John Tory confirms he will seek third term as mayor

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'I LOVE TORONTO': John Tory confirms he will seek third term as mayor
Ontario's municipal elections are set for Oct. 24.

Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Publishing date:Mar 25, 2022 • 19 hours ago • 1 minute read • 82 Comments
The city is working to ensure Toronto's economy is robust after the pandemic, Mayor John Tory says.
Toronto Mayor John Tory. PHOTO BY JACK BOLAND /Toronto Sun
Article content
Toronto Mayor John Tory plans to seek a third term at the helm of Canada’s most populous city, ending months of speculation about whether he’d run for re-election.

Advertisement 2
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Tory made the announcement in an early-morning press release on Friday, seven months before Torontonians are set to head to the polls.

“I am running for mayor for another term because I believe Toronto needs an experienced leader who will continue to work hard with both the federal and provincial governments to ensure Toronto stays on track,” he said in the written statement.

He said that after securing his family’s blessing, he’s decided to throw his hat in the ring when candidate registration opens in May.

“I am so grateful for the opportunity to be mayor of this great city — I love Toronto, I love the people of Toronto, and I am committed to serving the people to the best of my ability for as long as I can,” he said.

Tory was first elected in 2014 with 40 per cent of the vote, replacing former mayor Rob Ford.

Advertisement 3
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
That tumultuous campaign saw him face up against now-Premier Doug Ford, who opted to run in his younger brother’s place following Rob’s cancer diagnosis.

Tory won his second term four years later with more than 60 per cent of the vote.

Despite the strong show of support, Tory’s time in office has not been without controversy.

He has faced sharp criticism for the city’s handling of the homelessness crisis, after officials and police — some dressed in riot gear — dismantled several encampments.

Tory defended the operation, calling the encampments unsafe and illegal, but promised a review into what took place.

Ontario’s municipal elections are set for Oct. 24.