How big is Formula 1 in Canada?

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Mrmom2:

As I understand it, Gordon did not turn faster laps in the F1 car than the F1 driver did in the F1 car - but he was close.

Certainly the F1 driver did not make the impression in the NASCAR that Gordon did in the F1 car.

Personally I'd rather not compare Apples with Oranges though. F1 and Nascar are very different things.

adityaroy8744

Feb 21, 2019
I live in Ontario, Canada and have been following Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix for the last 20 years. Of course, it is popular in Canada as it has been organized since 1961. I have seen Michael Schumacher winning a live couple of times, and it was a monumental experience. Its craze has increased over the years when Jacques Villeneuve, our very own racer won the title in 1997.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is that a EU name??

I slowed down on following it when the regs stopped development of artificial driving aids like computer braking in tight corners. I would much rather sit in one than watch any race. These are abouts as cheap as a 'race-car' gets. There any clubs down your way??

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
Villeneuve's (?sp) car was able to drive itself in about '98 or '99. That was when I stopped watching F1. Personally, I like rally, like the WRC. There isn't going to be any computer for quite awhile that can drive a rally car.
I have been a steady fan since the 1960.

The idea that the cars do not require any driving talent or even just a driver, is too silly for words.

It has its faults but at least it isn't as boring as a 4 hour oval race, and the ability, lap after lap, to moderate and even control a 5G breaking from 210 mph down to 60mph outbreaking or out driving your rivals as you do, is an incredible skill; likewise taking corners with the car generating 3-5G side loads and staying in control is especially fascinating to watch. The ridiculously fast pit stops timed to frustrate an opponent also interest me.

Someone praised Mario Andretti. He was a giant.

Because the cars have evolved so fast, it is almost a waste of time to do so.

In the '50's it was Fangio and Moss. In the sixties Jimmy Clark who made it look so easy. Then wee Jackie Stewart. Schumi who was brilliant was also a dirty driver at times. Today we have Lewis Hamilton who just may be the best of all. Apart from driving faster than anyone else when necessary, he seems to look after his car & tires better than others. Finally, and just as importantly, he makes way less mistakes than others.

For me, NASCAR is a bore & Indy too crash prone. However, the drivers are talented too.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
Sorry Dibbs I know a lot and those cars suck .They really don't need drivers anymore there just face men.I can tell you that not to many people care about F1 here .Theres probably more fans in Montreal than anywhere else in Canada.Thay are the only ones that get to see the cars up close :wink: By they way my uncle is a big wig at Bridgestone tire and he's the one that told me the cars don't relly need drivers :lol:
Your post shows and proves you know SFA.

You couldnt get more silly if you really worked at it.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
Mrmom2:

As I understand it, Gordon did not turn faster laps in the F1 car than the F1 driver did in the F1 car - but he was close.

Certainly the F1 driver did not make the impression in the NASCAR that Gordon did in the F1 car.

Personally I'd rather not compare Apples with Oranges though. F1 and Nascar are very different things.
Gordon did not even turn particularly competitive laps. What he did do was turn a couple of laps that showed excellent car control and promise. However, he was way too expensive and way too old.

When posting fiction keep it as real as possible.

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
Your post shows and proves you know SFA.

You couldnt get more silly if you really worked at it.
I agree. Dibbs is embarassing himself. The F1 drivers do not get paid in the millions for nothing. To suggest so, is way beyond ridiculous.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
It took fifteen years for this old clunker to make it around the circuit. I wonder if any of the other posters are still alive?

Gilgamesh

Council Member
Nov 15, 2014
LAST ? WORDS

I raced a Lotus in the early Sixties at Mosport, St,Jovite, Lime Rock,Ohio etc. Then I declared bankruptcy! Hey,I was young; and as I found to my sorrow, nowhere as talented as I had first believed.

The top drivers were/are incredibly talented. Stop this nonsense.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
LAST ? WORDS
I raced a Lotus in the early Sixties at Mosport, St,Jovite, Lime Rock,Ohio etc. Then I declared bankruptcy! Hey,I was young; and as I found to my sorrow, nowhere as talented as I had first believed.
The top drivers were/are incredibly talented. Stop this nonsense.
... against Mario?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Well, what ever he did, he did it at Ohio. Though what he was driving when he raced a Lotus was unknown.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
F1 confuses Canadians and Americans because the cars make right turns during races.

Good to see Britain's Lewis Hamilton looking well-placed to overtake Michael Schumacher as the greatest F1 driver of all time.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Looks more like soccer chumps cheering because someone kicked a ball.

They're not football fans. They look the sort to run a mile if 2000 AC Milan Ultras suddenly turned up rather than tooling themselves up and taking them on.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
They're not football fans. They look the sort to run a mile if 2000 AC Milan Ultras suddenly turned up rather than tooling themselves up and taking them on.
Oh yeah, a bunch of Limey half-wits taking blunt objects to a gun fight.

But since you've decided to be a completely idiotic, bigoted little f*ck, here's a few Nascar tracks your puny little mind can't seem to comprehend.

Sonoma:

The Charlotte Roval:

Watkins Glen:

Road America:

And of course as everyone knows, Indy Car only races on ovals, NOT!