FLU vaccine shortage

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
There is many areas we can go with this one but I won't tread too far.

All I'll say is that I don't get this shot and I am more than happy to pass my allocation on to anyone who hasn't done their homework.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I don't get the flu shot either as I believe the human body needs to get sick every once in a while to keep our immune system healthy (does that sound like an oxymoron or what?). However I do understand the importance of the elderly and sick getting theirs.

Oh and our house had the flu last month and there was no vaccine out there yet. It's a doozy.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: FLU vaccine shortage

bevvyd said:
I believe the human body needs to get sick every once in a while to keep our immune system healthy

I'm with you, absolutely. What amazes me is the media coverage of this 'flu shot vaccine shortage in the US. They refer to it as a 'crisis'. It's the 'flu, for heaven's sake. Talk about a classic case of fear-mongering.

As for elders, I have noticed that where once 'flu and pneumonia were considered the 'old person's friend' because they often gave a relatively painless exit to old people suffering from serious health conditions. Now, those old people are spared from dying from pneumonia and 'flu and instead get to die much more slowly and painfully from other, more agonizing, conditions.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
I heard about the lotteries some states are holding. It's not very nice of them to incite fear that, IMO, this lottery would bring about.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: FLU vaccine shortage

bevvyd said:
I heard about the lotteries some states are holding. It's not very nice of them to incite fear that, IMO, this lottery would bring about.

Yes, I just heard about that lottery thing this morning. Guaranteed to increase the fear, I'd say.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Haggis McBagpipe said:
As for elders, I have noticed that where once 'flu and pneumonia were considered the 'old person's friend' because they often gave a relatively painless exit to old people suffering from serious health conditions. Now, those old people are spared from dying from pneumonia and 'flu and instead get to die much more slowly and painfully from other, more agonizing, conditions.
Not all elders who die of the flu are "happy" with that. This line of thinking is somehow wrong Haggis. You assume every elder who dies of the flu, wants to die of the flu, rather than dieing from something else. Does this mean we shouldn't care less about elders with a bad health, and just throw everything on the pile of "a humane death"? Besides the elders, by the way, there are also a lot of younger, relatively healthy people, who can get some serious problems when they get the flu. I recall a girl in my class who had to get a shot every year (twice, actually), because she had something with her heart and catching the flu could have serious consequences for her. And besides this all, never heard of the Spanish Flu? Or all those other influenza epidemics who have taken the lives of millions? Influenza viruses are able to mutate; in fact, with every new epidemic, this just means the virus (although it's theoratically not even one single virus, but all sorts of viruses under the name of influenza) has evolved again. Numbers show that some years, the flu is more active and more deadly, and more people die of it.

I think it's a good think they spend such attention to a possible flu vaccin shortage.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Rick van Opbergen said:
This line of thinking is somehow wrong Haggis.

Oh, okay. Well, I didn't realize that a personal observation based on personal experiences could be wrong, but, well, I guess I was wrong. :cool: :cool:

You assume every elder who dies of the 'flu, wants to die of the 'flu, rather than dieing from something else.

No, I'm afraid you are the one making assumptions here. I made an observation of what I personally have seen over the years. I do not think every elder who dies of the 'flu wanted to die of the 'flu. On the othe hand, I have seen many people waste away in old folks homes, with nothing in their lives but pain and loneliness, and they are denied the freedom that pneumonia or the 'flu might bring for them.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Haggis McBagpipe said:
Well, I didn't realize that a personal observation based on personal experiences could be wrong, but, well, I guess I was wrong. :cool: :cool:
Sorry, my apologies. My point was (and is): yes there are old folks who die of the flu, and heck, there is a certain number of them for whom the flu is indeed a humane way to end their lives, for the reasons you said (loneliness, pain); but, there are also people who have indeed problems with their health, but not necessarily want to give up life - who have a great family, a good social life etc. Now, I understand now that I was a bit overreacting, partly out of misconception. My apologies for that. But I do not think this is warning is only creating unwanted fear, for the reasons stated in my first post.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Oh and our house had the flu last month and there was no vaccine out there yet. It's a doozy.

It sure is a doozy...two weeks later and I'm still not fully recovered.

As for the Americans possibly getting some Canadian flu shots....It really isn't likely. We have, according to the most optimistic estimates, 1.2 million possible spare doses. That's a drop in the bucket compared to what is needed. Our flu shots also aren't FDA approved for use in the US. By the time we know how much we have to give and the FDA approves it, chances are the flu season will be over.

Besides, I'm not sure Georgie really wants drugs from a backwards third world country like Canada. :wink:

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Our flu shot wouldn't work on the American flu. Ours is for Canadian flu.

Just like Canadian beer is different from American beer.

Interesting how by law our paramedics have to get the flu because of their close contact with people and the hospitals yet it isn't mandatory (I believe) for health workers.

Most doctors (I believe) don't get the shot and have continual contact with the sick public. The one's that do get the shot do not recommend getting it every year.

Yet the public is expected to get it every year, even when it is a crap shoot if the shot is formulated for the right strain.

Last year is was NOT! Millions took a useless cocktail of ingredients and Thimersol.

Many years ago, vaccine producers refused to produce product because of liability - they relented when the US government absolved them a any liability due to "acceptable risk" side effects. The government now has liability.

These people blindly crossing the border for a shot will be the first to the slaughter and will go willingly. That is good. It may give the rest of us some leeway for a short time.

"World population will have to adjust to lesser food supplies by a reduction in population. Pimentel and Pimentel (1996) stated: "the nations of the world must develop a plan to reduce the global population from near 6 billion to about 2 billion. 

If humans do not control their numbers, nature will." Because stopping and then turning around the freight train of population growth can only be done gradually, this is a project that should be started now (Cohen 1995). If it is not done famine is likely to ensure." 

Walter Youngquist, geologist

"But when the above scenario seems inevitable, the elites will simply depopulate most of the planet with bioweapons. When the time comes, it will be the only logical solution to their problem. 
It's a first-strike tactic that leaves built-in infrastructure and other species in place and allows the elites to perpetuate their own genes into the foreseeable future." 

Jay Hanson, geologist, The 'Longage of Critters' Problem

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Rick van Opbergen said:
Now, I understand now that I was a bit overreacting, partly out of misconception. My apologies for that. But I do not think this is warning is only creating unwanted fear, for the reasons stated in my first post.

Rick, no apologies needed, believe me! We are simply looking at the thing from a different angle, and of course I am aware of the other side of this - and agree with it.

I think the warning put out by the media was done in a way to make people unnecessarily frightened, especially old people. As a result, oldies were waiting for hours in line for shots that they would have received anyway (since they are the first in line to get available shots) (oh, except, ha ha, for the CONGRESSMEN who have decided they, all 500+, 'need' the shot because, and I quote, 'we shake hands with a lot of people').

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
vista said:
There is many areas we can go with this one but I won't tread too far.

All I'll say is that I don't get this shot and I am more than happy to pass my allocation on to anyone who hasn't done their homework.

Never took the shot, never will. Simple enough.

And the shortage is in the states...

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
Here we are... the elites will be sure they are taken care of.

No Flu Vaccine Shortage at the Capitol

While many Americans search in vain for flu shots, members and employees of Congress are able to obtain them quickly and at no charge from the Capitol's attending physician, who has urged all 535 lawmakers to get the vaccines even if they are young and healthy.

http://olympics.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=domesticNews&storyID=6549685

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Well that's what they say: the Congress is a very good representation of the people :roll: I mean, the US population is for 90% white right? :wink: Seriously: while older people are waiting in line for a could-be lifesaving shot, it's absurd to hear that all those healthy (some of them) young people in the Capitol are FORCED to get a shot. Why don't they just go stand in a line?