Income Tax Alberta CNRL ?

clashcityrocker

Sep 19, 2008
uk
hello all , ive been offered a job at cnrl paying 3000c$ a week , 8 weeks on 2 weeks off , 10 hours a day 6 days a week , with flights paid for back to uk . sounds good to me but i hear the tax situation is quite high , does anyone know roughly how much tax i would be paying on this ? being from the uk would i pay more than a canadian ? also any other info would be very much appreciated ,
thanks in advance

northernserf

Sep 13, 2008
Northern Alberta
Not likely you'll get an accurate answer on this....i.e. check with 5 accountants and get 5 different answers. Certainly some issues with paying taxes in two countries.....
As a general rule, tax freedom day is somewhere near middle of the year but that doesn't take into consideration all the indirect taxes of others that are tacked onto goods and services.
One of the four weeks should somehow end up in your back pocket.
Regardless, even if you just put in one shift, it will be a learning experience. (there's a reason why they are looking for labour abroad.) Good Luck.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Alberta Taxes

Canada does have a tax treaty with the UK which ensures that there isn't "double" taxation. While I'm not sure that it actually means there isn't FULL compensation for taxes paid here, at least there is some.

The Alberta tax rate is 10% after deducting your non-refundable tax credits (which is 10% of $16,161 for 2008. It could be more depending upon your personal situation (married with stay at home spouse) tax deductible union dues, donations, etc. etc. The Federal rates for 2008 are as follows:

15% on the first $37,885 or less
22% on the next $37,885 to $75,769
26% on the next $75.769 to $123,184 and
29% on $123,184 & up.

There is also the federal non-refundable tax credit of 15 % of $9,600 which is deducted before the tax % kicks in (i.e. subtract $1440).

The figures are still subject to change, as you may know there's an election in the offing so nothing is written in stone.

I believe these tax rates are considerably lower than in the UK (but I could be wrong)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
hello all , ive been offered a job at cnrl paying 3000c$ a week , 8 weeks on 2 weeks off , 10 hours a day 6 days a week , with flights paid for back to uk . sounds good to me but i hear the tax situation is quite high , does anyone know roughly how much tax i would be paying on this ? being from the uk would i pay more than a canadian ? also any other info would be very much appreciated ,
thanks in advance

Clash,
$12,000 CDN a month is pretty good pay.
Especially in these troublesome economic times.
If its clean and indoors its good pay, if its dirty work and outdoors it's not that great.
8 weeks on and 2 off kinda blows.

CNRL is a decent oil and gas company I suppose.
Frankly I would be careful about your posting because I wouldn't think
it would take someone at CNRL's HR office long to figure out who YOU are.

Full tax treaties between countries as others have posed.
If you retain your domicile in the UK you will pay probably pay UK tax.
Its no big problem I never work in Canada and yet I live there.
You probably will need an accountant or perhaps you can get CNRL to give you hand with
your taxes.
Canadian taxes are fairly compatible with UK taxes perhaps a wee bit higher.
Cost of living in Canada is much much cheaper than UK.

Cheers
Trex