I need a good Moose recipe

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
This will be the first time I've every cooked a moose roast.

I have no recipe!!!!! I need a tried tested and true recipe for this bad boy roast before Saturday!!!

Does anybody have one they'd be willing to share?

We're actually having company so I can't be messing around with it. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: I need a good Moose r

The best moose I ever had was cooked by my step-mother's uncle.

I don't have the measurements (I think he cooked a lot like me...no measuring allowed) but used a marinade of wine and spiced it very lightly with onion and salt and pepper, then he cooked it very slowly with orange and lemon slices in the pot.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
You could make Pemmican out of it, :cry: but I don't know how unfortunately.

:D I reccomend cutting it up into strips and letting it dry in the sun, but that's not really a recipe.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
What?!? No beer? Wine? Oh my.

Wel, I'd use beer. In fact I have used beer, and it was pretty good. It wasn't the best I've had though. I don't know if that was because I used beer or because I used apple instead of oranges and lemon, or because I cooked it just like I would a beef pot roast with veggies in the pot.

You could make Pemmican out of it, but I don't know how unfortunately.

You crush up berries in it. I don't have an exact recipe, but I do know that some pemmican has lasted years without being refridgerated.

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
Pemmican is very work intensive to prepare. First of all you need to smoke the meat until it's completely dry; then you put small strips into a canvas bag and use a mallet to crush it to a fine, dusty consistency. This takes hours of pounding to make even a small amount, but the stuff will keep for years. Mix some tallow (lard) into it when you eat it. I like it with a little sugar, but some people use berries, salt, mushrooms; basically whatever suits you.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm assuming you're aware Rev that this Doonesbury character was actually based on one of my personal icons: The esteemed Hunter S.

I'm very aware of that, Hatter. I think Thompson was one of the best writers of the 20th century.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Well I winged it with the moose.

The meat was ok. Tastey but a bit grissly. The gravy was amazing! I love gravy. Gravy and yorkshire puddings. But I'm a gravy kind of person. So it was a hit. Yay me!

LindzyRae

Nominee Member
Jan 1, 2006
Sault Ste. Marie
If you ever get your hands on ground moose meat it makes awsome sloppy joe's!
just fry up the moose add garlic and peppet (and onion seasoning if you want) but not to much!
then add cans of tomato soup till 'sloppy' and a table spoon of mustard.
I love it

Also is good are mose burgars, just do them up like regular burgars, it find you need more bread crumbs though to stick together.

LindzyRae

Nominee Member
Jan 1, 2006
Sault Ste. Marie
:p A good friend of mine and me are both from the Thunder Bay area and both big fans of all thinds Moose ( I even had a friend moose at my grandparents old place out in the country, but that's another storie). So when her father gave her about 3lbs of ground moose for x-mas, and didn't have any supplies to do anything with it, I volunteered my spices, cookware, and condements to make moose burgars and mac n cheese and mose meat and we had a nice little supper. but it was so funny watching us cook up the moose meat, picture two bulky northern gals steadly inhaling over the frying pan occasionally moving breifly to stir with the spatuala. needless to say we enjoyed every! single! drop! We both grew up on mose meat and havent had any in ages! we were suppering from moose withdrawl!
As far as I am concerned, there's nothing better!

JoeyB

Electoral Member
Feb 2, 2006
Australia

I never thought Moose could be... err... Digested.

But I guess you guys probably think the same when I say Kangaroo, or Crocodile... possum.... emu...

can someone describe the taste? Gamey? beef/lamb/chicken/venison/seafood/

I am curious...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Place moose in large pot with 40 carrots and 20 onions. salt and pepper to taste Cover with water and boil for two days. Discard feet and horns. Did I mention that the moose should be skinned and eviscerated? Don't worry about it, as they say, everything will come out okay.

Serves 194

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
#juan said:
Place moose in large pot with 40 carrots and 20 onions. salt and pepper to taste Cover with water and boil for two days. Discard feet and horns. Did I mention that the moose should be skinned and eviscerated? Don't worry about it, as they say, everything will come out okay.

Serves 194

Well, gee whiz, Juan, what if the damn moose won't climb into the pot??

cortez

Council Member
Feb 22, 2006
Re: RE: I need a good Moose r

JoeyB said:
I never thought Moose could be... err... Digested.

can someone describe the taste? Gamey? beef/lamb/chicken/venison/seafood/

I am curious...

Yup...tastes like chicken....