First order of business for Obama

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Obama has more threats than other presidents-elect

Obama has more threats than other presidents-elect - Yahoo! News

"since the Nov. 4 election, law enforcement officials have seen more potentially threatening writings, Internet postings and other activity directed at Obama than has been seen with any past president-elect"

That's the result of all the right wing hate shown by the news media and other haters in web forums.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Gopher,
The wackos are out and I don't care which wing they are from they are not rational people. I too, share your concern. In the US money talks and I'll bet there are some solicitations being made. This is unaccepatble and never right. The people have chosen their new President and if this republic which is ruled in a democratic way is to survive this should never happen I hope. If it does it will be a very huge tragedy with terrible consequences.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
How about Bill Clinton--Secretary of State?

Scratch, looks like it is going to be Hillary Clinton – Secretary of State. Indeed, it would be highly unusual for Bill Clinton to hold any office in Obama government; ex-presidents just don’t do that.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I know what Obama should do, but won’t, it will be politically too unpopular. But this is my recipe to fix the economy.

First, no more bailouts. USA has already spent 2 trillion dollars on bailouts, which is two trillion too many in my opinion. The worst mistake he could do is to try to bail out GM, let GM fail; it won’t be the end of the world.

Currently here is a lot of junk in the US economy, and until the junk is cleared out, there cannot be sustained recovery. That means that inefficient, loss making companies must be allowed to fail, whether it is General Motors or a bank.

Sure, that will cause plenty of hardship, but USA has been on a wrong economic path for the past eight years, and it won’t correct its course without drastic measures.

Second, Obama must make serious attempts to balance the budget. Bush has spent like a drunken sailor, currently USA runs a huge deficit. It probably will take Obama two terms to balance the budget. However, he must make a start.

That means deep, savage spending cuts; he must be absolutely ruthless, merciless in cutting spending. Nothing should be off the table, Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, nothing, everything must be cut. Perhaps across the board spending cuts of 5 % or 10% might be appropriate.

He must also increase the taxes; he needs more revenue if he is going to balance the budget. And not just tax increases for the rich. It is necessary to increase taxes on the rich, for economic fairness. However, that does not generate a lot of revenue; there just aren’t that many rich people around. Serious revenue can be raised only by a tax increase on the middle class.

By letting the weak, financially troubled companies fail and at the same time putting the government’s house in order, seeds will be sowed for economic recovery and there will be a recovery in a few years.

Sure it will cause a lot of hardship. However, US economy is on life support and it won’t be revived without drastic measures.

However, I don’t see any of this happening. While this is probably the only recipe for lasting economic recovery, it is also a recipe for surefire political suicide. I don’t see that happening.

I have always held the view that neither Obama nor McCain will be able to solve the economic problems facing USA. My prediction is that USA is in a long term decline, it will continue sinking slowly but surely under the mountain of debt and deficit.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
And Bush's bailouts still have not been paid for as tax dollars have not been allocated in order to finance them. Bush's deficit must first be eliminated, then we can worry about further government expenditures.