Hindu Discussion

snfu73

disturber of the peace
There is nothing noble in being superior to some other man. The true nobility is in being superior to your previous self.

Hindu proverb.

I like this quote a great deal. It's something that I have to keep in mind...and wish that others would as well...:) I can get sucked into the idea of feeling like I am better than someone else. But...realistically...I am not. BUT...if I can learn along the way, and put those feelings behind me...I have become superior to my previous self...it's growth...it's good.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Amazon issues rare apology in India after complaints that series hurt Hindu beliefs
Author of the article:Reuters
Reuters
Publishing date:Mar 02, 2021 • 23 hours ago • 2 minute read • comment bubbleJoin the conversation
A scene from "Tandav."
A scene from "Tandav." PHOTO BY HANDOUT /Amazon Prime Video
Postmedia may earn an affiliate commission from purchases made through our links on this page.

Article content
NEW DELHI — Amazon.com Inc’s Prime Video streaming service on Tuesday issued a rare apology to its Indian viewers for some scenes in its original political drama series “Tandav,” which allegedly offended Hindu religious beliefs.

“Tandav,” a Hindi word meaning “fury,” stars top Bollywood actors. In several states it has faced police complaints and court cases alleging the show had depicted Hindu gods and goddesses in a derogatory manner, and offended religious beliefs. Lawmakers from India’s ruling nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party have also criticized it.

In a statement titled “Amazon Prime Video Apologizes,” the company on Tuesday said it deeply regrets viewers considered certain scenes to be objectionable.

Amazon apologizes “unconditionally to anyone who felt hurt,” it said, adding that it will continue to develop content while respecting the diversity of audiences’ culture and beliefs.

The “Tandav” controversy escalated last week when police in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh questioned one of Amazon’s top executives for hours in one case filed against the show.

Advertisement
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

This advertisement has not loaded yet, but your article continues below.
Article content

Asked about the company apology, a senior state police official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said authorities would continue investigating the matter.

Shows on streaming platforms such as Netflix Inc and Amazon Prime have often faced complaints in India for obscenity or offending beliefs, but the latest controversy involving the Amazon show “Tandav” is among the highest-profile cases.

An Indian media and entertainment industry executive said Amazon’s apology was unprecedented and showed that big U.S. conglomerates can capitulate to political or cultural demands. The executive spoke on condition of anonymity.

In January 2020, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos attended a Prime Video event in Mumbai with Bollywood stars and announced it would double down on its investments. He said Prime Video was doing well globally “but nowhere it’s doing better than India.”

India is a critical growth market for Amazon, where it has committed investments of $6.5 billion, with interests in e-commerce, video streaming, cloud computing and other areas.

Amazon is currently also facing calls for a ban after Reuters last month reported the U.S. firm had for years given preferential treatment to a small group of sellers on its India website and used them to circumvent the country’s strict foreign investment regulations.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Massive statue of Hindu god being built in Brampton
Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Published Dec 15, 2023 • 2 minute read
Statue of Hindu god Hanuman, which stands 55-feet-tall outside a temple in Brampton.
Statue of Hindu god Hanuman, which stands 55-feet-tall outside a temple in Brampton. PHOTO BY @HEMANNJAY /Instagram
A 55-foot-tall statue of a Hindu deity is being built in Brampton and is said to be completed by 2024.

Indian sculptor Naresh Kumawat is crafting what will be Canada’s largest statue of a Hindu god.

You may have already caught a glimpse of Hanuman, a god and “commander of the monkey army,” according to the Encyclopedia Britannica, as you drive on The Gore Rd., just north of Hwy. 7.

Kumawat has created more than 200 statues and other works of art dedicated to Hindu deities around the world, the Indian Express reported.

The artist shared a video on social media showing parts of the Hanuman statue being moved into place by a crane.

The sculpture is already up outside Hindu Sabha Mandir but while it has yet to be officially unveiled, people stopped by to take photos of the huge statue.

While many people are happy to pose alongside the giant god, some questioned the need for it, while others brought up the fact that the statue of Sir John A. Macdonald is still boarded up in a box at Queen’s Park (and will be for the foreseeable future).

However, journalist Rupa Subramanya pointed out that the Hanuman statue is on a place of worship’s private property, paid for by donations and other private monies, and violates no city zoning regulations or bylaws.

“The Hindu demigod Hanuman has nothing to do with the cancellation of Sir John A. by the progressive left,” she wrote on X in response to a post questioning the statue’s erection.

Kumawat previously constructed Canada’s former tallest Hanuman statue, standing at 50 feet tall at the Voice of Vedas temple on Yonge St. at Hwy. 7 in Richmond Hill.

The Brampton statue is said to be formally unveiled on Hanuman Jayanti — a Hindu festival celebrating the birth of the Hindu deity, and one of the protagonists of the Ramayana, Hanuman —which falls on Apr. 23 next year.
hanuman_brampton-e1702661779142[1].jpg