Ford denies wrongdoing over developers attending daughter's wedding and stag and doe

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
35,784
3,025
113
Ford denies wrongdoing over developers attending daughter's wedding and stag and doe
Ford says everyone is welcome to his home and that he knows the difference between right and wrong.

Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Published Feb 10, 2023 • 2 minute read

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said he has been cleared by the province’s integrity commissioner, who found no wrongdoing after developers attended his daughter’s stag-and-doe event last summer.


The Office of the Integrity Commissioner of Ontario said it looked into the stag and doe — which is typically a fundraiser for a couple before they get married — and the wedding of Ford’s daughter after media publication Queen’s Park Briefing asked about it last month.


The commissioner’s office said that based on information provided, Ford had no knowledge of gifts given to his daughter and son-in-law and that there was no discussion of government business at either event.

“I know the difference of what we should and shouldn’t do,” Ford said at a news conference Friday.

“Our family’s been in politics for 30 years. We know tens of thousands of people and, you know, I went to the integrity commissioner. He cleared it 1,000 per cent, not 999, 1,000 per cent.”


The guests have been identified as developers who are friends of the Ford family, “and in some cases have been for decades,” the integrity commissioner’s office said.

“The commissioner was of the opinion that there was nothing to indicate non-compliance with the Members’ Integrity Act related to these events,” said commissioner spokeswoman Michelle Renaud.

Ontario’s integrity commissioner and auditor general are conducting separate investigations into the government’s decision to open protected Greenbelt lands up to housing development.

Commissioner J. David Wake is investigating a complaint from NDP Leader Marit Stiles on what she calls the “curious timing of recent purchases of Greenbelt land by powerful landowners with donor and political ties to the Ontario PC Party.”


Both Ford and Housing Minister Steve Clark have denied any wrongdoing and tipping off developers.

Clark announced in November that the government will remove land from 15 different areas of the protected Greenbelt while adding acres elsewhere so that 50,000 homes can be built.

It is part of the government’s pledge to build 1.5 million homes over the next decade.

Auditor general Bonnie Lysyk said she’s conducting a value-for-money audit of financial and environmental implications of the Greenbelt decision after being asked to look into it by Stiles, interim Liberal leader John Fraser and Green Party Leader Mike Schreiner.

On Friday, Ford refused to name the developers who attended the stag and doe or his daughter’s wedding.

“It’s a private family situation and that’s all it is,” Ford said.

“And by the way, I have two more weddings coming up, too, so we’ll give you the list after that, too. It’s ridiculous, this is ridiculous, to be frank with you.”

Ford said he knows “hundreds of developers” and that everyone is welcome at his home any time they have an event.

“When we have Ford Fest and 6,000 people show up to our house over a five-hour period, I don’t sit at the door with a metal detector and start checking names,” he said, referring to an annual public gathering hosted by his family.
 

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
35,784
3,025
113
Ford won't say who sent invites to daughter's $150 stag-and-doe event
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Published Feb 15, 2023 • 1 minute read

BRAMPTON — Ontario Premier Doug Ford is not divulging details of who sent invitations — including to developers — for his daughter’s $150-a-ticket stag and doe party, saying only that “the boys took care of that” when asked about the money that was raised.


Ford says the integrity commissioner cleared him over the event, and the commissioner’s office has said that based on information provided, Ford had no knowledge of gifts given to his daughter and son-in-law and that there was no discussion of government business at the event.


Ford says today that it’s “ridiculous” that there continues to be so many questions from journalists over an event with $150 tickets.

When asked how much money was raised at the event from developers and who the money went to, Ford said his family home has an open-door policy and “the boys took care of that.”

Ontario’s integrity commissioner and auditor general are conducting separate investigations into the government’s decision to open protected Greenbelt lands up to housing development.

Both Ford and Housing Minister Steve Clark have denied any wrongdoing and tipping off developers.
 

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
10,607
5,250
113
Olympus Mons
The whole developer thing could just be horrible optics, but then again,...

However, this whole "Greenbelt" thing is ridiculously partisan. The previous Liberal govt designated the "Greenbelt" and then proceeded to carve into it some 15 times without so much as whimper from the media or the leftist losers who suddenly care about development in the Greenbelt.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
2,743
1,662
113
The whole developer thing could just be horrible optics, but then again,...

However, this whole "Greenbelt" thing is ridiculously partisan. The previous Liberal govt designated the "Greenbelt" and then proceeded to carve into it some 15 times without so much as whimper from the media or the leftist losers who suddenly care about development in the Greenbelt.
You are not supposed to know that.
 

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
35,784
3,025
113
NDP files integrity complaint about Ford family stag-and-doe
Government House Leader Paul Calandra called her complaint a "drive-by smear."

Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Published Feb 23, 2023 • Last updated 2 days ago • 2 minute read

NDP Leader Marit Stiles has asked Ontario’s integrity commissioner to issue an opinion on Premier Doug Ford’s actions surrounding his daughter’s stag-and-doe event, which she calls “troubling.”


Ford has acknowledged that some developers, who are friends, attended the $150-a-ticket event and media reports say lobbyists and government relations firms were also invited.


Stiles said in her complaint that several individuals and developers who attended the subsequent wedding have received favourable Minister’s Zoning Orders and at least one has benefitted from recent policy changes related to removing land from the protected Greenbelt for development.

She cited media reports that said invitees felt “browbeaten” into purchasing tickets.

“I am concerned that invitees felt pressured to contribute to the premier’s family fundraiser, particularly as some invitees felt they weren’t being asked as ‘friends’ of the premier — but as government stakeholders — and feared impacts on their professional reputations and working relationships with the government,” she wrote in her complaint.


The evidence Stiles said was attached to the complaint outlines “a troubling pattern of ongoing government policy decisions benefiting particular private interests of individuals and developers with ties to the premier through these two events.”

Ontario's legislature resumes Tuesday with opposition MPPs ready to hammer the Doug Ford government over its plans for health care and housing.

Ford has said he already asked the integrity commissioner for an opinion on the stag-and-doe event and the commissioner’s office found there was no violation.

Ford was not in the legislature to respond to questions Thursday from Stiles, but government house leader Paul Calandra calls her complaint a “drive-by smear.”

“(They) tried this once and the integrity commissioner has said that there was no issue,” Calandra said. “The premier has answered the question. So (the NDP figures) let’s try another smear tactic. Let’s try bringing the family into it.”


Stiles is asking the integrity commissioner to look into whether Ford violated sections of the Members’ Integrity Act relating to furthering someone’s private interests and accepting a gift or benefit connected directly or indirectly with the performance of a member’s duties.

She said Ford only asked the integrity commissioner for an opinion on his conduct around the event months after it took place, after a journalist started asking questions, and she doesn’t know what information the commissioner based his opinion on.

“We don’t know what he told (the commissioner),” she said.

“We don’t know if he gave the integrity commissioner names … There are people who said they were asked to pay $150 (and additional donations of) $1,000 to attend and that they felt browbeaten, that they felt that this was dirty. And we don’t know if Mr. Ford provided any of that information to the integrity commissioner.”
 

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
35,784
3,025
113
Ontario integrity commissioner pauses Ford stag-and-doe probe
J. David Wake says the pause is due to an overlap with a related investigation

Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Published Mar 16, 2023 • Last updated 1 day ago • 1 minute read

Ontario’s integrity commissioner says he’s temporarily setting aside a request from the NDP to issue an opinion on Premier Doug Ford’s daughter’s stag-and-doe event.


Integrity Commissioner J. David Wake says in a statement today that while there are some “flaws” in the request from NDP Leader Marit Stiles, he isn’t outright dismissing it — just pausing it — because there is overlap with a related investigation.


Stiles had also asked Wake to investigate what she called the “curious timing of recent purchases of Greenbelt land by powerful landowners with donor and political ties to the Ontario PC Party.”

Wake says he and his staff are reviewing the “extensive material” gathered so far, have done independent research, and are preparing summonses for numerous witnesses to be interviewed.

Ford and Municipal Affairs and Housing Minister Steve Clark have both denied tipping off developers ahead of the public announcement that the government would remove land from 15 different areas of the protected Greenbelt so that 50,000 homes can be built.

Ford has acknowledged that some developers, who are friends, attended the $150-a-ticket stag-and-doe event and media reports say lobbyists and government relations firms were also invited.

But Wake says the only question that matters is whether Ford himself received any funds, which the premier has denied.