Fossil Fuels : The demise

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Ok, it is likely that in my lifetime (providing some terrorist dosn't finish me off sooner) that we will run out of oil etc.

When that happens, plastics will need to be recycled, tyres etc. your next credit card could be the result of re-cycling condoms 8O Nice!

I wonder how much longer the fossil fuels would last if motor raceing ceased to be. I bet a single NASCAR race uses more fuel than I will use in the next five years (Hypothetically). A formula 1 car will do somthing like 20 laps on 60 litres of fuel.

If you really think about it, the savings are quite staggering and emissions alone would probably be reduced enough to stop global warming.

Surely the motor raceing industries around the world should start taking some responsibility and stepping up to the challenge to fix this issue. I am a huge motor racing fan from bikes to cars, but some things are more important.

:idea:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Heya frap, my bud bevvy is back at the board..she is a huge huge fan of nascar...bet she know more than even yo! Where the heck is mrs. dibbs?? and how is ...william? notice I never said the other :p banker bill and the gang send their regards...oh yes I mentioned to the barastia that her pic was passed around your office...whoa! she wants to know if any of the good looking ones are looking for a green card :lol: :lol: :lol: Bwhahahahhahha!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Fossil Fuels : The de

They should follow the CART model and run on alternative fuels. CART has been using methanol for a very long time now.

It's also the most diverse form of racing, featuring large ovals, short ovals, permanent road courses, and temporary street circuits.

I say we cancel everything but CART. ;-)

Really though, we can learn a lot from auto racing, Mr. Dibs. Those cars go that fast because they are efficient. That efficiency can also be used to increase fuel economy. Automakers use racing as a test facility for their development programs.

I'll except NASCAR from that since they insist on using 1960's muscle car technology.

Maybe somebody needs to start a series featuring fuel-cell vehicles or hybrids. That'd be cool.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
CART sucks those pieces of shit touch wheels or the the wall and there done for the day .Glass cars lame cicuit ans even lamer drivers all there good drivers went to INDY all they have left is Tracy and I'll bet he switches over soon too .I'd like to see what he could do in a Nascar He has talked about it . :p

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Good drivers know how not to drive into each other, Mr. Mom. Real car builders can build cars that turn right as well as left. Real racing series aren't afraid of going over 200 MPH. :p

Nobody tell Mr. Mom that I watch NASCAR as much as I watch CART :wink:

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I guess you've nevr seen Talledaga where good drivers bump into each other at over 200 mph .Not like the one name cicuit called Cart Rev :p Who else do they have over there oh yea nobody :p I used to be a huge Cart fan till they split and then went to that piece of garbage Cosworth engine for everybody .Whats up with that thats lo tech not high :p

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
I enjoy the stocks here on the Island, a simple 1/4 mile oval, and hobby stock drivers out with more enthusiasm than talent, so fun...i want to drive stock. The modified cars have spectacular crashes on a small track, and I have yet to see a driver seriously injured, except for the guy who was running on the bleachers and fell of the back of the top bench...his own stupidity

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
I was right there at Vancouver Molson Indy when Willie T Ribbs ran over and killed a track worker .It was pure ugly .That was back in the day when CART was good and had all the best drivers now its just a plaything for Paul Newman and his buddys :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
All the best drivers? You mean like Willie T? He showed an amazing lack of talent and when Bill Cosby cut the money, his ride went away.

CART has a lot of young drivers, Mom. It also has a few guys that have been around for a while. That makes for some exciting racing. Did the IRL hurt CART? Yeah, because so much of the US sponsorshp money is based on the Indy 500, but the fact that Tony George is greedy moron who should be drawn and quartered is not something the rest of us have any control over.

As for your shot at Paul Newman...the man is a real racer. He still races, even though he's old, as well as being a co-owner of Newman-Haus. How many of your NASCAR owners have the balls to jump into a race car?

There are rumours that CART and the IRL will be joining back up, anyway. The existing IRL will then rename itself and become a training ground for people too stupid to right, much like NASCAR is now.

Nobody tell Mr. Mom about the Dale Earnhardt action figure on my desk, 'kay

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Intimidator Fan are you Rev 8O I use to like cart when guys like the Unsers and AJ Foyt were there 8) You ever been to a race Rev ?IVe been to both and I'll tell you since the went to all having the samr engine it sucks period.Those Coswoth engines just are not the same sorry .The sound like tin and they don't pop as much as the old ones did when they down shifted .In qualifying you could hear who was running on the ragged edge when the had very little restrictions now they all sound the same .Its just plain lame :wink:

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
Frappuccino Dibs said:
I wonder how much longer the fossil fuels would last if motor raceing ceased to be. I bet a single NASCAR race uses more fuel than I will use in the next five years (Hypothetically). :idea:

This is the lamest thing I've heard since the last time I listened to a Rumsfeld press conference - the small city of Kamloops uses more fuel to go to work in ONE MORNING, than any NASCAR race. And it provides jobs for HUNDREDS of people, bringing Millions of dollars into the economy of the area around the race. How much good does the Tour d'Gastown bring in? Some, sure, but pissing into the wind compared to NASCAR!

And don't anyone bring up the old "it doesn't matter how much money it brings in."line - it sure as Hell DOES, if YOU have one of those jobs....

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Fossil Fuels : The de

We're way past that now, Ten Packs...now we're just ridiculing each other. :)

I've never been to a big race, Mr. Mom...they don't have many here in the middle of the country. I do know plenty of people that have been though, and the opinions are really split on the engines. A lot of people think it's more competitive now.

I liked it best when they limited the fuel for the race, there were three Penske cars out there, and Michael Andretti and Al jr. were young. So what though...they're both done. The good drivers that CART lost to the IRL are getting on a bit too...Dario Franchitti isn't exactly the new guy anymore.

I know what you mean about the popping too. I was in Vancouver just before the race once, when they were already practicing. We were far enough away that you could just barely hear the cars but I kept hearing this bang. The only other race fan there explained that it was the pop-off valves releasing under the bridge. You never heard that on the TV coverage at all.

And just to get back to Ten Packs comment for a second...If you want to know how much money a race brings in, I had to stay in some fleabag motel instead of my usual hovel at the Richmond Inn, and they still charged me $100 a night because every hotel was booked.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Hey Rev my Aunt has a ranch just west from me and one the Cart teams mechanics lives just across the valley from her .I haven't met him yet but I try to bump into him when I'm out there :wink:

Extrafire

Council Member
Mar 31, 2005
Prince George, BC
To get back on topic,

A Saudi oil minister said; "The stone age came to an end, not because of a lack of stones. The oil age will come to an end also, but not because of a lack of oil".

Last estimate I heard, we have enough for 500 years at present rates of consumption. Oil as a fuel will be replaced long before then.

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Ten Packs:

Your response is the lamest thing I've seen in a while.

In 30 or so years time when we have run out of fossile fuels and all those HUNDREDS of people are out of work anyway, think back to what you said here.

If you deny that motor racing uses huge amounts of fuel then you really are short sighted.

Heres some stats for you (not hypothetical and not worthy of your groundless mocking):

McLaren formula 1 team : Consumed 75,000 litres of Mobil Unleaded fuel for track work during the 2004 season.

Michelin supplied Team McLaren Mercedes’ race cars with 2575 tyres in total for the 18 Grand Prix weekends in 2004. (1360 dry-weather tyres and 944 wet-weather tyres).

Thats one team in one season of one style of raceing, doing races of ~60 - 80 laps. Now think about the rest of motor racing around the globe.

Whether my example in the opening text was bollox or not, you cannot deny that motor racing is a needless drain on the earths resources.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now