"indie" music.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
I think I have officially come to hate indie music with all my heartless passion. Today, I searched through reams of mp3 blogs, only to find song after song by band after band that sounded exactly the same, sung by kids who each are trying to be quirkier and "look at me, I'm so wacky"-er than the next. Bahhhhhhhhhhh....

Thoughts?

Oh ya...and if I hear the name arcade fire once more, I'm going to puke! The hype is toooo much. They may be a good band, but, come ON!

virginia

May 29, 2007
i dunno, im kinda impartial to indie, it's really hit or miss. i do adore regina spektor though, what do you think of her?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I think I have officially come to hate indie music with all my heartless passion. Today, I searched through reams of mp3 blogs, only to find song after song by band after band that sounded exactly the same, sung by kids who each are trying to be quirkier and "look at me, I'm so wacky"-er than the next. Bahhhhhhhhhhh....

Thoughts?

Oh ya...and if I hear the name arcade fire once more, I'm going to puke! The hype is toooo much. They may be a good band, but, come ON!

Sounds like you are describing the "emo" variety of music, which is crap.

virginia

May 29, 2007
if you meant emo, or one of the many branching "genres" of emo im right there with you on the hate wagon

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It's the genre your hearing that's your not liking.

I'm currently looking forward with great enthusiasm to the new Portishead and Gram Rabbit cd's. I love the stuff Putamayo puts out. Love world music. Dislike with intensely radio friendly, over played, all the rage and everybody knows their name bands.

Love The Streets song Let's push things forward. Hilarious and oh so true.

But I like lots of different things. Everything from The Streets to Pink Martini. Can't stand listening to the same old same old day in day out.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
How can you tell what indie music is just by listening to it?

Indie bands are just bands who are signed to independent record labels.

unspoken

Nominee Member
Jun 3, 2005
SK
"Indie" music is very hit or miss for me. There's some that do it very well, but for every one of those there are 5 that basically just make random noises and call it music.

And I agree with SNFU about The Arcade Fire, they're good but there's almost a "holier than thou" attitude taken by their fans when you try and say they're not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
How can you tell what indie music is just by listening to it?

Indie bands are just bands who are signed to independent record labels.
At one time, yes, that was the way it was...but the meaning has strayed and seems to incorporate bands that fit into a certain...I don't know...sound, or look, or whatever. Take for example, again, the case of Arcade Fire. The label they are on has grown considerably and has distribution deals with some pretty major players. Is that still indie? I argue no. But, it is because of their sound that they are labelled indie. But, yes, you are right, I think indie was and still should be unsigned bands, or DIY bands or bands who are on minor labels.

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Noisettes, The Streets, The Hold Steady, Girlyman, TV On The Radio, Anthony and the Johnsons, Eliza Carthy, Ellen Allien, Hawksley Workman, Neko Case, Drive-by Truckers, The Ditty Bops, The Libertines, Morningwood, Cold War Kids. . .

Yeah, there's no good music out there. Nothing indie or interesting or unusual.

Throw out your radio.

Pangloss

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
My favourite song from their (debut?) album is "Take off your clothes) Everytime I hear that one girls voice I think what would happen if she really just let it all go? Would my ear drums pop? She can belt them out she can.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Noisettes, The Streets, The Hold Steady, Girlyman, TV On The Radio, Anthony and the Johnsons, Eliza Carthy, Ellen Allien, Hawksley Workman, Neko Case, Drive-by Truckers, The Ditty Bops, The Libertines, Morningwood, Cold War Kids. . .

Yeah, there's no good music out there. Nothing indie or interesting or unusual.

Throw out your radio.

Pangloss
Don't get me wrong...I know there is a ton of good music out there...you bet.

Some of my favourites are:

Webb Wilder, Marshall Crenshaw, Grinspoon, China Drum, Samiam, Shawn Colvin, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Ignite, Kelly Willis, Todd Snider, Jack Ingram, Mojo Nixon, Hank III, Earth Crisis, Drivin' n' Cryin', Rufus Wainwright (I looooove Rufus), good ol' Spacehog...man I liked those guys, Nailbomb...the list goes on.

I mean all of this is great music to me. None of it is overly indie...but it all sounds...different...it's all interesting stuff.

My issue here is not to say that all music sucks...that most definitly is NOT the case...however, it is to question this whole "indie" deal. It's kinda like when I was in highschool and all of these giant bands that became mainstream were still refered to as "alternative". They weren't alternative. They were topping billboard charts. That's mainstream...there is nothing alternative there. The alternative was to listen to something that wasn't them. So, these wierd labels that are awarded to certain sounds and certain bands don't always fit. And then the problem was, so many of the bands started to sound like clones of eachother...so again, alternative did not fit. Same is happening with the whole "indie" name now. We have a whole pile of bands, being picked up or distributed by larger labels or distributers who often sound very much the same, who are being dubbed "Indie". Sound the label ain't fittin' here, and I can't say that I am personally crazy about the type of music or bands that are falling into this whole "Indie" genre.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I remember the days where the best bands weren't played on the radio. Word of mouth is how you heard about them. You'd have to go to special music stores (Lyles place for me) and special order them.

Underground, it was. The bands would play large venues and never made radio rotation.

Pangloss, I'm going to check out the Noisettes. Is there a better "album" then others I should check out first?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Gotta argue that you don't have to be an unknown band to be indie.. The Grateful Dead and Phish certainly were not played on radio[for many years after becoming famous on the touring circuit]

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I remember the days where the best bands weren't played on the radio. Word of mouth is how you heard about them. You'd have to go to special music stores (Lyles place for me) and special order them.

Underground, it was. The bands would play large venues and never made radio rotation.

Pangloss, I'm going to check out the Noisettes. Is there a better "album" then others I should check out first?

I like "Three Moods of the Noisettes" - The Count Of Monte Christo is a favourite. But everybody else seems to prefer "What's The Time Mr. Wolf?"

Really, it's a wash. The music isn't radically different between the two albums - either one is great. And loud!

Loud women singers, yeah!

Pangloss

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
s243a:

I can only agree with your last post.

Why don't we call it genre pollution? Crap bands climbing on whatever trend seems to be on the rise, diluting the quality of the genre, whatever the genre is.

Pangloss