Federally funded National Arts Centre event to allow only 'Black-identifying' theatregoers

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Not a millennium. It occurred because a politician was able to exploit and expand a division between two groups and make people scared and angry about the smaller group. Then that politician took that fear and anger and used it to convince people to allow him to commit an atrocity that served his purpose.

Anti-Semitism was strong in parts of Europe long before Hitler came on the scene. At one time ,Jews were forbidden to do almost any kind of work except bankers.
Yeah, that's what I said.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Not a millennium. It occurred because a politician was able to exploit and expand a division between two groups and make people scared and angry about the smaller group. Then that politician took that fear and anger and used it to convince people to allow him to commit an atrocity that served his purpose.

Anti-Semitism was strong in parts of Europe long before Hitler came on the scene. At one time ,Jews were forbidden to do almost any kind of work except bankers.
Sure. But nobody wanted to round them up and gas them. They gypsies, same story.

The division was already there. But - the holocaust was not just the natural and inevitable progression of that dislike. That happened for the reasons i noted.

And if it hadn't been the jews and the gypsies, then some other group would have been exploited in the same way.

These things happen when politicians are allowed to sell the idea that the "other" is out to get you and you need to do something about it.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Oh, I'm not saying that it being illegal is insignificant. Just that I think the ethos is more of a factor than the law.

It's a hair-fine distinction, because the law (the basic stuff, not the highly technical, abstruse parts) is part of the cultural ethos.
So what you're saying is if the ethos wasn't strong enough to have a major impact by itself we wouldn't have a law forbidding it in the first place because there'd be less impetus, ergo it's hard to measure which came first the ethos or the law, sort of a chicken and egg situation.

Fair point. It's probably historically demostrably true that the stronger the ethos the stronger the law in such regards. So i'll concede that.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So what you're saying is if the ethos wasn't strong enough to have a major impact by itself we wouldn't have a law forbidding it in the first place because there'd be less impetus, ergo it's hard to measure which came first the ethos or the law, sort of a chicken and egg situation.

Fair point. It's probably historically demostrably true that the stronger the ethos the stronger the law in such regards. So i'll concede that.
Nope, not what I'm saying at all. But we end up at the same place, so I'm OK with it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So are you trying to tell us the hiring was not done on merit?
If it was, they got really stupid ideas of "merit." And Gertrude was even worse than Hamlet, and she was a White woman, pretty much the traditional ethnicity/sex for Gertrude (at least after that surly old asshole James I kicked the bucket).

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Sure. But nobody wanted to round them up and gas them. They gypsies, same story.

The division was already there. But - the holocaust was not just the natural and inevitable progression of that dislike. That happened for the reasons i noted.

And if it hadn't been the jews and the gypsies, then some other group would have been exploited in the same way.

These things happen when politicians are allowed to sell the idea that the "other" is out to get you and you need to do something about it.
You mean like "Mexicans are drug dealers, rapists, and murderers?"

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
You mean like "Mexicans are drug dealers, rapists, and murderers?"
Well like the illegal immigrant version is, sure :) Or like the unvaxxed, or like the irish, or like how if blacks had their freedom they'd rampage and none of our womenfolk would be safe, or lets not forget the commies (warren commission) or the gays and transvesties. Or the christians, or the jews, or the protestants or the Catholics,

Since the beginning of human history political leaders have found one group to alienate and get everyone else afraid of or angry at (or better yet both) in order to weaponize them adn motivate the people to turn over power. It's always that way - "Threat posed by gays/mexicans/unvaxxed/jews is real!! You must therefore give me extraordinary powers to deal with this crisis, which i promise i'll give back as soon as the threat is over. If you give anyone else power or fail to give me extraordinary powers, then this evil threat will kill you and eat your babies. "

It's an old saying - the power hungry dictator will always declare an emergency first before trying to seize power.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

• Sad

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well like the illegal immigrant version is, sure :) Or like the unvaxxed, or like the irish, or like how if blacks had their freedom they'd rampage and none of our womenfolk would be safe, or lets not forget the commies (warren commission) or the gays and transvesties. Or the christians, or the jews, or the protestants or the Catholics,

Since the beginning of human history political leaders have found one group to alienate and get everyone else afraid of or angry at (or better yet both) in order to weaponize them adn motivate the people to turn over power. It's always that way - "Threat posed by gays/mexicans/unvaxxed/jews is real!! You must therefore give me extraordinary powers to deal with this crisis, which i promise i'll give back as soon as the threat is over. If you give anyone else power or fail to give me extraordinary powers, then this evil threat will kill you and eat your babies. "

It's an old saying - the power hungry dictator will always declare an emergency first before trying to seize power.
Maybe y'all should be more wary of Pete Poo-lover, then. "Everything is broken and only I can fix it" is pretty close to a declaration of emergency.

Or maybe it's just election-season puffery. Be interesting to watch.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Maybe y'all should be more wary of Pete Poo-lover, then. "Everything is broken and only I can fix it" is pretty close to a declaration of emergency.

Or actually declaring an emergency is pretty close to declaring an emergency.

It’s got to be really close (less than a month) to the first anniversary of Trudeau digging out the actual Federal Emergencies Act for bylaw enforcement of the parking situation in Ottawa.
1675082881285.jpeg
1675083065169.jpeg

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
it's not even remotely close to a declaration of emergency. Like - not even a little. It's actually the 'other' most popular political angle, one used effectively by Obama in his race: "things need to change". Is there something you're unhappy about my friends? Is something in your life less than perfect? Why isn't anyone fixing that? It seems so obvious that it' not acceptable. You know what - I can fix that for you. Vote for me. Just do it.

Change is another huge motivator, although obviously timing is important with that one.

The thing about dictators is they will demand extraordinary power to 'save you'. Powers you would not normally want the gov't to have, but MUST have now because CRISIS!!!!!

You know - like having the power to censor the internet against "Wrongspeak" and the power to seize people's bank accounts and the like :)

Oh no. I'm quite sure PP does intend to bring change :) LOL.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's a shame that the best political speech ever given was by President Andrew Shepard in The American President.

Oh, well, Henry V never gave the St. Crispin's Day speech.

You know - like having the power to censor the internet against "Wrongspeak" and the power to seize people's bank accounts and the like
I'd settle for having the power to rid the internet of "Fuckingidiotspeak."

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Who would get to decide what “Fuckingidiotspeak” is though? That’s the crunch issue here.
You mean. . . you disapprove of True Dope?

Damn, I never woulda guessed. . .
I know I can be subtle but it’s Trudeau, I mean true though.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

Well, almost everything is broken. Worse, our governments insist on letting the people that created the mess be responsible for the fix. We see thjis at all levels of government.

Reactions: petros

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
It's a shame that the best political speech ever given was by President Andrew Shepard in The American President.

Oh, well, Henry V never gave the St. Crispin's Day speech.

There would be a lot of lefties with nothing left to say.