Good British Bands.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
C'mon blackleaf, there's some pretty good music in Canada. However, rock music, which only a few years ago was the peak of the Canadian scene, has almost completely died out in favour of watered down versions of American rap and dance-pop. Wonder why no one watches Much Music anymore? Look at their programming - it's MTV-lite.

But, there's still a great mix of Canadian music. You can get anything from pop-rock (Barenaked Ladies, Avril Lavigne, David Usher) to pop-punk (Simple Plan, Gob) to hip-hop (k-OS) to rock (OLP, Sloan, Nickelback, Matthew Good, Default, Evans Blue, Finger Eleven) to country-rock (Blue Rodeo) to blues (Wide Mouth Mason) to indie (Arcade Fire, Of Montreal) readily available within these walls; that my friend, is a pretty eclectic mix of talent. Look on the Billboard charts and you can pick out the Habs on it on a consistent basis - Nelly Furtado, for one, has been living on it for some time. British musicians might be larger in number, but they also seem to be a lot more restricted in terms of the spectrum of genre than Canadian music, and looking at the charts since Oasis, it certainly hasn't been more impacting.

Besides, Britain has put out some stinkers too: I see Lady Sovereign, All Saints, Spice Girls, etc. Plus, I'm pretty sure Britain was a big proponant of the wretched boyband and girlband pop-smear that wiped across North America during the heydeys of Britney and the Backstreet Boys. I'm pretty sure that ridiculous Crazy Frog is a British invention as well.

Both Canadian and British music scenes are doing what they always have done: worked hard and made our countries proud. There are some bad ones to come out of each, and a lot of great ones to balance them out. I love both and wouldn't trade 'em for anything.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Crazy Frog is Swedish.

I don't think that Canadian music covers a wider range of genres than British music. Much Canadian music just seems to be Countryish - like Shania Twain and Nickleback.

British popular music consists of pock runk, metal, dance, acid house, folk music (especially from the Celtic areas), Brit pop, indie, techno....

An example of the wide range of music that Britain makes is the fact that not many other countries would have a song by Bob the Builder - a children's TV character - going into No1.

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Crazy Frog is Swedish.

I don't think that Canadian music covers a wider range of genres than British music. Much Canadian music just seems to be Countryish - like Shania Twain and Nickleback.

British popular music consists of pock runk, metal, dance, acid house, folk music (especially from the Celtic areas), Brit pop, indie, techno....

An example of the wide range of music that Britain makes is the fact that not many other countries would have a song by Bob the Builder - a children's TV character - going into No1.

Your lack of knowledge about the music scene in Canada is obvious. you're making an assumption based on lack of knowledge. Trust me, we have a wide diversity of musical styles in this country.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I've seen a lot of typos from educated people that posts here. To evaluate they're education on such a small detail is pretty pitiful. Do you check for periods too? and punctuations? It has nothing to do with British Bands.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
North American music has been greatly influenced not only by the British but by Black culture (African-American). Even Elvis Presley was hugely influenced by it. Rap and hip hop is obvious. Just about anything with a strong dance rhythm is born from western and black influence. Motown, disco and blues are examples. Jazz is another North American black influence/creation. America has owned this part of the music market. Anything you hear in popular music anywhere that is dance oriented can be attributed to the influence of Black America more than the Brits or any other geographic/cultural influence. North American music is also highly influenced by the settlement of the west - country & western. Today's pop music in North America is basically a hybrid of all of it.

Black America has likely created the best set of drummers and bassists anywhere in music, and anyone who isn't black that can be placed on that list will have been influenced almost entirely by Black America.