it was a crime of opportunity, adding that thieves seek high-end vehicles which they can later sell.

“The victims did comply with the demands that were made of them and the suspects made off with their vehicle,” Harris said.

Police revealed there has been a big surge in carjackings so far in 2022.

“In 2022, our unit has had 60 carjacking occurrences that we have taken carriage of,” Harris said. “Last year, we had 59 for the entire year.”

Investigators with the holdup squad have made 20 arrests in those incidents.

Some of those arrested have been linked to multiple carjackings.

With the increase in cases, Harris said, there are more uniform and plainclothes officers patrolling in “hotspot areas” across the city.

Police also offered safety tips for drivers and car owners.

“If someone attempts to steal your car, please give it up. Do not resist. Do not argue or fight. Your safety is worth more than your car,” Harris said.

“Keep doors lock at all times. If you feel threatened, sound your alarm and call 911.”

Drivers are also being told to be aware of their surroundings, to park in areas that are well-lit, and to keep valuables out of sight.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Maple Leafs' Mitch Marner calls carjacking a 'very scary situation'
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:May 18, 2022 • 16 hours ago • 1 minute read • 11 Comments

Maple Leafs superstar Mitch Marner said late Wednesday afternoon he is “safe and doing well” after being carjacked at gunpoint earlier this week in Etobicoke.

“It was a very scary situation to be in, but we’re safe and doing well. Thank you all — your support has meant the world to us,” the Leafs forward said via his official Twitter account.

“To all the fans, my friends and teammates, and the entire Maple Leafs organization — thank you for all your positive messages over the last few days,” Marner added. “The overwhelming support I’ve felt from the Toronto community has been unbelievable.”

The search for suspects is ongoing after Toronto Police responded around 7:45 p.m. on Monday to the parking lot of a cinema near Islington Ave. and the Gardiner Expressway.

“I’d also like to thank Toronto Police Services for all their hard word in the ongoing investigation,” Marner said.

Police said a man — revealed to be Marner — was robbed of a Black Range Rover by three males armed with two handguns and a knife.

A source told the Toronto Sun that while weapons were involved, Marner and his friend did not have a gun pointed directly at their heads.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Carjackers stole Mitch Marner's ride but didn't rob him of his class
Publishing date:May 18, 2022 • 14 hours ago • 2 minute read • 7 Comments
Dylan Atack, of Hamilton, was outside the Toronto Maple Leafs practice facility in Etobicoke on Tuesday, May 17, 2022, and was extremely grateful that Mitch Marner took time out to chat, sign an autograph and pose for a photo just one day after carjackers stole his Range Rover at gunpoint.
Dylan Atack, of Hamilton, was outside the Toronto Maple Leafs practice facility in Etobicoke on Tuesday, May 17, 2022, and was extremely grateful that Mitch Marner took time out to chat, sign an autograph and pose for a photo just one day after carjackers stole his Range Rover at gunpoint. PHOTO BY SUPPLIED /Dylan Atack

Thieves stole Mitch Marner’s Range Rover at gunpoint but they didn’t rob him of his class.

“This should not go unnoticed,” said fan Dylan Atack, who is sharing his positive experience of meeting the Maple Leafs superstar coming out of the team’s Etobicoke practice facility less than 24 hours after falling victim to an armed carjacking.

Marner is not in hiding, shaking in fear, or even moving around with extra security. Instead, he’s moving forward with a smile and a grateful message to Leafs Nation.

“To all the fans, my friends and teammates, and the entire Maple Leafs Organization — thank you for all your positive messages over the last few days,” the Leafs star wrote on social media Wednesday. “The overwhelming support I’ve felt from the Toronto community has been unbelievable.”

“I’d also like to thank Toronto Police Service for all their hard work in the ongoing investigation,” Marner added.

Police have been tight-lipped about how the probe is going, but sources say it is their No. 1 priority as they try to collar the trio they describe as armed and dangerous.

Ir was just before 8 p.m. on Monday, outside of the Cineplex at The Queensway and Islington Ave., that Marner and a friend were surprised by masked carjackers wearing, two of whom were carrying handguns while one had a knife.

Police praised Marner for not trying to resist the robbery.

“It was a scary situation to be in but we’re safe and doing well,” Marner wrote in his social media post. ”Thank you all. Your support has meant the world to us.”

The Sun has learned his graciousness went further by also showing great bravery and kindness to fans in person as well.

On locker cleanout day Tuesday, no one would have blamed No. 16 for sneaking out a back way or rolling up his window and motoring through. But, instead, he stopped his vehicle and met the fans.

“Mitch Marner drove out and he rolled down his window and he signed my poster despite what happened to him on Monday,” said Atack. “Mitch still took the time and he was so kind enough to stop.”

And yes, it does appear that he was driving a Range Rover. Take that, car thieves.

Dylan was pretty sure it was a loaner but thought it was cool to see the Leafs star back on the horse so quickly.

I teased Dylan that this was the second Atack Mitch had to deal with in less than 24 hours only this one was only armed with a Sharpie pen.

“Haha, you’re right,” said Atack.

You can tell from the picture, Marner does not appear to be nervous while greeting fans. In fact, he seemed to be enjoying it.

“He was very nice,” said Atack. “All Mitch said was he’s had better days.”

But he still made sure it was a great day for Atack and the other supporters who came out to the final team meeting of the season.

jwarmington@postmedia.com