Does oppression takes a backseat to religious freedom

zoofer

Council Member
Dec 31, 2005
It is fine to theorize that in a couple of generations fundamental Muslims will adopt some Western ways. That only works if they are assimilated. But if large numbers keep immigrating or are "refugeeing" , then once a critical mass is in place they can and will live as they did back home. A diverse group in the Canadian mosaic. A mini ME. Multicult in action.
Mexican flag wavers in Cali and rioters in France should raise a red flag.

Jersay

House Member
Dec 1, 2005
Independent Palestine
First off, you have to see if the woman wants to wear a burka or not. Most western Muslim women happily wear the burka and try turning into a fashion style.

Two, you have to see if it affects the person or people around her.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Jersay said:
First off, you have to see if the woman wants to wear a burka or not. Most western Muslim women happily wear the burka and try turning into a fashion style.

Two, you have to see if it affects the person or people around her.

Hey Jersey: Do you know for a fact that these women are really that happy. If someone is oppressed and led to believe that is the only way to live, does that make it right?
Just asking. I mean our society has worked to further the rights of race, sexual orientation and women. Why is this different?

I'm listening.
M

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Just because you see a woman wearing a burka, doesn't mean she really agrees with it. She could be forced into it by her husband, and too afraid to do anything about it.

How many spousal abuse cases do we hear about that go unreported for YEARS because the woman was afraid that, if she told, she'd get beaten more...? Now, on top of that phenomenon, add the fact that many of the women who wear the Burka immigrated from a society where "honour killings" of females by male relatives is common...

Do you think EVERY woman wearing a burka is doing so by choice? Call me cynical, but I don't.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
RE: Does oppression takes

The heading for this thread is difficult to answer but I would have to say that religious freedom always leads to oppression , that's why I will work for the elimination of religion and it's criminalization especially when it's taught to children.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Ok, forget it, I see your point after a quick re-cap of the original post.

Since the idea of most religions is to submit your will, I would say that yes, it does lead to oppression within certain denomonations.