I want good ol' capitalism to KICK IN to provide CHeaper Internet!

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
DurkaDurka, if I am right, 8 mbps seems outrageously fast..and if you indeed do receive 750 kilobytes per second on torrents, oh Sam Walton, its real..real deal and lucky, very lucky.
But let's speak the cruelty & changes.
First, I've not seen 8 mbps on the packaging [Total Internet Service] on Bell website. In fact, 7 mbps [100 GB capped + $25.00 if unlimited] is the closest to that...which is $49.95 + tax [Couple years (2) ago, my family got [this] Ultra High Speed Connection for similar cost including tax. 5 mbps and "unlimited bandwidth"<- reason why we changed from 10 mbps Cogeco Pro..and since our town was small and never had so-called "peak-hours", speed was amazing]

And...traffic shaping a.k.a. throttle. Comcast is known for this now. They are SERIOUS about it and put actual restriction on Internet file sharing, including among FRIENDS...
I would like FBI spying over my computer better than that!

P.S. I envy you're speed but sometimes I wonder if it is worth it since most of speedy download is possible through torrents and p2p file sharing programs if there is a lot of seeders and leechers:D

Last edited:

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
We pay a nominal 9.95 USD for Netzero a month.

But...

We end up using one of the unencrypted wireless from neighbors on the block
and get all the speed we need for videos and file transfers.

Or at one of the coffee houses we use their free hot spots
or at work.

So it's a pretty cheap life. We really could get away with turning off the Net zero account.
And use the internet for free.

I suppose it's dangerous for my laptop eh ?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
DurkaDurka, if I am right, 8 mbps seems outrageously fast..and if you indeed do receive 750 kilobytes per second on torrents, oh Sam Walton, its real..real deal and lucky, very lucky.
But let's speak the cruelty & changes.
First, I've not seen 8 mbps on the packaging [Total Internet Service] on Bell website. In fact, 7 mbps [100 GB capped + $25.00 if unlimited] is the closest to that...which is $49.95 + tax [Couple years (2) ago, my family got [this] Ultra High Speed Connection for similar cost including tax. 5 mbps and "unlimited bandwidth"<- reason why we changed from 10 mbps Cogeco Pro..and since our town was small and never had so-called "peak-hours", speed was amazing]

And...traffic shaping a.k.a. throttle. Comcast is known for this now. They are SERIOUS about it and put actual restriction on Internet file sharing, including among FRIENDS...
I would like FBI spying over my computer better than that!

P.S. I envy you're speed but sometimes I wonder if it is worth it since most of speedy download is possible through torrents and p2p file sharing programs if there is a lot of seeders and leechers:D

I have the Rogers Extreme 8meg, which is fairly reliable for everything but torrents. I never claimed to get uber Torrent speeds, what I was referring to is NNTP (network news transfer protocol), which is ancient, but it allows people to post binary files, ie Music, Movies, Apps etc.

If torrents are your thing, you will need to go with a smaller ISP, pretty much all of the major ISP's have bandwidth or traffic shaping policies or combinations of both.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
We pay a nominal 9.95 USD for Netzero a month.

But...

We end up using one of the unencrypted wireless from neighbors on the block
and get all the speed we need for videos and file transfers.

Or at one of the coffee houses we use their free hot spots
or at work.

So it's a pretty cheap life. We really could get away with turning off the Net zero account.
And use the internet for free.

I suppose it's dangerous for my laptop eh ?

It's not particularly dangerous as long as you have a firewall and antivirus. It would be more dangerous for your neighbour with the open wireless though... if he has File Sharing enabled, you could easily rip off anything he has shared or other mischievous pranks.

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007
NNTP is still very alive and kicking, it is by far the most efficient way to download binary files.

I used to grab all sorts of stuff from UseNet back in the mid to late nineties. Back then, I was using an old 68040 based Macintosh computer and an application called MacSOUP to just download the messages automatically. Most of my old warez came from NNTP.

What really annoyed me about NNTP were the binaries that were broken up into 30, 50, or more pieces. You had to get every single piece before you could UUdecode them and get the binary. And it was quite frequently the case that you'd get all but two or three pieces that you needed. That was really frustrating.

Eventually I discovered Hotline and gave up on NNTP.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I used to grab all sorts of stuff from UseNet back in the mid to late nineties. Back then, I was using an old 68040 based Macintosh computer and an application called MacSOUP to just download the messages automatically. Most of my old warez came from NNTP.

What really annoyed me about NNTP were the binaries that were broken up into 30, 50, or more pieces. You had to get every single piece before you could UUdecode them and get the binary. And it was quite frequently the case that you'd get all but two or three pieces that you needed. That was really frustrating.

Eventually I discovered Hotline and gave up on NNTP.

Most nntp programs will combine the files as they download, saving you from having to compile them. I remember using hotline back in the early 2000's, haven't seen that program in years now.

warrior_won

Time Out
Nov 21, 2007
Most nntp programs will combine the files as they download, saving you from having to compile them. I remember using hotline back in the early 2000's, haven't seen that program in years now.

I'm talking about a time when software wouldn't do that. I mean, before Internet Explorer and Outlook Express were even released. At that time, your only browser options were Netscape and NCSA Mosaic.

Back then, it was a royal pain in the butt to manually grab stuff from NNTP so you just grabbed everything. You then used another application to go through the message spool and extract the binaries. You never knew what you were getting. It was like a box of chocolates as Forrest Gump might say.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'm talking about a time when software wouldn't do that. I mean, before Internet Explorer and Outlook Express were even released. At that time, your only browser options were Netscape and NCSA Mosaic.

Back then, it was a royal pain in the butt to manually grab stuff from NNTP so you just grabbed everything. You then used another application to go through the message spool and extract the binaries. You never knew what you were getting. It was like a box of chocolates as Forrest Gump might say.

I know of the era you are talking about, I wasn't much into nntp at that point... ;-) I remember with netscape having to manually add in "http://" for any site I would visit, thems was the days lol

ashleyrosa

May 15, 2018
Cleveland, OH
Increased prices of internet services mainly depend on other factors like, infrastructure, location,coverage, packages. We here in Arizona use the Spectrum internet service at cheap prices that provides more than 100 Mbps internet speed.