Hell

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Always get a kick out of Selfsame telling us no good Zionists that we're going to Hell. Murph you're at the top of the list. When I was young I guess I bought into the dogma of a literal hell and a god who would punish us eternally if we didn't find it within us to prove our love for "Him". I always loved the teachings of Jesus in the New Testament even knowing now that those writings were pre dated by the letters and influence of Saul. So we really do not know what he did or did not say. We do know if we've read the epistles of Saul that when he wasn't playing the martyr and glorifying himself, he contradicted himself consistantly, constantly. I do not think Jesus did so. But then again, Jesus never wrote a word. So all we have are writings from unknown men, and a possible source known as "Q". With that being said, what were the words about hell?. If anyone has a copy of Vines Dictionary of New Testament Words , of which I lost my copy years ago, you may find it interesting to find out the Koine Greek meanings of some of the words. The Language in which the New Testament was written. Jesus spoke of hell in the book of Mark. The earliest of the three synoptic gospels. He said, "hell is the place where the "worm" never dies" The greek word for word here is "skolex" Most theologians would tell you that this means no hope for restoration. But could this mean something else? Is it possible that Jesus was referring to the fear and guilt that religion places squarely on the shoulders of those it wants to keep in line? Could this hell actually be a state of mind, and not a literal place at all ? In his parable of the new wine , he spoke of putting new wine in an old wineskin. That is to say, corrupting what he was trying to say to the Jewish people, with the shackles of religion . I believe he was wanting to set his people free from the guilt and fears of the past. Free from the "worm". Free from the state of mind called "Hell". So we have still in our modern society among the religious a fear of an eternal hell and a guilt laden conscience for simply being a fallable human being. .... I've loved the idea and teachings of this man Jesus for as long as I can remember. I believe he was enlightened and a quantum leap for his time. I also believe he taught "grace", forgiveness and love. As far as "hell". I believe it to be a state of mind. Skolex. The place where the worm never dies.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Actually, the original concept of hell wasn't about eternal damnation. You could actually work your way out of hell. It was a last chance for your soul to redeem itself. After the Roman Empire became the Holy Roman Empire, Constantine wanted to make sure church seats within the Empire filled up as well as "encouraging" new colonials to accept Christianity so a new version of hell was devised, the one we basically know today.
The purpose of Jesus in the Bible was to make it easier to receive atonement since the old fashioned way throughout the Old Testament was through ritual sacrifice. And thank goodness someone was thinking ahead because if people still had to do that kind of sh*t, we'd be out of animals but not before the stench got out of hand.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Actually, the original concept of hell wasn't about eternal damnation. You could actually work your way out of hell. It was a last chance for your soul to redeem itself. After the Roman Empire became the Holy Roman Empire, Constantine wanted to make sure church seats within the Empire filled up as well as "encouraging" new colonials to accept Christianity so a new version of hell was devised, the one we basically know today.
The purpose of Jesus in the Bible was to make it easier to receive atonement since the old fashioned way throughout the Old Testament was through ritual sacrifice. And thank goodness someone was thinking ahead because if people still had to do that kind of sh*t, we'd be out of animals but not before the stench got out of hand.
I'm thinking the popular concept had pagan roots .