IBAF may pull plug on World Baseball Classic

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Without Cuba, the World Baseball Classic, that highly charged and already highly politicized 16-team tournament scheduled for its debut in March, likely won't ever get to a "Play Ball!"

The International Baseball Federation (IBAF) is threatening to pull its sanctioning of Major League Baseball's brainchild if Cuba isn't allowed to participate. In a Jan. 3 fax from IBAF president Aldo Notari of Italy to MLB, the players union and others, Notari said that the federation would order its members out of the WBC if the U.S. government doesn't change course and lift its ban on the Cubans.

"Neither the principals of Olympism nor the rules of the International Baseball Federation permit any form of discrimination of a political nature," Notari wrote, "which is why the IBAF considers your government's refusal inadmissible."

Last month, the U.S. Treasury Department, citing a longstanding embargo of Cuba, informed MLB that it could not allow Cuba into a tournament in which the communist nation would have a financial interest. MLB and the players union are petitioning the Treasury Department to reverse the decision, and there are some indications that the Cubans would be willing to forfeit any money they'd earn as a participant in the event.

ADVERTISEMENT

"We are extremely optimistic that Cuba will be allowed to participate," Paul Archey, the senior vice president of MLB International, said, "and we'll have the best tournament we can possibly have."

If the U.S. government doesn't allow Cuba to play, the WBC almost certainly would be dead for 2006. Without sanctioning from the IBAF, other teams would be forced to drop out or face being banned by the IBAF in upcoming international events.

Whatever happens, the issue has to be resolved soon. Sixty-man rosters for the participating teams will be submitted on Jan. 17, though that deadline probably can be moved.

The inaugural WBC, to be played at seven sites in Japan, Puerto Rico and the U.S., is scheduled to begin March 3. The final round is scheduled for March 18 and 20 at Petco Park in San Diego.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...ug=cnnsi-ibafmaypullplug&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

I think if Cuba is allowed to play in the Olympics why can't it play here. If it is cancelled, only the U.S is to blame.

Along with their stupid idea of creating a Free-Cuba team.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Cuban Discrimination

Honestly, I would assert that the United States' "embargo" against Cuba has accomplished little or nothing. Refusing to permit Cuba to participate in international activities on the basis of political discrmination, more particularly with lighter-hearted activities such as baseball, in the face of an otherwise serious and sometimes depressing world, is quite plainly unacceptable in my view.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Yeah hopefully it does.

Haven't the American and Cuban teams won the past four or five gold medals in baseball.

It would be cool if they were in the final against each other.

But I'm still rooting for Canada.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: Cuban Discrimination

FiveParadox said:
Honestly, I would assert that the United States' "embargo" against Cuba has accomplished little or nothing.

So what you're saying is, the US should lift it's embargo so that the evil corporations can take further advantage of Cuba. Yes?

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
ITN got's a good point. It was the American corporations that backed Batista before his overthrow by Castro. By allowing free advantage back into Cuba isn't a good idea. However, the Cubans were hurt by the Soviet Union collapse, so I don't know.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Well, your last phrase, "I don't know", is basically contradicting your logic. American corporations are evil, and yet Cuba needs the American embargo lifted for the evil corporations to get in and boost the economy. So are the corporations evil or not? And if they are, why does Castro want the embargo lifted? To bring evil into Cuba? Or, is it possible, corporations aren't evil at all, just governments are corrupt and don't regulate corporations because of kickbacks.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
Well, your last phrase, "I don't know", is basically contradicting your logic. American corporations are evil, and yet Cuba needs the American embargo lifted for the evil corporations to get in and boost the economy. So are the corporations evil or not? And if they are, why does Castro want the embargo lifted? To bring evil into Cuba? Or, is it possible, corporations aren't evil at all, just governments are corrupt and don't regulate corporations because of kickbacks.

Well it is strange. The embargo has hurt Cuba no doubt, but I don't think Cubans want to go back to the days of Batista. If the Cuban government hadn't been so dependent on Russia and the Soviet Union, I would say let the embargo stay because they wouldn't need America.

However, with Cuba I just don't know what should be done.

Maybe it should become Canada's largest trading partner. :D

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Jersay said:
Well it is strange. The embargo has hurt Cuba no doubt, but I don't think Cubans want to go back to the days of Batista. If the Cuban government hadn't been so dependent on Russia and the Soviet Union, I would say let the embargo stay because they wouldn't need America.

However, with Cuba I just don't know what should be done.

Maybe it should become Canada's largest trading partner. :D

I would imagine they don't want to go back to Batista, but you are somehow implying that Castro has been good to them? :?

And Cuba is 1/3 the population of Canada, and you already have trade with Cuba. See Jersay, when economics 101 come into play, left wing ideologies begin to collapse.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:

And Castro is stupid...you forgot that part.

If Cuba wants to trade with America again, all Castro has to do is hold elections....don't blame America for Castro’s stupidity.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The US doesn't want to lift the embargoes, because there's too much at stake with the expatriate Cuban vote in Florida.

Cuba would like the embargo lifted in order to profit mainly from tourism, but also the other trade with the US, not so that US corporations can invade.

Just remember, as a Canadian, you're allowed to go to Cuba, but you can't use some of your credit cards there, and you can't risk going to the US if you happen to be involved in business dealings with Cuba and the US.