Electric Bikes/eBikes - Restrictions?

Chicken Warrior

Apr 18, 2007
Okay, eBikes sound too good to be true, but I'm willing to accept that you can own and ride them without licensing or insurance. What I can't figure out is:

Parking restrictions. Most of these are much bulker than 'normal' bikes, and you're not going to slip them into standard bike locks. Since they're key-operated (w/ security, often) you can park them wherever according to the technology, but what about the law? Are you going to get in trouble for leaving them on the sidewalk?

Sidewalk. You're not aloud to operate them on sidewalks, so I assume you can walk them like any other bike?

Capacity. Some of these bikes seem to have room for two, or even two seats. They don't provide foot rests for second occupants, but I think it's pretty clear they're giving room for a passenger. So is this legal?

My standard bike was recently stolen and I'm just weighing out my options. I'm perfectly capable on a normal bike, but if an electric would mean I could go further/faster, it might be a worthwhile investment.