Drag Queen Discovers Human Skulls In Bucktown Apartment

jwv

Nominee Member
May 3, 2007
Ontario
WMAQ-TV

CHICAGO - Local artist and drag performer Jojo Baby thinks he's fairly open minded, but what he saw inside a Wicker Park apartment this week blew him away.
http://www.nbc5.com/slideshow/13245068/detail.html

Baby was at eBay seller Brian Sloan's apartment to buy vintage mannequins for his studio, where he creates dolls and puppets.
But instead, Baby said he saw human skulls boiling inside Sloan's apartment.
Baby said Sloan, 26, told him they came from China, but left the apartment concerned and called police.
On Tuesday night, Sloan arrived home to see police lined up outside his house.
Police confiscated four human skulls -- one of which was in a pot of water when they arrived.
Sloan has a law degree but makes a living selling various items on the Internet -- including a batch of vintage mannequins that were on the steps of his back porch. Sloan said the skulls are imported legally, but police still confiscated them.
Sloan said medical students, doctors and anthropologists buy the skulls on eBay. There are several human skulls for sale on eBay that range in price from $100 to $800.
Lt. Perry Nigro said no other human remains were found, but the skulls have been turned over to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office as part of the investigation.
"It doesn?t appear to be anything untoward at this time," Nigro said. "As weird as it is, it doesn?t seem like anything is wrong."
The skulls were sent to the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office for examination.
Grand Central Area detectives have talked to the man and continue investigating, the lieutenant said.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Trading in dead human bodies strikes me as odd. Shouldn't a dead person, no matter what the circumstances of acquisition, have a right to some dignity?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Trading in dead human bodies strikes me as odd. Shouldn't a dead person, no matter what the circumstances of acquisition, have a right to some dignity?

I was disgusted to learn that in the US, bodies sold for medical research are then sold off bit by bit once they've served their purpose in the schools and labs. People can buy human finger and toe bones for making jewelry, and clothing fobs, or whatever else they might fancy. While they don't have a widespread use, it's obviously NOT what people intended when they sold themselves for research.

Vicious_Paperclip

Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB

Should be up to that person, no? For myself I would want them to use every cell available to further research or give someone a few extra years to live. I can completely understand why someone would not want their body cut up after they die but it should be up to that person. Illegal, not agreed upon, trading of bodies is of course rather disturbing yes.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Should be up to that person, no? For myself I would want them to use every cell available to further research or give someone a few extra years to live. I can completely understand why someone would not want their body cut up after they die but it should be up to that person. Illegal, not agreed upon, trading of bodies is of course rather disturbing yes.

See, I can understand wanting to 'us every cell' for research. but, once the researchers are done with you, parting you out on eBay? That's not right.

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
See, I can understand wanting to 'us every cell' for research. but, once the researchers are done with you, parting you out on eBay? That's not right.

Indeed. And selling off finger bones as jewellry and clothing fobs?? Good grief!