Gretsky and Canada?

masalla

Jul 29, 2004
Vancouver
Is Wayne Gretsky controlled by the NHL while assembling Canada's World Team? He recently said that he could NOT add Todd Bertuzzi to the Canadian team as long as he was suspended by the NHL. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the World Championships DIFFERENT from the NHL? Does the NHL TELL Wayne Gretsky who to add? Isn't the idea to have the best team available to win? Gretsky needs to do something on his own and forget about the NHL. There IS OTHER hockey in the world in case he didn't know it. I hope Bertuzzi goes to play permanently in Europe and forgets about the NHL anyway. Is Wayne Gretsky an NHL lackey or is he Canadian?
What do you think?

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
Hey Masalla good to see you around.

I heard, or at the news people were saying that it would get too political if Wanker signed Bert while under suspension. We still have hope though. Bert has to meet with Bettman et al in late August, if he gets re-instated then he could go.

Personally if Wayne choose to live and work in the US then he should not be allowed to have anything to do with any Canadian team. He's retired now and there is nothing stopping him from coming back here. It's a choice he is making.

crash

Nominee Member
Jul 27, 2004
Nova Scotia
The biggest crock of bullshit in the world is that Todd Bertuzzi is not on the world cup team.

Its going to hurt Canada that he is not.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
There are 3 reasons he is not allowed on the team.

1) NHL regulations/International Hockey regulations state if a player is suspended during world championships/olympics s/he is not permitted to play.

2) Bertuzzi does have a court case as well that would interfere.

3) The media would literally hound the Canadian team all the time and more importantly Bertuzzi and this would affect the entire teams performance. Imagine being chased around by the poparatzi all the time.. fun fun

[Moved from announcements to Chit Chat] :)

Isengard

Electoral Member
I don't understand why people get mad about Bertuzzi not being part of the team? Even if the guy is good, didn't he try to kill someone last season? He should be suspended for life for what he did, just as an example to other players.

I have absolutely no tolerance for behaviors like this one, no matter how good you are, you have to respond to your actions!!