Henry Cavill confirms he is 'back as Superman' in new DC movies

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Henry Cavill confirms he is 'back as Superman' in new DC movies
'Thank you for your support and thank you for your patience,' DC star said in an Instagram video after appearing in Black Adam

Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Publishing date:Oct 24, 2022 • 18 hours ago • 3 minute read • Join the conversation

Henry Cavill has made it official: he is returning to the DC Extended Universe as Superman.

“I wanted to wait until the weekend was over before posting this because I wanted to give you all a chance to watch Black Adam,” Cavill said in a video posted to his Instagram on Monday. “But now that plenty of you have, I wanted to make it official: I am back as Superman.”

Cavill said his cameo in Black Adam and an image that appeared on his Instagram “are just a very small taste of things to come.”

The actor who helped launch the DCEU with 2013’s Man of Steel went on to thank fans for their unwavering support and the huge crowd response his return in Black Adam generated during the film’s mid-credits scene.

“Thank you for your support and thank you for your patience,” Cavill said. “I promise it will be rewarded.”

Cavill first played the last son of Krypton nearly 10 years ago in Man of Steel. He went on to play the Man of Tomorrow in 2016’s Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, 2017’s Justice League and 2021’s Zack Snyder’s Justice League. Before returning for a post-credits cameo opposite Dwayne Johnson in Black Adam, a headless version of the character appeared briefly in 2019’s Shazam!

At the DC film’s Canadian premiere earlier this month, Black Adam star Dwayne Johnson and his producing partner Hiram Garcia spoke about their journey to bring the hero back to audiences on the big screen.

“There were a lot of phone calls — and a lot of face-to-face meetings — to get that across the finish line, as one can imagine,” Johnson said. “I can talk to you — and my team can talk to you — about how passionate we are about this and why we feel this serves not only Black Adam but the larger DC Universe, but more important than that, it takes care of the fans. So it was phone calls, meetings and it (took) years to get that done.”

The titular character that Johnson plays in Black Adam is an antihero with God-like powers in the DC universe, someone who isn’t afraid to kill evildoers — a trait that has put him at odds with Superman and Shazam in the comic books.

Any future movies featuring the iconic DC characters squaring off against one another won’t be a “one-off,” producer Garcia added.

“Black Adam is a character that now sends ripples throughout the DC universe,” Garcia added in a separate interview with the Sun. “If we get the opportunity to tell more stories, we’re really going to dig into that.”

Garcia, who has been Johnson’s producing partner on such films as Jumanji, Hobbs & Shaw, Red Notice, Jungle Cruise and more, called Cavill’s Superman cameo a “family dream” but said it wasn’t an easy thing to make happen.

“We worked very hard towards it, and it was a lot of work. I’m not going to lie about it. It took me, (producer) Dany (Garcia), Dwayne, Flynn Picture Co., all of us working to make this happen,” Garcia said. “We would not take no for an answer. We heard no a lot, but we continued to push through. We knew what the fans wanted and we knew what we wanted and we know what that character means to the world. So we wanted to be able to deliver on it.”

Now that the film is out in theatres, Garcia has enjoyed seeing and hearing fan reaction to Cavill’s return.

“We make movies for the fans, we’re fans at heart, so to bring that character back to the DC universe and continue that storyline is a dream come true.”

Cavill will star in “at least one solo Superman movie” in his return to the role, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

mdaniell@postmedia.com

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So, how is Superman not shaggy haired and bearded? If he has infinite strength, how is he built like a bodybuilder and not like a 90 pound anaemic vegan (?) or 5yrs ago Jonah Hill?

How does he shave? Get a haircut? Work out?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So, how is Superman not shaggy haired and bearded? If he has infinite strength, how is he built like a bodybuilder and not like a 90 pound anaemic vegan (?) or 5yrs ago Jonah Hill?

How does he shave? Get a haircut? Work out?
How does he shave?

Laser eyes and a mirror.

Get a haircut?

Laser eyes and two mirrors.

Work out?

Bench a small planet.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Larry Niven wrote an hysterical short story called Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex, in which he pointed out that Superman, regardless of his appearance, is an alien from another star system. (He was positing this as a possible explanation of Supe's apparent indifference to Lois being in permanent heat over him.)

Just because humans have hair that keeps growing, and have to work out to get buff, it doesn't follow that Kryptonians do.