Here is a proposal for EI that might benefit most of us.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It's also been proven that uneducated immigrants, tend to stay within their own community, as it has happen in France and the UK within Islamic Slums, and they take resources away the working citizenry of that country.

Good Gawd you're silly. Canada has been populated by uneducated downtrodden people from all over the world. Are so epically stupid that you're going to suggest the homesteaders that opened up he west were wealthy, educated people? You're clearly either a racist or epically stupid.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Here is a proposal for EI that might benefit most of us.

For every 10 years of not collecting EI, the money that you have contributed should be rolled over into your RRSP for retirement. Why should the Government get to keep the money that you worked hard to earn?

I would prefer this verses raising the rate of my CPP. Reason why, the way the Liberals are going to spend we won’t have a retirement find by the time we reach age 65-67.

Do you have examples of 'the way Liberals are going to spend' to share with us?

Leading up to 2013, the revenue from payroll premiums increased by $600 million in each of the years 2011, 2012 and 2013. Then premiums were frozen at that "artificially high" level. Add it together up to 2017 and you've got $14.4 billion in additional revenue for the Harper government.

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation is disappointed that the government continues to treat EI surpluses like general tax revenue.

"The current government is not going quite [as far as previously], but the principle is the same," said federal director Aaron Wudrick.
"Our big fear is that governments become dependent on it, and start to bake it into their assumptions," he said.

Extra revenue risks government "getting a little loose" with spending, Wudrick said. But if surpluses were used to pay down debt, he'd support that.

"Some people might argue that it's not a big deal that it goes into general revenue," he said. "But we think it is reasonable that the government be honest about what it's doing with the money."

In 1998, former Reform party critic Monte Solberg told then finance minister Paul Martin the government had a "moral obligation" to pay back the extra billions belonging to the "waitresses and plumbers and all those people who have contributed to the EI fund."

Few Conservatives of Solberg's vintage are left to feel discomfort now that the shoe is on the other foot.

$2.7B employment insurance surplus balanced Joe Oliver's books - Politics - CBC News

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Good Gawd you're silly. Canada has been populated by uneducated downtrodden people from all over the world. Are so epically stupid that you're going to suggest the homesteaders that opened up he west were wealthy, educated people? You're clearly either a racist or epically stupid.

Peasant farmers from the steppe lands of Europe for a large part, although my "pioneer" settler ancestors were fairly well educated Britons. I say "pioneer" because they steamed across the Atlantic during the first couple of years of the 20th century , which makes them "old timers" in the West even though it was nine generations after my Mums family settled complete wilderness... twice ... in the East. The Old West is pretty new.