Does Canada Need Chinese EVs?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So I saw a news story from Jesse Kline titled "Freeland's War on Chinese EVs Shows Hypocrisy of Liberal's Climate Agenda". I won't leave a link because the article is a big, fat nothing-burger.

Now the thing is we don't know exactly what the Liberal response will be as they're having a "30 day consultation period" to discuss the matter but I say Kline is trying for a gotcha moment and failed. Canada doesn't need Chinese EVs. They are absolute pieces of crap and frankly, they're dangerous. And with all the connected technology being built into cars these days, they could be used for espionage purposes by unwitting owners. Especially any with the "self-driving" feature whether active or not. Although the lack of vehicle reliability could hamper those efforts.

Canada's response should be to ban Chinese EVs altogether since the CCP is simply using them to dump cheap ass, poorly made cars nobody in China wants or can afford to waste money on. They also have next to no re-sale value.

So no, I personally don't think super-high tariffs or even an outright ban shows any hypocrisy at all when it comes to "climate change". What's your thoughts?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Biodiesel son, biodiesel.
Biodiesel + Winter = piles of additives & increased maintenance costs or huge repair bills. A low (2% biodiesel) addition in the warmer months actually helps scrub out that motor…but in winter (real winter) it’s just problematic.
No, Canada needs to outlaw EV's entirely.
Or just let the people decide for themselves? I know, crazy and radical.
Scooters for old people and wheelchairs for quadriplegics should run on diesel engines!
Scooters for old people and wheelchairs for quadriplegics need to be both indoor and outdoor conveyances. Chinese EV’s, not so much.
Cuz that's the way that's right!
Ok.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Biodiesel + Winter = piles of additives & increased maintenance costs or huge repair bills. A low (2% biodiesel) addition in the warmer months actually helps scrub out that motor…but in winter (real winter) it’s just problematic.
Just like gasoline there is winter diesel and summer diesel. A smart system would bypass the regurgitator when idling below zero. A fuel heater too but hey....I'm just a guy.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
No, Canada needs to outlaw EV's entirely.

Scooters for old people and wheelchairs for quadriplegics should run on diesel engines!

Cuz that's the way that's right!
Yeah dude, that's exactly what I said. 🙄 Have you been drinking again?

China's EVs are not only notoriously unreliable but due to their third-rate EV battery tech they have a nasty tendency to spontaneously combust. They're junk-mobiles that nobody in China wants anymore which is why the CCP is desperate to dump them on anyone stupid enough to import them.

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah dude, that's exactly what I said. 🙄 Have you been drinking again?

China's EVs are not only notoriously unreliable but due to their third-rate EV battery tech they have a nasty tendency to spontaneously combust. They're junk-mobiles that nobody in China wants anymore which is why the CCP is desperate to dump them on anyone stupid enough to import them.
Tesla is going hydrogen.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
So I saw a news story from Jesse Kline titled "Freeland's War on Chinese EVs Shows Hypocrisy of Liberal's Climate Agenda". I won't leave a link because the article is a big, fat nothing-burger.

Now the thing is we don't know exactly what the Liberal response will be as they're having a "30 day consultation period" to discuss the matter but I say Kline is trying for a gotcha moment and failed. Canada doesn't need Chinese EVs. They are absolute pieces of crap and frankly, they're dangerous. And with all the connected technology being built into cars these days, they could be used for espionage purposes by unwitting owners. Especially any with the "self-driving" feature whether active or not. Although the lack of vehicle reliability could hamper those efforts.

Canada's response should be to ban Chinese EVs altogether since the CCP is simply using them to dump cheap ass, poorly made cars nobody in China wants or can afford to waste money on. They also have next to no re-sale value.

So no, I personally don't think super-high tariffs or even an outright ban shows any hypocrisy at all when it comes to "climate change". What's your thoughts?
I don't think the tariff proposal has anything to do with climate change as such. It has everything to do with limiting competition for all the EV battery plants our government has squandered our money on in OntariOWE.
Gotta keep buying them Unifor votes.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We've been utilizing hydrogen for heat since hominids burned their hair off for the first time.

If you had a product that that you've been shipping globally for centuries and had the tech to reduce shipping by 75% but the capital costs were ridiculous and skilled labour rapidly evapourating, how far would you go to convince your customers to carry the burden of a 50+ year ROI?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I don't think the tariff proposal has anything to do with climate change as such. It has everything to do with limiting competition for all the EV battery plants our government has squandered our money on in OntariOWE.
Gotta keep buying them Unifor votes.
To be fair here, Chinese EVs are heavily subsidized pieces of scrap metal and plastic. And if the Liberals wanna engage in a little industry protectionism that has the added benefit of preventing those Chinese Ronsons from endangering Canadians, I'm all for it.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
To be fair here, Chinese EVs are heavily subsidized pieces of scrap metal and plastic. And if the Liberals wanna engage in a little industry protectionism that has the added benefit of preventing those Chinese Ronsons from endangering Canadians, I'm all for it.
Thousands upon thousands are sitting in ports globally just to brag about EV export numbers.

1000015927.jpg

Reactions: Jinentonix