Federal Heating Rebate

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
How about lowering the Tax bill that way everybody gets a break.I know its going to be a fight to heat this house and pay for it :( The wood stove may have to go in just to stay warm this year 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Federal Heating Rebat

I think it should be based on income. Lower income people tend to live in older housing and cannot afford to insulate etc. The new bill leaves out everybody without children between the ages of 19 and 65 though. The rebates should be based on household income. They should also be higher. Even with the rebates poor people are going to have to choose between heating and food. Some who depend on vehicles for employment (like couriers) are getting hit with a double whammy.

I have little pity for people living in monster houses with double attached, heated garages. If they have to pay for making wasteful choices, tough titty.

I do think that there has to be a more reasonable program for upgrading houses to save energy. Right now you need to meet minimums and jump through hoops for a minimal return.

Why not drop the GST on insulation, windows and doors, etc? That would be a 7% saving on a good chunk of renovation costs. Why not allow people to save their receipts from a renovation and give them an income tax break on that? A lot of people cannot afford to meet the minimums, so they replace one door or window at a time. They get nothing back for doing that.

Why not offer low-cost loans to people who want to move to alternate heating methods? Heat pumps, solar and wind-powered electric, etc. are all choices that people who would benefit the most cannot make because they lack the initial capital.

How about changing the building codes? Double offset stud walls reduce heat loss. Require better windows and doors. Make heat pumps standard in all new developments.

Everything I've mentioned here not only saves energy, but will generate economic activity and produce jobs. All rebates on heating do in the long term is use our tax money to pay corporations that are already making record profits.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

He's fully aware of it, Mr. Mom. He's also been pushing it for a long time. That's what happens when you base policy on science, technology and fact instead of the best interest of your corporate donors.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
So why shouldn't middle income earners get some sort of rebate? These are after all taxpayers dollars which everyone single one of us contributed in some form or another.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC
So why shouldn't middle income earners get some sort of rebate? These are after all taxpayers dollars which everyone single one of us contributed in some form or another.

bevvyd

Electoral Member
Jul 29, 2004
Mission, BC

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I never said that we shouldn't, I said that it should be based on income. The biggest rebates should go to those who need it the most, the smallest should go to those who need it the least.

Even those at the very top of the income scale would get a 7% break if we dropped the GST from energy-saving products.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

So how do you get in on it? Is it automatic? How do you find out about the furnace rebates. We need a new furnace......

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Hey Twinks hold of on the new furnace as long as you can.I've heard through a installer friennd of mine that the plan will be the goverment will reimburse you the cost of a new high eficency furnace .All you'll have to pay is the installation cost .I think its part of meeting the Kyoto plan targets .When I get more details I'll let you know .My old rumbler downstairs needs replacing too :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Careful with the high efficiency ones. If you own an older home that hasn't been brought up to R-2000+ standards, they can actually run too much and end up using more fuel, as well as wearing out prematurely.

An honest salesman will tell you that, and most companies are pretty good about it, but there are some rather unscrupulous types out there who will sell you the most expensive thing they can instead. If the government is paying, they'll be coming out of the woodwork.

There are models that are fairly efficient, almost certainly better than what you have now, but won't cause problems in an older house.

The flip side of that is that if you have an older house and bring it up to R-2000 standards, you should also consider a smaller, more efficient furnace because an old large one can cause much the same problem.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Our place was built in the 1980's we have new windows. new siding Apprently great insulation.

I don't know if that's considered an older home

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

Pick a reputable company and tell your furnace salesman that. He'll have a better idea of what that means in your province...provincial codes vary a lot.

If you've got 2x6 studs and fibreglass insulation, combined with a decent vapour barrier, you should be okay though. You might even be able to get one of those that vents out the wall instead of requiring a chimney.