Hydro Helicopter Crash Reason Pinpointed

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I don't know how they figured this out but I'll take their word for it.......

In a conference regarding the fatal helicopter crash which took the lives of 4 Hydro One employees on December 14th, 2017 in Tweed, Ontario, about 100km northwest of Kingston, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada has revealed that a supply bag struck the helicopter's tail rotor as the helicopter was preparing to land.

The TSB says that the linemen had been conducting maintenance work on high-power transmission lines and, as part of the work being conducted, a few bags used for carrying tools and supplies were carried externally on a platform extending out of the right side of the fuselage. These bags, when carried externally, are normally attached with double-lock carabiners, says the TSB. Shortly before the accident, the pilot had picked up the 3 linemen at the base of a tower and was transporting them to a nearby staging area. It was at this point that one of the bags that was being carried externally blew off the platform and, along with its attached carabiner, struck the tail rotor. The TSB says that shortly thereafter, while the pilot was attempting to land, the helicopter departed from controlled flight and all 3 passengers fell from the helicopter while it was still airborne. The helicopter subsequently crashed nearby.

more

YGK Traffic

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I find it amazing how the investigators figure this stuff out. Sad for the family and friends to have lost loved ones.