I Voted Absentee Today

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Province perdue du Canada, Louisian
My Daughters insisted on a 8) French Ballot as well as mine so I (EN FRANCAIS) 8) voted today to beat the rush, I only hope that democracy works. Here in Louisiana, our Ballots are printed in French 8) and English, so I jokingly tell my daughters that we might have elected Paul Martin :lol: ! I think the PQ is even running a candidate? :lol:

We hope the right people win and lead forward, however, if not, we might have to become refugees again, would the Acadiens be welcomed back in Canada? :protest:

Scenario:

Things go very wrong in the USA, refugees are streaming out from the myhem and trying to cross over into the Sanctuary of Canada. Trying to escape from a US gone mad. Among these refugees are the Cajuns from Louisiana who have crossed half a continent to escape the madhouse. The promised land is in sight.

(I am reserving all book and movie rights however). :lol:

(Wait, I do this every summer to visit friends and family up North) 8O

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
RE: I Voted Absentee Toda

You would be more then welcome. If you ever come near Chicoutimi, dit moi le. J't'invite a souper... et même rester chez mois le temps de ta visite.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

L'Acadie, there's a book called The Hand Maiden's Tale that was written when Reagan was in office. It applies more now than it did then though. You should pick up a copy. The scenario is a little different from yours, but it stems from the same basic fears.

If you do have to make a break for it, you might want to consider Manitoba. We have a pretty big French-speaking population here and it's my understanding that there were some pretty strong ties between Riel and the Acadiens.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004
Re: RE: I Voted Absentee Toda

Reverend Blair said:
L'Acadie, there's a book called The Hand Maiden's Tale that was written when Reagan was in office. It applies more now than it did then though. You should pick up a copy. The scenario is a little different from yours, but it stems from the same basic fears.

If you do have to make a break for it, you might want to consider Manitoba. We have a pretty big French-speaking population here and it's my understanding that there were some pretty strong ties between Riel and the Acadiens.

I'll look in the local library for it or order it from central library which I think has everything but the Gutenberg Bible!

A lot of Cajun have made Manitoba their summer home and the French Speaking Manitobans snow bird down here in the winter! Our good friends who play music do some festivals up there and we have been invited to accompany them, if I only had vacation time left!

I spent a few days around St. Joseph and Letillier, 8) parked in the City Park and visiting the area! My daughters were a hit with their French and the Wife and Myself found ourselves having people stop by the camper to visit the Louisianais! Louis Riel lived in Lafayette, Louisiana for a time (hiding out) and there is an Acadian Urban Legend about illegitimate Children around here! Somebody has Catholic Masses said for the repose of the Soul of Louis Riel and Justice for the cause of the Acadien People! 8O

I was visiting Jasper National Park and visiting some distant family up at Battleford, Sask who own a wheat and canola farm (I read your posts about Monsanto, don't ever become indebted to those B*****DS, the farmer's chemical wheat storiy is another story, these folks had plenty of stories!) which is more work than anything I want to do but they love it, nearly 80 now they really love the land!

Coming back in the US below Winnipeg was a trip because the US Customs agent didn't believe all these kids were ours and we had to present passports and birth certs! One of our little wise gals piped up she would rather stay with Mdm. de C. in Canada and the customs agent thought he had busted a kiddie smuggling ring! I offered to let Charlotte stay! Wifey was not amused to say the least! :p

:idea:
Yeah, definately a possibility, just have to head up I-49 to Shereveport. LA., take 71 to Kansas City, MO and the I-29 to the border!

Could be a possibility after Nov 3rd!

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

Numure said:
You would be more then welcome. If you ever come near Chicoutimi, dit moi le. J't'invite a souper... et même rester chez mois le temps de ta visite.

Bien Merci, mon ami, viste moi en Louisiane dans le Cite de Thibodaux. Le souper c'est parais-Jambalaya, Poisson de mer,
Crayfish (Ecrevisse) et Gumbo file! :D

un mois!-bien merci :eek:

La Quebec, le pays jolie! 8)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I lived in Battleford for close to a year before I moved here. The canola grows well there because you get hot days and cool nights. I hope you got out and saw all the historic things in the area though. A lot of people around there don't even realise how much history they are sitting on.

I know a woman here who is one of the descendants of the Riel family. Her last name is Lagimodiere. It's a very common name in the city...there were a lot of children and the rumour is that many of them were Riel's...seems he was a little randy...but were raised by relatives because of his position and his religion.

Martin Le Acadien

Electoral Member
Sep 29, 2004

Reverend Blair said:
I lived in Battleford for close to a year before I moved here. The canola grows well there because you get hot days and cool nights. I hope you got out and saw all the historic things in the area though. A lot of people around there don't even realise how much history they are sitting on..

Actually the "Farm" is 100 km up the Yellowhead back to Lloydminister, My Aunt's sister and her Husband farmed it since right after WW2 when the emigrated to Canada from the UK! We have been real close since my Aunt helped raise me (Ontario) when my mum died, spent a few summers on the Farm. They didn't have any kids and they keep talking about Willing it to ME 8O , realy not interested in farming, my cousins in BC and ONT have a joke that it will be foisted upon the least suspecting family member (ME!), my kids are not at all in favor of Sask since the nearest Wally-World is 100 kms away :eek: 8O Such brainwashed little minds need stores, I think that would stop impulse buying! :p

Reverend Blair said:
I know a woman here who is one of the descendants of the Riel family. Her last name is Lagimodiere. It's a very common name in the city...there were a lot of children and the rumour is that many of them were Riel's...seems he was a little randy...but were raised by relatives because of his position and his religion.

Louis was a 1880's jet setter from our stories down here, between New Orleans, Lafayette, New York, Toronto and Points West, he was certainly busy! :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Ah, Lloydminister. I've made the run between Battleford and there a few times. My co-worker used to go pick up "supplies" from his brother there. Sometimes I'd go along just to kill a night.

That's a nice part of the country, L'Acadie. If you inherit the farm, you might consider selling most of the land and keeping the homestead as a vacation home or something. Or just lease the land out.