Former police chief Saunders running for Doug Ford's PCs

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Former police chief Saunders running for Doug Ford's PCs
Author of the article:Antonella Artuso
Publishing date:Mar 22, 2022 • 9 hours ago • 2 minute read • Join the conversation
Mark Saunders leaves police headquarters on his last day as Toronto's police chief, on Friday, July 31, 2020.
Mark Saunders leaves police headquarters on his last day as Toronto's police chief, on Friday, July 31, 2020. PHOTO BY VERONICA HENRI /TORONTO SUN FILES
Article content
Former Toronto police chief Mark Saunders is the latest top city cop to take the plunge into politics.

Advertisement 2
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
Saunders will carry the Ontario Progressive Conservative banner in Don Valley West, the riding currently held by former Liberal premier Kathleen Wynne, who is not running again.

“I’m honoured to have been chosen by Doug Ford as the 2022 Ontario PC candidate for Don Valley West,” Saunders said in a statement Tuesday. “Doug and I have worked closely over the years, and I’ve always admired his strong leadership and dedication to supporting Ontarians, especially over the last two years. This is a critical time in Ontario’s history as we recover from the impacts of the pandemic, and it is clear the Ontario PC Party has a strong plan to build a better future for our families and future generations to come, whether it’s investing in transit, building highways, strengthening our health care system, or supporting workers and cutting costs for Ontarians.”

Advertisement 3
STORY CONTINUES BELOW

Article content
The Ontario Liberals have nominated financial services executive Stephanie Brown in Don Valley West.

Irwin Elman, the former Ontario Child Advocate, will run for the NDP.

Saunders retired from the Toronto Police Service in 2020 after five years as chief.

At the time, he said he would continue to work for the citizens of Toronto.

The Ford government appointed Saunders to its COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution Task Force in December 2020 and named him as a special advisor to Ontario Place in March 2021

“There is no one I’d rather have on the ballot in Don Valley West than Mark,” Ford said in a statement. “Mark brings an incredible amount of experience serving with the Toronto Police Service for nearly four decades. I’m thrilled to have him join our team and have no doubt he’ll be an incredible voice at Queen’s Park.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

The Ford government has named former Toronto Police chief Mark Saunders as a special adviser to the province for its redevelopment of Ontario Place.
Former Toronto police chief appointed special advisor to Ontario Place
Mark Saunders leaves police headquarters on his last day as Toronto's Police Chief on Friday, July 31, 2020.
Search for Toronto's new police chief begins
Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders at the scene of a homicide on Tuesday, May 26, 2020. Saunders says he wants anti-black racism protests planned for Toronto this weekend to be peaceful.
Toronto's top cop calls it a career

Former Toronto police chief Bill Blair represents the federal riding of Scarborough Southwest for the Liberals and serves as the Minister of Emergency Preparedness.

Former Toronto police chief Julian Fantino was a minister in the cabinet of former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper after winning a by-election in the riding of Vaughan.

aartuso@postmedia.com